ground clearance with xenon kit and lowering springs - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
ground clearance with xenon kit and lowering springs

i was wondering if anyone has pics of there car with a xenon kit on it and lowered about 1.5". i plan on buying a xenon kit and some eibach springs in the spring and was wondering if i would have ground clearance issues. any response would be great and pics of 96/97's would be great. thanks.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 11:05 PM

check out my car gotta xenon kit, its way low, i dont think u wanna lower any more scrapes like crazy ........TOnySTBiRD

TOny
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 11:44 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Alex
the page that i requested was not found

1991 Mercury Cougar LS (Dead)
1989 Ford Probe LX (Dead)
1989 Ford Taurus SHO (Sold)
1994 Ford Taurus SHO (Dead)
1994 Ford Taurus SHO (Weekend Cruiser)
1999 Honda Accord EX (Daily Driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 01:04 AM
Back in Black

Administrator

Don't you hate boring 404's?

http://www.shadoweb.net/thisisnotvalidbutclickitanyway

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:20 AM
4th Gear Poster

Talking

I have Xenon ground effects on my car and I have lowered it 1.5" w/ the Eibachs. It was low with just the Xenons, but it is a lot lower! You WILL have problems over speed bumps, driveways w/ any type of curb leading in to it, pot holes, rocks on the road, pebbles on the road, sand on the road... ok, I am exaggerating a little, but you get the picture. Mine is not a daily driver, so I can deal w/ the obstacle dodging. If, it were my daily driver, I would have put the stock springs back on.
Your biggest problem will be scrapping the nose b/c it sticks out so far, and the side molding at the rear wheel well(this is the lowest point of the ground effects). you will only have 2" of ground clearance at the rear wheel well when you first put the eibachs on, and then about 1.5" of ground clearance after the springs settle.
If you are strictly going for the look or going for the handling advantages, GO FOR IT!! It is well worth it, but again I will say, not as a daily driver.
If you are going to do it, my advise would be to at least, put the Xenons on first, drive it for about a month to get used to dodging obstacles, if you are then not satisfied with the look, then lower it.

97 Limited Edition TB

'97 Limited Edition Thunder Bird
JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Koni infinite adjustables
Xenon Ground Effects
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
Quote:
Originally posted by 97Limited Edition TB
I have Xenon ground effects on my car and I have lowered it 1.5" w/ the Eibachs. It was low with just the Xenons, but it is a lot lower! You WILL have problems over speed bumps, driveways w/ any type of curb leading in to it, pot holes, rocks on the road, pebbles on the road, sand on the road... ok, I am exaggerating a little, but you get the picture. Mine is not a daily driver, so I can deal w/ the obstacle dodging. If, it were my daily driver, I would have put the stock springs back on.
Your biggest problem will be scrapping the nose b/c it sticks out so far, and the side molding at the rear wheel well(this is the lowest point of the ground effects). you will only have 2" of ground clearance at the rear wheel well when you first put the eibachs on, and then about 1.5" of ground clearance after the springs settle.
If you are strictly going for the look or going for the handling advantages, GO FOR IT!! It is well worth it, but again I will say, not as a daily driver.
If you are going to do it, my advise would be to at least, put the Xenons on first, drive it for about a month to get used to dodging obstacles, if you are then not satisfied with the look, then lower it.

97 Limited Edition TB
thanks for all the info 97 limited. do you have any pics. i probly wont be doing both cuz it is my daily driver. how much did it cost for you to get the xenon kit. i mean like the pirce of the kit, painting and mounting all together. thanks again.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:59 AM
4th Gear Poster

I don't have picture yet of it. I am in the process of getting a digital camera so I can post some pics of it.
After everything was said and done, it cost me $1400 to get the ground effects bought, prepped, painted and installed. the ground effect ran me about $700 and about $700 to get them on. I saw a post here recently for Xenon kits for around $550. Your more reputable places will only install them if you buy them through them so they can ensure that nothing has been done to the kit to than the prep process. You also want a place that will bake the paint on. After doing this twice before w/ two other TB, I learned my lesson that no matter what anyone tells you, the paint will not stick unless it is baked on after it is painted. This is VERY important. You will be better to pay $500 more for some one who will bake them than save $500 and not have them baked. trust me, from personal experience, it will cost you 3 times that in time and money getting them fixed. If the paint doesn't fit the first time, you might as well save yourself the heart ache and get another set put on b/c no matter what you do or what paint you use, it will not stay on the second time either.

97 Limited Edition TB

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 11:19 PM

how low is your bird with both the 17's, lowering and ground FX....cause that's what i'm doing to my cougar.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:18 AM
4th Gear Poster

I am running about 1.5" in some places on the sides. Majority of the ground clearance is about 2" in the front.
I am not sure of the similarities b/w the Cougar kit and the TB kit, so your ground clearance measurements may vary, of course. But i will be willing to say it will be close to what mine is now.

97 Limited Edition TB

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in