TCCoA Forums banner

Could anyone recommend a good performance spoiler for my 95 bird?

4K views 39 replies 30 participants last post by  XR7-4.6 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a spoiler for my 1995 T-Bird, but I'm really interested in something that will help with the performance of the car and not hurt it. From what I know if you put a wrong kind of spoiler on a car that can happen exaclty. I seen on the forums and on the web that those Xenon spoilers seem to be the favorites. Also I saw a bird on Ebay with a Mustang spoiler and I though looked pretty neat. What would you say is better performance wise? Just looking for opinions here. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Well, considering that rear spoilers do nothing below speeds of about 80 and below, then it would just be something that looks cool, but not really functional. I'm not sure that there is any functional spoilers for these cars on the market, and unless you plan to spend a lot of time in triple digits, don't plan on a spoiler adding any "performance" or downforce to your ride persay. I would go with the 'stang spoiler, or even a factory bird spoiler. They seem to flow with the lines of the car the best.

Just my .02

Jay

#9 ·
95T-BirdInAz said:
i do plan on staying in triple digits for a while, as i live in arizona. what are few good spoilers for the 95 bird to be in extreme heat?
He was refering to triple digits as 100+ mph, not the temp.

I have the xenon spoiler on my 94 and I like it alot

#11 ·
Agreed, no such thing as a performance spoiler unless you are in NASCAR, CART, Indy, or other type car. as for looks I've liked all the examples given so far.

#12 ·
I like mine... (just a shameless plug...) :D

#34 ·
Just searching spoiler threads, looking at options, though probably going to go with the same spoiler for the '95 as is on the '92 already, from Spoiler Central ($135 painted PPG and shipped, no light) as they petrfectly matched the deep plum metalic on the '92.

I just want to say that I believe that's one of the prettiest Birds I've laid eyes on.

#22 ·
JustinH said:
Here's my personal favorite spoiler :)

Ditto. Virtually all street spoilers don't do anything because they're made for looks, not downforce, which would cost Ford precious MPG. The shape and mounting angle of most street spoilers renders them useless. You could go with a NASCAR style blade spoiler (plenty of downforce, but a very high drag to downforce ratio).

#23 ·
If you get an erector spoiler, truckers will fk with you. :D At least, that's one of my friend's experiences. All that wind moving around you, gets your vehicle going side-to-side. I'd just stick with a nice little spoiler and forget performace with one. I do kinda like one that someone had on here. I think it was Casper that had the mustang hatchback one.

#24 ·
Actually, MN12 Thunderbirds will lift at high speeds with a spoiler, even a NASCAR one. Unless you want to make the front completely flat too. The cougars might not have this problem because of the rear window shape.

#25 ·
You could always go with a spoiler that plays on the Coanda effect. Coanda states that air tends to follow the surface of a curved object, meaning that on a plain trunklid like that of the MN12 Thunderbird, air will hug the top of the trunklid then flow down its rear along the taillights rather than cleanly off the car (it works with water too, stick a spoon upside down under the faucet and watch the way it runs off the smooth, curved surface). As the air flows down in this manner it will create drag. Thus, some OEM companies have chosen to design trunklids with modest lips on them (and I emphasize modest), as this lip helps air flow back instead of down. Think of the trunklid of an 87-88 Thunderbird to visualize this very small kind of lip. Bear in mind, though, that such a Coanda lip is more useful to OEM companies for picking up a fraction of a MPG by reducing a slight amount of drag than in improving downforce and handling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.