Windshield wipers do not park........... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Windshield wipers do not park...........

My windshield wipers do not park anymore.

Is this usually the multifunction switch, or could one of the contacts in the motor need attention?

Just looking for opinions..............

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 01:23 PM

i'd say that maybe a contact is dirty on your MFS or something is up w/ it.........i wouldn't say the motor if everything else (other wiper modes) work.......the wipers "park" themselves when the mfs is turned OFF.....perhaps the MFS isn't sending the signal to the wiper motor to park the wipers when it's in the off position.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 02:42 AM

Re: Windshield wipers do not park...........

Quote:
Originally posted by Rolling-Thunder
My windshield wipers do not park anymore.

Is this usually the multifunction switch, or could one of the contacts in the motor need attention?

Just looking for opinions..............
Do you just mean that they stop immediately where-ever they are when you shut them off, or they just don't go all the way down?

The reason that I ask is that mine just don't go all the way down and I'd like to know if this is normal with these things or if there is a solution. It bugs me having my passenger wiper resting 6 inches up from the base of the windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 03:32 AM

kinda sounds like the park circuitry but I would bet on the multi function switch as they tend to start acting flakey when our cars get about 60-100K on them. it doesn't take long to replace and you might as well do the ignition switch at the same time they also tend to fail with age.

you can get them both for about 65 bux from 5 star ford or expressautoparts.com also has the motorcraft parts.

-chadbob
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 09:53 AM

wipers problem

This sounds like a problem I had on my Grand Marquis. I cleaned the contacts at the wiring connector on the Wiper Motor and they worked fine afterwards. It's worth a shot...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 09:56 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to tbirdfive0
mine dont go all the way down either... i always jsut got out and pushed them all the way down

Jay
2006 Ford Fusion SEL V6
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 11:46 AM

If you wind up needing a switch, the one in my T-Bird is in great shape. 20 shipped.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 11:58 AM

no don't fix it.

just go to autozone and get some really ugly wipers that match your car. the shinier the better. drive around with one wiper halfway up. everyone will think that you have a rice..ahem...race car.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

My wipers seem to park in a higher position than they used to, but I never really paid much attention to it.

I just replaced the Multi-function switch, mainly because I was having trouble getting the hazards to work, and it made no difference in the park position of the wipers.

It cured the other problem though...............

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
Thanks for the ride !
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 03:33 PM

My car has had the same problem since I bought it. The wipers do not park.
I changed the MFS some time ago because of headlights problems too, but it didn't make a difference in the wipers. Also the intermittent function doesn't work. I know it's not the MFS, but don't know if I should change the motor or what to do.

Besides that I still have problems with the headlights. They are not reliable with the pull-switch and my Autolamp switch just stopped working. I've read there was a recall on this issue, but I think that doesn't work down here.

Have a lot of electrical problems...

Any solutions for the wipers and the headlights?

Thanks!!!!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Listening on 141.850 mHz!

Wiper arms

Ditto for me, but they go down far enough so as not to be a nuisance. The passenger side goes all the way down, the driver side is off by about an inch. A little nudge down and they stay. No biggie.

Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 4.6L Cobra V8
1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition 4.6L V8 - gone.
Might be a 2005-2007 Jaguar XJ-8 L in my future.

[email protected]
Westland, Michigan - but I'm from central New Jersey!
http://www.hoodliners.net - My hoodliners I make!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:21 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to dugweed Send a message via Yahoo to dugweed
sounds like

the bushings in you guys wiper linkage are worn out, it a rubber pos that deteriorates with age, gotta pull cowl vents off to get too.
Mike

2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide
1996 F350 CCLB 7.3 5 speed 4x4
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 01:12 AM
PostWhore

Hey Rolling-Thunder ... I know this is a really old post, but I have new info. I have the same problem with my wipers, and my problem is definitely in the motor.

They would never park, and they always got stuck midway up the windshield in Interval mode. So, I tore things apart to find out why.

To make a long story short, I took out the motor, opened it, and cleaned it out. Then I reinstalled it. Without the wiper linkage connected, the motor worked fine. I could tell that it was "parking" itself by the way it continued to rotate for a little bit when I turned off the wipers. But when I connected the wiper linkage, the wipers would not park right.

I figured out that the problem is this: There is too much play in my motor. The load of the wipers pulls up on the motor's output shaft. When that happens, the contacts at the bottom of the shaft can't make the proper electrical contact with the plate on the bottom of the shaft. Therefore, the wipers can't park right. I know this is the problem because if I held the shaft down with a stick, the wipers worked fine ... but when I let up, they stopped. Maybe a bushing replacement would fic the problem, but I didn't have time to disassemble the motor completely.

I did, however, have time to get my finger stuck between the plastic cowl and the wiper linkage ... the cut should be healed in a week or so. I hope.

Maybe I should name the car Shylock, since it already got its pound of flesh.

Hope this helps!

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Thank you for the excellent post !

If and when we ever get some warm weather here, I will have to check mine out.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
Thanks for the ride !
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 10:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
The problem I had with mine:

When I pushed the fluid, the wipers would go, but only like 1 and a half, instead of the normal 3. The Hi and Lo worked, and so did the other side of the wiper switch, but it only went at one speed. If you've ever been like the Rainman and counted the time between the beats of each time the wipers go up and down, you'll notice the second selection lets the wipers go up, down, waits the period of another one of those, then up, down, period... The third one waits the period of two, fourth one waits three, and so on. Well, mine just did the first one, where it kept going up and down without stopping. Any level I put it on, that's what happened.

I figured, something could be messed up in the mfs so that it would short and keep going. My assumption was right. I replaced it, and it works fine now.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 03:16 PM
PostWhore

You're welcome! I hope we both get things sorted out!

I hope to buy a used, but good motor this weekend. I will post an update when I get around to installing it ... and then I hope to tear the old one apart and see if it is fixable.

Does anyone know how to take the output shaft of the wiper motor apart?

So, that's the plan ... but I have other things to deal with too, like my fuel pump.

-------------------

Steve

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 05:57 PM
4th Gear Poster

Mine are wacked out sometimes. They park when I am on intermitting mode and do not park when I shut them off. This only happens once in a while like they are possessed.

Does anyone have pictures of the shaft that the other post mentioned?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:28 PM
PostWhore

Sorry, I don't have a picture because I never did take the motor apart. But it definitely was the motor in my case ... I replaced it with a junkyard part, and the wipers have worked great since.

It sounds like your problem is the motor ... but I'm not absolutely sure. I haven't studied my wiring diagram in a while. The only 3 things controlling your wipers are the MFS, the Interval Governor (under the dash), and the motor itself. It seems to me that most problems with the park circuit come from the motor.

-------------------

Steve

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 03:55 AM
4th Gear Poster

Wipers failed on the way home last night. I can hear the motor spinning, but no wipers.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 05:11 PM
PostWhore

Sorry about your wipers! I don't know specifically what fault that would be, but it sounds like something mechanical. To check out what's going on there, I would remove the wiper arms and the plastic cowl so you can see the wiper linkage. Maybe you'll see an obvious problem. If not, then turn the wipers on and see what happens. (Keep your hands away from the linkage ... I feel very blessed to still have 10 fingers.) My guess is that either the arm on the wiper motor has come apart from the linkage, the arm has come off the motor, or that the motor itself is busted internally.

-------------------

Steve

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 06:50 PM
4th Gear Poster

Thanks for the help. I thought the worm gear was stripped and went out and bought a new motor. I removed the cowl and discovered that the bolt that retains the arm assembly to the motor came loose causing it to become decoupled.

I put some thread locker on, tightened it back up and all is well. Now I get to return the new motor. Nothing like a free repair!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 09:02 PM
PostWhore

Cha ching. That's a good deal. I'm glad you got it fixed.

-------------------

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in