headlight problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

headlight problem

So my headlights used to be stock, and then I bought "cool blue" bulbs, which did nothing for making it brighter or or anything. Then I bought the silverstar ones, and the headlights still suck. They also do nothing that would let me know why I paid 40 dollars for these bulbs. Also my headlights seem to be casting the light on the ground, rather than out in front of the car, and I cant move the bulbs to point up as they dont move. Any suggestions on why my bulbs suck and point at the ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:14 PM
6th Gear Poster

u can aim them...use the search and it will provide you with step by step directions to do this.

from what i can remember, there are two things (not sure what they are called, i think they take a 4mm) that are behind each headlight...one turns it from side to side and the other one from bottom to top. But there is an exact way of how to do it. Doesn't take but 5 mins to fix.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:39 PM
PostWhore

Cool

Are your lenses yellowed? It looks like a dirty yellow haze just like it sounds. If they are, fear not! Fore they can be cleaned! Go to your local auto parts store and look for a product that is made to clean plastic lenses. Or, you can do this. Get some Meguire's, or any brand for that matter, number one paint cleaner, and an auto polish, and any wax. Apply the paint cleaner as you would on your car to your lense. Work it real good and don't be scared to rub it , but not like a Bangee! If it is real bad you can use some Very fine steel wool. Once you've cleaned it, you should see a big differance already. Now, take some polish and go to town! It will bring it up even better. Now the cleaning is done, just wax it to protect it. The Silverstars are about the best you can buy, other then converting to HID. Go to www.Sylvania.com for the scoop on these and other bulbs. I can't help you with aiming them, I can tell that these headlights were designed to throw a wider beam as oppossed to a long one. However, I can tell you this, Once I cleaned mine and installed the Silverstars, a stray deer on a dark road is not hard to spot!
Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Banned

wow silverstar headlights suck?...man i should take back my bulbs huh?

-Mike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
Yeah but Mike dont forget you upgraded your wiring harness too so that makes a big difference in how the silverstars perform.

Mine look like stock bulbs from the outside, but from inside the car they are really bright and have a blue tinge to them. They light up the road really well. It sounds like you need to clean your headlights and aim them. After that you'll be surprised how well they light up the road.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBird
Yeah but Mike dont forget you upgraded your wiring harness too so that makes a big difference in how the silverstars perform.
shhhhhh he dont know that!...lol..

-Mike
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I cant seem to be able to find these "screws", or whatever they are called to adjust them. Could anyone supply a picture pointing out what needs to be adjusted?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 08:39 PM
PostWhore

Cool

I'll try to send you a picture of the headlight with the adjustment screws location.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
On my Cougar there were 3 screws that hold in the headlight housing. I had busted one or some and got some new ones. I removed the headlight housing, and adjusted the screws while they were out using some vice-grip pliers. The screws come out by pulling the pins out. It was a little hard, but not a big problem. The pins are about 1" wide and 1.5" tall and the top is bent down away from the headlight panel. I couldn't get the pin out with what I had, so I put a piece of wire in the hole at the top and pulled them out like that. The headlight screws are twisted in the headlight assembly pretty good, so I had to use pliers to get them out, but you should be able to adjust them while they're in. Top ones go in to move the light up, and bottom ones go out. Your lights may not line up with the corners after this because they're the way they're supposed to be, pointing at the ground instead of in other peoples' eyes. I sure pissed a lot of people off with my lights. I also bought a pair of the rectangular blue-lensed fog lights at Wal-Mart. I had the ones that were $40 and had the wireless remote. You can get some for $20-25 there without the remote. Wire them up come on with either your high beams, low beams, or parking lights, or just use the switch. I hooked mine up to my high AND low beams using some diodes from Radio Shack. If you want the specific name, ask me. I might be able to get the number too. So when I turn on my high beams or low beams, they stay on. It's $1.50 for the diodes, and well worth it. Relays are about $3.50, and the wiring should all be there for the rest. If you need some help with wiring, ask. All you might need is a femal connector and a piece of wire.

Waxed vs. cloudy headlights:

There is a BIGGGGG differece between the two, even if they aren't totally crystal clear. I was able to see pretty good. Headlights were pointed almost straight ahead, as were my 55wt. foglights, but after I cleaned them, I got flashed quite a bit. Flashed as in headlights, as in from cars, not women.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks everyone for the help.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:41 AM

i just need new head lights and i think it would be cool if they where clear head lights not like the stock ones.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
You could just upgrade to a 96/97 front end. Replace the bumper, hood, headlights, corners, and headlight panel. You'd get some money from your current parts as well, so there's probably half the money for parts.

Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

I have thought about doing the 96/97 front end conversion, but their is too much work involved. Too much replacing to be done.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Better than my Bronco. If I went with an older or newer front end, I'd have to replace the fenders too, and some other little stuff would need to be changed. Still thinking about it. But I think I'd go with the 80-86 front end because they look the best with a billet grill.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwamo
I have thought about doing the 96/97 front end conversion, but their is too much work involved. Too much replacing to be done.
just do the headlight conversion..i myself love the design of the 94-95 bumpers..but hate the yellow headlights..thats why you do the headlight conversion using 96+ style lights..the 96+ lights will look great on your 95 front bumper..search this and you'll find many answers..

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in