Couple more HID questions.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Couple more HID questions..

yea yea i just installed HID headlights and they look great!..theres no glare and they are not that hyper blue color..i got as close to white-ish blue-ish as i possibly could..very great but theres a small problem

the ballasts that hook up to the hid bulbs are kind of like altenators charging up the hid bulb and converting the energy yada yada..when i turn on my HID's they take a couple of seconds to turn on..they need to charge for about 5-10 seconds then they are at thier brightest..now i used 16gauge wiring and im thinking if i should of used a stronger gauge..would that help?..i just used ordinary wire from radio shack..what gauge wire do you guys reccommend?..or..is it the ballasts cuz they sucky?..all advice welcome..thanks guys

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
this is how hid is supposed to work, they have to warm up for a second. Not five or ten seconds, but its longer than a regular halogen bulb thats for sure. I wouldn't worry about it.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:07 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
If you ever watch the HIDs on a lexus, bmw, or any car that has them, you will notice that they come on real dim and get real bright after a few seconds.

So, your ok.

btw, any more info on how you did it? and some pics maybe? I always thought putting HIDs in housings not meant for them was not good to do.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:35 PM

yeah, you should post pics and prices and stuff. sounds kind of cool.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

well IF they are aimed properly then they dont blind anyone..to me these are brighter than silverstars obviously but silverstars DID blind a couple of people as well seeing how i had the competition harness upgrade..ill post some pics tomorrow when the suns out and it was an ordinary kit you can find off ebay

cost me 250 shipped with insurance bla bla..best 250 i ever spent..very beautifull..

***note: none of these pics are edited in ANY way to change color or tint. what you see is what you get ***

-Mike
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
chop,

what brand is it, Mecca Tune?

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

muccoluck *sp*..

another question what kevlar rating color temp whatever does it look?..

-Mike
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop2oo2
muccoluck *sp*..

another question what kevlar rating color temp whatever does it look?..

-Mike
i think you mean Kelvin. The more violet the color gets, the more intense it is supposed to be...dont quote me, im just a policital science major though.....

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:33 PM
4th Gear Poster

when i put my lights on they start dim but dont take 10 seconds to get bright

they take like a second at most

whats K did you get? they look like 6000K
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

well their supposed to be 8500k
...doesnt look like it but still looks great..the light it emits is the light i was going for..

-mike
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

also changed some other bulbs and faces while i was at it..muwhahah..yes custom thank you

of course the 96+ headlight swap is underway..i wonder if the hid's will look better with that stlye headlight

and to complete everything i painted the inside of the light to go with my all black theme..black rims, black paint, black limo tint, black headlights, and black nightshades is in the mail ..time for extreme dress up!..

-Mike
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 10:59 AM
6th Gear Poster

what is the competition wiring upgrade?? Would that help the silverstars at all?? I'm deciding if i should get silverstars or just fork out the extra money for the HIDS. My friend just got the 05 TL and his lights light up the road like i've never seen before. I HATE MY LIGHTS!!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

thats what my car used to look like with clean headlights, aimed properly, silverstars, and the competition wire harness..

have you ever looked at the most wanted parts on the front page?

http://www.hioutputbulbs.com/har.htm
there yah go

-Mike
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:29 PM
$.25 poster

You dont need the comp limited harness for the HIDs to work properly do you? Im almost half tempted to try it.

Also, mike, good luck getting the corner lenses apart for paint, im at the same stage you are with the painted headlights and the damn corner lenses have been holding me up for like a month now cuz i cant figure out how to get them apart, even the dremel is having a hard time.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back

- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

you dont need the comp harness for the hid's..if it did anything it woulod be bad seeing how the harness pushes more than 100 watts when the hid's only need 35 watts..wouldnt want to push that much watts through the ballast..
some kits have the bulbs connect to your original headlight harness but the kit i used didnt really fit into the harness..so i adapted a switch to turn on/off the hid's whenever i want..works great..

and yes even with the dremel it is near impossible to take apart..i got a spare set of corners for a 96+ platform but sitll not able to understand how to take them apart without breaking the plastic or the lens itself..i did in fact take apart my 95 oem corners in less than 3 minutes..but when it comes to clear corners i believe they are sealed a little stronger..plus the corner is probably about 3 years old in age. thats probably why my 95oem ones that are 10 years were able to come apart?..o wells..

-mike
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:39 PM

Where did you buy this kit and get information on it? i see you wrote muccolock or something...do you have a site where you got it from? or something besides a name that comes up with nothing in a search
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:31 PM
4th Gear Poster

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 08:34 PM
$.25 poster

well i see where my money is going next.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back

- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 PM
4th Gear Poster

best 300 bux i ever spent
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned

muwhahaha nice...same here..

-Mike
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 11:49 AM

I personally dont like the deep blue tint you have...i would much rather have them a little whiter. So should I look into a lower kelvin rating. cause the higher it goes the deeper the color gets. The ebay sites shows the 8500k have a semi blue tint, which is ok. But Mike...yours whows up a DEEP blue to me. Unless its really not that deep in person. Otherwise i think i would go for the 6000k. way i see it, doesnt seem like you get anymore like with the higher kelvin rating, you just get a different color.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:35 PM
4th Gear Poster

higher the Kelvin that cooler color you get but you get less light output...most of the cars that come stock with xenons have 4200k...so the closer you get to that number the better light output you will have...higher the number the "cooler" color you get but less light output.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

im switching these hid bulbs *which have a rating of 10000k* to the 8000k ones..around 8000-8500k it has a color of an ocean blue which looks white in one angle and ocean blue in the next..10000k is waayyy to deep for me..but in the pics it should ocean blue lights which were the ones i wanted..contacted seller and he's sending me the different bulbs with a core price of course..

-Mike
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop2oo2
you dont need the comp harness for the hid's..if it did anything it woulod be bad seeing how the harness pushes more than 100 watts when the hid's only need 35 watts..wouldnt want to push that much watts through the ballast..
some kits have the bulbs connect to your original headlight harness but the kit i used didnt really fit into the harness..so i adapted a switch to turn on/off the hid's whenever i want..works great..

and yes even with the dremel it is near impossible to take apart..i got a spare set of corners for a 96+ platform but sitll not able to understand how to take them apart without breaking the plastic or the lens itself..i did in fact take apart my 95 oem corners in less than 3 minutes..but when it comes to clear corners i believe they are sealed a little stronger..plus the corner is probably about 3 years old in age. thats probably why my 95oem ones that are 10 years were able to come apart?..o wells..

-mike
Mine fell off when I parked my car one night

- Pelezo
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

yea took a couple of minutes to take off my oem 95 corners..they probably would of fallen off in a couple years anyways..lol

-Mike
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
I don't think most of you realize this is the "for off-road purposes" kit sold at such places as car toys. I've done a lotta HID research the last few weeks... 4200k is the tempterature at which it burns. That doesn't say how many lumens of light it puts out, but rather the color of the light (as stated by someone else previously). True HID bulbs have a VERY sharp cut off... you can see the bright white from the headlight and a very defined blue/purple line (depends on what projectors you're using) where the beams are aimed. You can always tell when HID are stock on a car, the light is very pure and very crisp, from an angle it looks almost blue or purple.

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in