Shark fin antenna, anyone try it? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Shark fin antenna, anyone try it?

Just woundering if anyone tried to put a shark fin antenna on their T-Bird? I'm currently researching it and trying to see how it would work. My antenna is annoying me, damn motor died and doesn't retract anymore so I'm thinking about just getting rid of it, plugging up the hole and putting a fin on my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 AM

My antenna was dead ever since I bought my car, so when I was repainting it, I just took a ballpeen hammer and smashed the trim ring around it so it fell through, then dented the fender a little so I could make an even patch over the hole. Then I got XM radio and never looked back!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 12:34 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ECU_Q
How do the shark fins work, I see them mostly on the german cars. Audis and what not, and where would you put one? Wouldn't it mess up the body lines a little to have a shark fin on the top of a T-Bird?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 12:37 PM

Just an option. I used one of these "hidden antennas" on my wife's Chrysler Concorde. The factory windshield antenna got messed up when I retinted the back window resulting in poor radio reception. I just stuck one of these up under the dash (touching no metal) and the radio reception was just as good if not better than what I had before. I was skeptical at first but desparity had me try anything - I was impressed with it. You can also find them on ebay.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Pretty nifty looking thing there Unherd, going to give that a look definetly.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:36 AM
5th Gear Poster

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but was wondering if anyone has tried this or found a better option than the stock antenna? (Hey, at least I didn't make a new thread on the same subject...right?)

Thanks!

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 (stock for now!): Xenon Kit, Air Silencer removed, True Duals with Flowmaster 44's - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN - I will be back one day with another MN12
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Veteran Poster

I just got a U.P.R. Products 14" shorty antenna for Christmas, and I love it! LOL

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
I just got a U.P.R. Products 14" shorty antenna for Christmas, and I love it! LOL
Cool. Those look good-I checked out their website. You think the 6 inch would be less effective. Are they a direct fit for the T-Birds? I have a 95 with the automatic antenna if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

(no jokes here please...although there could be some good ones...) LOL

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 (stock for now!): Xenon Kit, Air Silencer removed, True Duals with Flowmaster 44's - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN - I will be back one day with another MN12
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Im pretty sure the "Shark Fin" on my GM vehicle is for OnStar ... not sure about other cars. A lot of these high end German cars have antennas in the windshield.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Cool. Those look good-I checked out their website. You think the 6 inch would be less effective. Are they a direct fit for the T-Birds? I have a 95 with the automatic antenna if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

(no jokes here please...although there could be some good ones...) LOL
Ahhhhh....It was a direct fit on my car because mine does not have the power antenna....I somehow missed that 'lil detail....LOL

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in