Ram Air Hood - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Ram Air Hood

Molly B's Hood

After I saw the ram air hood on Molly B.'s '94 T-Bird, I fell in love with it. I have been looking but haven't found too much. I talked to her and she said that her hood was made by Legendary, which may now be out of business. I searched the forums here at TCCoA and I found this link: http://www.trendesignautosports.com/...Autosports.htm. I think they have what I am looking for. I found this picture of a hood for a '96 or '97 T-Bird. I think this is what Molly B. has for her '94, but for a '96. They have it on sale for $500, I haven't looked at hoods too much, so is this a good price or no?

Hood I found for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:29 AM

It's a decent price. It's really the only one made that's not just another cowl, so you're kinda stuck if you are in love with that style. Look into having a scoop put on to your stock hood, it might come out cheaper. Even if it's the same price, you at least get to pick exactly what your hood will look like... Just a thought.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
I'm pretty sure Trend Designs is just reselling the Legendary hood. Quality is so-so and actually having the hood fit out of the box (don't fool yourself, it'll ship in a large cardboard box) is about 50/50. Be prepared to spend the purchase price making the hood fit correctly/not look like crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Is there a performance benefit of having the ram air?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInDade
Is there a performance benefit of having the ram air?

not really. unless you spend all of your time doing over 70mph.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina

joseph
And what will it do for me over 70mph? Just cool everything down?

Last edited by MadeInDade; 01-23-2005 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:32 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NightWind
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina

joseph
some of us do..... The "Ram air effect" suppoely starts to take place between 75-80 MPH. If the Ram air setup is done right you feel an extra push when it starts to kick in, other that its a really cool cold air intake.

Yeah if i wasn't half a sleep I could write better, but sleep is over rated...?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

So does your air filter need to be moved to where the scoops in the hood are?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Anything But Typical

Send a message via AIM to BambiRambino47
Hey, the Ram Air on mine kept my car from overheating on the way back to Ohio with a two year old, two cats and my mom, so I'm in love with it.

Anyway, I wanted to add, once you do get your hood, wherever you get it from, be sure to get some kind of hood pins. If it's not latched right, or whatever, those hoods take off like a rocket. May result in something similar to this:

Good luck.

--Molly
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 05:15 PM
PostWhore

That sucks.... I see a sticker at the left lower corner of the windshield that looks a lot like my Ft Campbell Ky one. Is that a military base sticker? Yes, if you put on a fiberglass hood, do NOT do it with out hood pins or locks.

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
275/50/17 M&H DR on the rear

Click for Full Project
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:50 AM

Yeah it is, from when we were living together and I was in the Navy.....

--Craig
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Anything But Typical

I wrecked my car going less than 5 mph in October of 2003, rear-ended an Altima. Destroyed my front end. The hood wouldn't latch, but the Tappan Zee Bridge (NY) road people wanted me off the bridge, told me to drive it off.... TOLD me the hood was latched. It wasn't. It was really cute having that hood fly up, smack the windshield... slivers of friggin' glass everywhere. I was screaming, my son was screaming, the guy following me in the FLAT BED truck got out and yelled at ME! ARGGGH!!!! I still find little pieces of glass here and there...

I had nice locking hood pins, too, but they were busted. But, funny, the flat bed driver that took me all the way home, managed to fasten the hood really well using rope and what was left of the hood pins. Friggin' hood didn't move all 100+ miles home. So..... even though they weren't working right, they still worked in the end!!! And, after that, I learned from other posters here... when the hood don't latch, get some duct tape, stick it to your jeans to take some of the sticky away, and tape your hood down. So, duct tape in my trunk it is! More good advice for anyone with a 'glass hood.

--Molly
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
So does your air filter need to be moved to where the scoops in the hood are?
If you want ram air. There is a Bird out there with it, but I wouldnt think there are very many gains over a cold air kit.

--Craig
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiRambino47
Hey, the Ram Air on mine kept my car from overheating on the way back to Ohio with a two year old, two cats and my mom, so I'm in love with it.

Anyway, I wanted to add, once you do get your hood, wherever you get it from, be sure to get some kind of hood pins. If it's not latched right, or whatever, those hoods take off like a rocket. May result in something similar to this:

Good luck.

--Molly
i have the same hood and have not had a problem yet (knock on wood).
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by show
i have the same hood and have not had a problem yet (knock on wood).
Did you move your intake filter to the scoops of the ram air hood? Where did you get your hood, and how much did you pay? Any problems with it fitting? Because people have told some not too of thing about Legendary and how their hoods fit.

Last edited by MadeInDade; 01-26-2005 at 08:42 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:18 PM

i did not get the one with the scoops. that is the one that i wanted but could not find it. as for it fitting i had to mod it to fit. i had to shave under the top part of the hood for the wippers to work and add to the bottom corners to match the fenders and the headlights. the hood was ment for a 95 t-bird. i ordered mine from a company i found in the MMFF magazine.

Last edited by "show"; 01-25-2005 at 11:38 PM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by show
as for it fitting i had to mod it to fit. i had to shave under the top part of the hood for the wippers to work and add to the bottom corners to match the fenders and the headlights. the hood was ment for a 95 t-bird.
Well that makes since, having to mod the '95 hood to fit your '96. But I have been hearing stories about having to mod the correct year hood. I have also heard of them coming damaged, taking months for delivery, and sometimes never being delivered.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:55 AM

not sure about that mine was not damaged and it did not take long to get. my body kit took alot longer. when we ordered mine we could not find any company that makes it for a 96-97 style cougar or bird. they advertised that they did but when we called they said that they don't make them for that model. so that is why i ordered the 94-95 cause it is not much different in outer shape. the shop in winnipeg here that i get all my stuff from orders hoods all the time and very seldom has a problem with shipping of damaged hoods.

Last edited by "show"; 01-27-2005 at 09:00 AM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Blaze
Quote:
Molly B's Hood

After I saw the ram air hood on Molly B.'s '94 T-Bird, I fell in love with it. I have been looking but haven't found too much. I talked to her and she said that her hood was made by Legendary, which may now be out of business. I searched the forums here at TCCoA and I found this link: http://www.trendesignautosports.com/...Autosports.htm. I think they have what I am looking for. I found this picture of a hood for a '96 or '97 T-Bird. I think this is what Molly B. has for her '94, but for a '96. They have it on sale for $500, I haven't looked at hoods too much, so is this a good price or no?

Hood I found for sale
are you sure you didnt fall in love w/ her? She's pretty cute.

Bradley Blaze
I'd Love to Live Life in the Fast Lane, but I'm Married to a Speed Bump
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Blaze
are you sure you didnt fall in love w/ her? She's pretty cute.
Yeah, I'm definitely sure. That was the best pic I could find, she just happend to be in it.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:55 PM

Check out Esther when she was mine.

--Craig

Last edited by Deus003; 01-27-2005 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Included link
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Anything But Typical

Here's a better pic of the hood sans me:

If you notice, the shine at the top of the hood, there's a depression there... I'm hoping the dealer you've found does a better job on the hood than they did on the ones that I've had.

--Molly
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

What everyone says about the hoods needing work to put them on is more than true. Also, once you get them on they may need quite a bit of work to make them look good before the paint goes on.

I got my hood for $300 from Erebuni. It was the last one they had, and I saved on shipping by taking the ride to Brooklyn in my old man's pickup to get it. IT barely fit in the back end, but I made it home.

It's not a cowl hood, but I like it. Cervinis makes one similar for early MN12 Birds, which can be customized to accept a later front clip. Lonnie did it to his bird.

Just giving ya options.

-John Fordham

Thunderbird and Cougar Club of Southern New York
1993 Cougar XR7 302 HO AOD
240,000 miles and still running strong

1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer 302 HO AWD
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Man, I love that picture every time I see it... One of my favorite Cougars out there. I'd say it is the best looking MN12 Cougar I've seen. The overall look is awesome!

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:56 AM

hey johnny you right i got the same hood on my 93 thunderbird love it and its was not hard to put on it only took less then a hour . don't they make something to go under it or is that made for the mustang ram air hood they got that look like yours
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthunder
hey johnny you right i got the same hood on my 93 thunderbird love it and its was not hard to put on it only took less then a hour . don't they make something to go under it or is that made for the mustang ram air hood they got that look like yours

I believe Cervinis "functional" ram air kit is only available for Mustangs. It may be possible to get the mustang kit and hook it up on a Thunderbird hood, but it would probably require a great deal of fabrication.

My hood is not a Cervinis, and I am kicking myself for not getting one. Mine is the last one Erebuni put out, and had a lot of stuff wrong with it, and is not finished on the underside. If I had to do it again, I would go Cervinis and trim off the nose.

But this thread was about Molly. I mean, Molly's Cobra R Ram Air hood. Lets get back on track.

-John Fordham

Thunderbird and Cougar Club of Southern New York
1993 Cougar XR7 302 HO AOD
240,000 miles and still running strong

1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer 302 HO AWD
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Automatic Weapon

Could we PLEASE stop posting the pic of "Esther" wrecked?

Hurts every time I see it.

She was always a good girl, but sometimes you just have to let go of the one you care most about.

<----not throwing rocks at girls anymore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in