What relay for foglights? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

What relay for foglights?

I took the foglights off of my '93 and put them on my '95. They bolted right in perfectly. I don't want to mess around with trying to pull wires through my dash and into the center console. That leaves me with the option of using a relay to have them come on with my headlights or running lights.
I am not an electrician, but I do have some wiring skills. I looked at Radio Shack and they listed many different relays. Which one do I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:22 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I would think any relay that can handle the current load of the two foglights would be fine. You probably want one that is weather proof. Actually I just bought an SC foglight switch for my center console and I have some lights so I need to research this too. I assume the SC uses a relay or does the SC light switch have enough capacity to handle the full load?

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb
I would think any relay that can handle the current load of the two foglights would be fine. You probably want one that is weather proof. Actually I just bought an SC foglight switch for my center console and I have some lights so I need to research this too. I assume the SC uses a relay or does the SC light switch have enough capacity to handle the full load?
Timb - wire the fogs using a separate switch and a relay. A 30 amp relay for automotive application would be ok, but a 40 amp would be better in case you ever want to go with higher wattage bulbs. You assume too much from the Ford engineers. The stock headlight and multi-function switch will not handle the amps of the fogs added to the headlights. Those switches WILL fail sooner or later causing the headlights to go out or flash on and off which will be the result of burned up headlight or multi-function switch, or both. There is plenty of information about this problem, do a search for headlight problems or flashing headlights. John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:43 PM

Definately go wiith a seperate circuit. Dont take the chance with the stock setup or you will be replacing the multi-function switch. It may seem like like more work to run the wires through the dash. But its really simple, mine run from the battery, to a switch, took less than an hour. If you want to keep an original look inside, mount the switch to the plastic under the steering column. Thats were mine is and you cant see it, except at night since the switch has a red light to show they are on.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue LS
Definately go wiith a seperate circuit. Dont take the chance with the stock setup or you will be replacing the multi-function switch.
That's the whole reason I am going to use a relay. It is my understanding that if you use a relay, it doesn't actually draw voltage from the circuit, but only uses it as a signal to turn on/off another (seperate) circuit. Am I wrong?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 03:29 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

You are right. It will draw it from wherever you feed it from. Most do it from the battery but you would be wise to put a fuseable link between the relay and the battery

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 03:33 PM

Your right, my bad just been a long day. Use a fusible link like timb said. But I would still suggest not using the multi-function switch to run them. These things are iffy with just the stock setup.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue LS
Your right, my bad just been a long day. Use a fusible link like timb said. But I would still suggest not using the multi-function switch to run them. These things are iffy with just the stock setup.
Right. I plan on bypassing the multi-function switch completely. Hence, the need for a relay.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 12:11 AM

Ok I thought you meant you were gonna use the that switch to control them. You got the right idea on how to do this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Okay, so here is what I have. The black represents the schematic on the back of the relay package. The blue represents what I think I need to do to wire it up. Am I right?

All bow down to my awesome photoshop skills, bwah-ah-ah.
Anybody know which wire to hook #86 to if I use the parking lights? I don't want my foglamps to blink when I turn on my blinker.
Also, I guess I need to add a fuse. It should go before the relay, in "12V IN" right?

Last edited by tinman_72; 02-12-2005 at 10:06 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 03:23 PM

Looks like a good setup. Similar to what I have except I have a seperate switch. Yep, the fuse between the battery and the relay. As for the wire for the parking lamps Im not sure off hand but somebody will know.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 05:24 PM

A 30 amp relay is plenty for 2 100 watt driving lights and is readily available at radio shack. I have run this setup in my 95 for 4 years now with zero problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBlackBird
Timb - wire the fogs using a separate switch and a relay. A 30 amp relay for automotive application would be ok, but a 40 amp would be better in case you ever want to go with higher wattage bulbs. You assume too much from the Ford engineers. The stock headlight and multi-function switch will not handle the amps of the fogs added to the headlights. Those switches WILL fail sooner or later causing the headlights to go out or flash on and off which will be the result of burned up headlight or multi-function switch, or both. There is plenty of information about this problem, do a search for headlight problems or flashing headlights. John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in