Touch-up tips - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Touch-up tips

I'm going to try to repair my Bird's exterior myself. The body is pretty straight so I won't be pulling any dents.

I just had some questions on some of the tiny tasks.

There is a 1.5" long scratch in the trunk lid. It left a tiny ripple there. SHould I hammer it in a bit and then fill it?

There's a Xenon body kit on this car. It's a '94 car. The Front lip is actually missing, but I found a replacement from a member here. Anyways, the side skirts are scratched up into the black part. Are these urethane or fiberglass sideskirts? What do I use to smooth out the rubbed through parts before painting?

Also the rear bumper has similar damage, in some places there is cracking in the paint, in others, the urethane has worn through and needs to be mended where a tiny rubbed in tear is. Is there some kind of plastic filler I can use to fill and smooth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Veteran Poster

for your scratch: only hammer it low if there are high spots. sand with 80 or 180, then fill with evercoat, or another good body filler. stay away from bondo. use a hard block with 180 to get it perfect. now to prep for primer, sand all around the 180 with 320 or a red scotchbrite. the idea is to fill the 180 scratch, but you cant get any primer on shiney paint, just leads to problems in the next step. use an aresol etch primer under the epoxy primer, on all bare metal spots. this will replace the factory corrosion protection.

What I just described above should be done in one shot, beginning to end. once its primed, you can stop. only use an epoxy primer, a 2-part mix and a cheap spray gun. no rattle can primer, it'll just absorb moisture and ruin what youve done, and it wont build for *****. the idea is to build to give you something high, so you can block it flat with 400.

As for the skirt, I believe its urethane. to repair gouges and scratches, tear into it with 220, then fill it in with filler. scuff way beyond the repair to prime as well. if you end up with a lot of exposed raw plastic, youll need an adhesion promoter under the primer, but you wont need any etch prime(no metal to rust)

hope this helps a bit, if you need more advise just ask.

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in