Side body mouldings - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Side body mouldings

Ive seen it on a bird on this site. Where the side door and rear quarter mouldings were removed. It looks really sweet. My question is concerning holes, will there be any if I remove these? They look like they are held on by glue like the V8 emblem. Thanks for the help!

06 [email protected] The Maxton Mile 184.2 MPH--setup for the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:57 AM

Cool Side Molding

Thank you for posting this question...I want to do the same to mine and want to know the proper way to do it...I talked to a guy locally and he said it was held on by adhesive...He said the only problem he saw was the paint underneath the molding was faded...But he said you could buff it out to match...Hope this helps...As soon as you get the info on the removal LMK...Stay Cool... TBirdMan3333
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 11:21 PM

nah

i'm not sure about older mn12's but on my 97 cougar there are weird little clips that hold them on and there woudl be about 20 little holes on each door if you completely removed them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 11:31 PM

When a drunk hit my car last year and I was checking the damage out I noticed that the mouldings are held on by adhesive tape. That was on my 93 T Bird. There was also a big difference in the shades of color on the paint. Just be careful when you peel them off that you don't peel any paint off in case of a weak spot in the paint.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 11:46 PM
drag-aholic

double sided tape. you should get a "stripe removal wheel" from 3m to remove the tape. sometimes you get lucky and it will come odd with it or, like me, it split in half all the way down. like a filet

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 12:19 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

the paint under the molding doesn't fade, the exposed paint does.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Danimal
either way, the 94 95's don't have any metal clips undernieth...only double sided tape.

-danimal

Webmaster of www.danimalrocks.com
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:31 PM

So what do you do with a 96-97???
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Leave them on, or fill the holes and repaint...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 AM

i've removed them on my current 94 and and a previous 92 tbird. both of them were held on with tape, neither had holes. go to a automotive paint supply store (jobber) and get what's called a pinstripe eraser tool. it's a rubber wheel that you put on your power drill and it gets vinyl and all types of adheisives off faster and cleaner than anything i know. you will need this tool because after you pry the mouldings off there will be a thick layer of "crap" that will be VERY hard to get off if you don't have the proper tool. In this cold weather i found it easier to heat the "crap" up with a heat gun as i was taking it off with the pinstripe eraser tool.

and yes BTW it makes the car look much better without the trim, although i like the look of the 96/97 trim.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 AM

I would trade you my trim for your lack of trim anyday, but it looks like I'm stuck with it as my car isnt worth the trouble of filling all the holes
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:02 PM

As far as getting the double sided sticky tape moldings off. If I was going to try I'd get a good piece of fishing line and make a garrote with handles with it. Then try pulling it along between body and molding to shave it off. Then get on with the difficult task of rubbing / rolling the remaining tape and residue off the body.

Then clean up any remaining spots with something like Goo Gone which I would then immediately wash off with soap. Of course I'd test Goo Gone / whatever on a descreet painted spot first. The pinstripe eraser tool sounds cool too and may be the way to go about cleaning up the body.

The only MN12 side body molding I know of the uses clips/holes are the large 96~97 trim pieces.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Anyone have pics of cougars/t-birds without those side moldings? Or maybe a link?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Who is John Galt?

on a 96-97:
http://www.turbothunderbird.com

on an early MN-12 (specifically a Cougar), look for some pictures of racecougar's XR-7

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:22 PM

You can scroll down to racecougars XR7 in this thread.

I'll bet if you read the rest of that thread you'll find a few more examples.

edit: btw that white 96/97 linked to above looks rather bland with the trim and the bumpers molding filled in too... they look good with the side molding gone but filling the bumpers looks strange to me.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in