HID conversion and sstock wiring harness - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

HID conversion and sstock wiring harness

if i get a hid conversion kit and use my stock wiring harness will it perform to the best it can. plus i need a site where i can order the harness online. wasnt there an ebay source that sold the harnesses too?>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:19 PM

You use the stock harness and your gonna destroy something, they were never built for that kind of power.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Banned

well it depends on what kit you get. the kit i got couldnt connect to my stock harness so i made it into a switch type as it turns on when the switch is turned on.

about using a better harness for hid's i dont think that makes sense. the hid's require 35 watts and our stock harness' use 65 watts? the power needs to go from the ballast to the bulb itself. the ballast connects to the headlight socket *if you get the right kit* but if it doesnt then connect it via power and ground. anyway the comp harness lets you go from producing 65 watts to 100/80 watts. now correct me if im wrong but is it neccesary to force 100 watts through a system that require only 35? That is why you dont need the harness.

Quote:
You use the stock harness and your gonna destroy something
hmmm nice advice to give. which hid kit do you have?

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Banned

yea yea i know i got bored..lol

-Mike
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:47 AM

Im just speaking from my experiene. I dont have HIDs myself, but a former co-worker did the conversion and after a while the stock wiring just gave out. I dont remember what kit he had, but after using a new harness everything worked fine.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop2oo2

yea yea i know i got bored..lol

-Mike
This is probably a silly question, but why not just wire the switched 12v for the original headlight to a relay?!?! No switch, no wiring through the dash, full operation just like the OEM setup and the HID is on it's own circuit.

And on a sidenote, what did you do about high beam?

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:28 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
And on a sidenote, what did you do about high beam?
You LOSE them!

HID conversions are totally illegal. All they do is piss on-coming traffic off! I hate seeing those things coming a mile down the road... blinding me the entire time! I get pissed, and just flash my high beams at them.

-Kornhaus
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Very true (and I knew they were illegal) but I was just curious how people handled the high beams..

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:37 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Very true (and I knew they were illegal) but I was just curious how people handled the high beams..
I had a set of HID's in my car, for about 6-7 months, a year or so ago. And I tell you what, they sucked. No only for the fact that I lost my high beams, but because our headlamps aren't designed for HID's. Now, when I get finished with my headlamp project (projector headlamps), I will have HID low AND high beam. It will be completely legal, and will not piss on-coming traffic off!

-Kornhaus
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 11:17 AM

I can't wait to see your headlights, Scott. They've been in progress for a while, but they sound like they're going to be worth the wait. I have to re-do mine soon, I rushed through the wiring and burned out one of my projectors... But that just means I get to use better stuff this time.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is probably a silly question, but why not just wire the switched 12v for the original headlight to a relay?!?! No switch, no wiring through the dash, full operation just like the OEM setup and the HID is on it's own circuit.
well maybe because it already was there before i had my hid's put on. i already had the setup running to my foglights which i took off seeing how i got them at rice zone. i got hella ff75's sittin right next to me and as soon as it stops raining im going for it. i was going to relay it to the headlights through the harness but with my setup not it has its own fuse and i wont burn out the stock one for the headlight harness's. i dunno it was already there and im lazy

-Mike
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Where can I get a dependable kit with ballasts? About how much? How long do they last? Do the ballasts burn out before the bulbs usually? Thanks just curious
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Banned

search 9007 hid on ebay and you'll find a couple of hid kits. they will have all the info regarding life and such. they actually last longer seeing how they use less than half the wattage than a stock bulb.

-Mike
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

so pretty much its not the stock harness thats doin all the work its the harness from the ballast to the lights itself that really matter
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:05 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Where can I get a dependable kit with ballasts? About how much? How long do they last? Do the ballasts burn out before the bulbs usually? Thanks just curious
-Rob
As porkchop2oo2 said, eBay will probably be your best bet! I seem "HID kits" on their ALL the time. Just be wery to what you buy. Also, I will fore warn you... that you will probably get pulled over for accessive light output.

They usually run between $300-$500, depending on what type of set up you do/purchase. That may sound high, but when Xenon first came out, it was strictly for HIGH END vehicles. The first Auxiliary light was like $1,500.00, and that was a single lamp!!! So he price has substantially come down.

Most HID/Xenon kits last 2-3 times longer than a normal Halogen bulb. The more you turn off and on the lights, the shorter a life-span you will get. Therefore, the life-expectance varies quite often.

Since the bulbs (actually called capsules) do not have a filament, they technically will burn forever. The only way they usually go bad, is if they are broken, or submerged in something (usually water). As for the ballasts, those tend to go bad every once in a while. I get a call, maybe once a month, about someone's ballast malfunctioning (going out). I have then send it to me, and upon inspection, sometimes they are defective. The other times, the consumer is just an idiot, and doesn't know what they are talking about.

That should just about wrap all of your questions up. If you have any other questions, let me know.

-Kornhaus
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 12:12 PM

ok well i'm pretty new when it comes to trying different lighting methods but i had a few questions. i use silverstars right now and they're bright but not what i'm looking for. now porkchop2002 i think you have some of the nicest lights i've seen so far. and basically is just what i was trying to find. now from what i was reading the hid conversion eliminates your high beams. i think that would be retawded. so what's the best way to go? i wanna keep high beams, low beams, and not blind people but still get that hid look. if anybody can clue me i'd appreciate it.

-zach
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Banned

well you only loose your high beams if you have a 94+ birdie. on the 94+ birds we have a different headlight bulb *size 9007*. any or cougar lower than 94 used 2 pairs of bulbs size *9006 and 9005*. the 9006 is your headlight bulbs and when you turn on your high beams *aka 9005* those bulbs light up also. for the 94+ mn12's we have 9007 which is a single bulb that is our hi/low beams in the same bulb. so a conversion would be cool on pre 94 seeing how you wont loose your high beams since you would only be replacing the headlight bulbs *aka 9006*.

-Mike
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:09 PM

oh ok well that seems better. on the wiring for the hids what do i have to do to get the most life outta them? basically what all do i need to get them working on a pre 94 birdie. also what does this 60005-9000k stuff mean? is the higher the better? and whats a good company to go thru?

Last edited by zacharyzmn; 02-18-2005 at 04:28 PM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:05 PM

the K rating is the Kelvin rating. The color temperature of the light output. The higher the kelvin rating the more color you will get from the bulb. If you want more OEM HID lighting color, you wanna go with the lower kelvin rating.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:10 PM
4th Gear Poster

in simpler terms

lower the K the more light output ie. 4,200K

higher the K the "cooler the color" ie. 12,000K

i beleive 4200K is ideal but as far as i know the lowest aftermarket kit ive seen is 5000k which i have
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:33 PM

ok cool. see i want a good amoutn of color but obviously a bright light from them. would you reccomend the 5000k as the best compromise between color and brightness?
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:45 PM
4th Gear Poster

ive got 5000k and my bro has 6000k they both look great as far as light output and "looks or style"
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:47 PM

much difference between the 2?
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 12:37 AM
2nd Gear Poster

I saw a kit on eurolamps.com and the site says that the kit is plug and play.

The Jersey Shore is a stereotype, we're not all morons.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

yea i have the 10k system and is pretty *cool* looking but i know if i went with a lower kevlar i would of gotten a brighter stock color. imo 6000k would be perfect

-Mike
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 12:19 PM

Found some nice info about HID's HERE
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 02:13 PM

ok so from reading that putting a 6000k hid aftermarket lighting system on my 93 bird in the stock headlight housing would not give me the best possible light output and color output as say a retrofitted housing off a lexus or bmw or other housings made for hids. so if this is the case what can i do to make it put out the best lighting and the brightest blue i can find. personally i still would like a little more blue color so i wouldnt mind sacrificing a bit of brightness. but that cutoff line would be a good idea. so other drivers do not get blinded. and since my high beams are seperate i dont have to worry about totally blinding traffic anyway.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 02:19 PM

ahhh i just checked a price on hidonline and sheesh they want 600 smackers!! no way on earth. where can i find some and how much can i find them for? and i mean a good provider not online posers.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

ok this is what i got from eurolamps.com:

We offer two methods to upgrade your headlights.... EuroLights
Xenon-Charged(tm) bulb upgrades OR EuroLights G2 RealHID(tm) Xenon Systems.

Option 1) EuroLights Xenon-Charged are high performance bulbs which utilize
an optimized gas mixture to produce an extremely white projected light and a
blue/white hid look in the headlight housings. HID type output, without high
cost. If you want a simple & inexpensive upgrade this is what you are
looking for.

Option 2) EuroLights G2 RealHID Xenon Systems are our Direct Plug In HID
upgrades...these are HID systems that require NO modification of your
vehicle. Our ArcXenon bulbs actually plug directly in place of your standard
bulbs and the ballasts plug right into your vehicle's bulb sockets.
__________________________________________________ _______________
EuroLights Xenon-Charged(tm) are true high output bulb upgrades with an
optimized gas mixture...They offer the highest performance available from a
bulb type upgrade & closest in look (color temperature) to hid lighting
systems without the high cost. Simply replace your current bulbs with
EuroLights Xenon-Charged bulbs, no other modifications are needed.

Price : $29.00-$55.00 per pair
__________________________________________________ ___________________

EuroLights G2 RealHID(tm) 10,000K, 8000K, or 6000K (your choice) Direct Plug
In
Systems-- High Intensity Discharge (HID) is a type of lighting technology
that uses xenon gas to create light rather than a filament like traditional
bulbs. The ignition of this gas when high voltage is applied produces an arc
of extremely bright light.

The light output of EuroLights RealHID Xenon systems is over four times that
of a standard halogen bulbs and 20% brighter than other hid systems. There
is nothing brighter available, the absolute maximum performance.

***Note: Beware of imitation hid xenon kits claiming to offer higher K
values. Those systems use painted hid lamps which actually REDUCE
performance.***

RealHID systems include: 2x ArcXenon(tm) bulbs, 2x ballasts, 2x wiring
harness, & complete quick install manual.

Price G2 RealHID(tm) : $349.00 per kit (complete kit, Left AND Right) FREE
Shipping

Both types of upgrades are very simple to install.

For More specific info and order details:
Please let us know which upgrade you are interested in & we will provide
order information.

Regards,
Mike C.
@EuroLights
Beware of Imitators...True EuroLights(tm) are NOT available anywhere else.
We are The ONLY Importer/Manufacturer of The Original EuroLights(tm).
Check out our web page at: http://www.EuroLights.com
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Banned

nice finds guys. yes i know the higher it rating its just the color that changes and not the performance. imo 6000k would be perfect for you guys but i would prefer 8000k. i have aimed my lights and has the same results on the wall i aimed on my old silverstars on. used a lower methed and turned them towards the middle more. havent got any high beams and i dont notice a glare. there are a couple of people on the boards that have seen my lights in person and can tell you they are not blinding and are well aimed. there WAS glare however when i had the 95 headlights on. the light is emmited through the lens on a 89-95 mn12 but 96-97 mn12's had a clear lens and a REAR reflective design as in its a wanna be version of a projector headlight housing. as soon as the rain goes away ill post some pics of the difference and will show you guys that hid's on a 96+ platform arent gonna blind EVERYONE in the world..

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in