Flat Black Bird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to thebigslide
Flat Black Bird

I think I've decided on the color scheme I'm going with on my 91. I want to paint it flat black and keep it totally stealth. The car is lowered 1.5" or so in the front and 1" in the rear. It is totally stripped down (not holesawed until I get a roll cage in there) and the body has been filled/smoothed, all the trip removed, 97 front end with a future 94 bumper planned. The rims will be 16" or 15" body matching black steel racing rims (nascar style) with fat road-racing rubber and shiney fat brakes peeking out underneath. The exhaust is quite stealthy until it really opens up, then it's a screaming smallblock . Just the way I like it.

Does anyone have a pic of a flat black T-Bird? Opinions?

Primer is lighter than basecoat/clearcoat... besides, going fast IS looking good.

Anyone want parts. I got BBQ'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:57 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

It should look ok, but you need bigger wheels for bigger brakes. If you're gonna drive it hard to match the style, you need the binders to slow it back down....and you ain't gonna get them under 15" or 16" wheels most likely.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William
It should look ok, but you need bigger wheels for bigger brakes. If you're gonna drive it hard to match the style, you need the binders to slow it back down....and you ain't gonna get them under 15" or 16" wheels most likely.
16" steel wheels will fit 12" brakes with multipiston calipers just fine. They are much thinner than aluminum. 15" is really only a contemplation for the rear.

I drive hard at the track. In traffic, I drive like cars are made of paper.

Primer is lighter than basecoat/clearcoat... besides, going fast IS looking good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 09:37 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Good luck finding 12" brakes. They'll be custom in that size. There is one person I know who put 13" brakes under 16" wheels. But ya never know. You could be #2.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 10:05 AM
5th Gear Poster

Ive been wanting to paint my bird flat black for awhile and put 16" SC or sport wheels on it for awhile, but I'm not sure what a bird flat black would look like. I'm waiting on someone to do it first then I'll decide. So please...paint it...lol
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
5th Gear Poster

my bad, I forgot to ask. Where did you get the 16" nascar style wheels? Ive thought about looking for a set, but I never find anything other than "temp" spare sized wheels. I'd love a set of 16x8 "nascar" syle wheels if I cant find some supercoupe/sport wheels for my "upgrade" this summer.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

@Sir William: Sorry if I came off sounding like a jerk, I hadn't had much sleep.

@Birdman232: Ebay has NASCAR style steel wheels from time to time. Any good wheel repair shop should be able to hook you up also. I will be painting it flat black primer to check of bodywork that needs finishing touches as it tends to show things up well. I'll snap some pics if I have a digicam by then. Too bad I keep spending all my money on my car ;-)

I'm not sure about the brakes. 13"s under 16" wheels scare me. If it can be made to fit though, it's an option. I just don't want to get stranded somewhere because I smack a rock trying to avoid some road-kill/pothole and I can't get the wheel off.

I'm not racing the car until it's totally finished and I keep having wet-dreams about tubular front and rear sub-frames, so I have some time to think about it.

Stock SC rear brakes and the larger mustang brakes on the front should keep me happy on the street till then.

Last edited by thebigslide; 04-08-2005 at 01:26 PM. Reason: further info for birdman
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 04:43 PM

Should look pretty good. I had the old Capri in tremclad flat black. Nothin fancy, but looked mean as hell.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 04:18 AM

You mentioned some NASCAR rims. I'd like to see some pictures of these as I would like to use some too. I'm planning a brake upgrade & I'll have to buy new rims anyway. What I dont understand is how a FWD rim could look NASCAR...or does your '91 have a RWD offset? (I'm not asking if your bird is FWD...I'm just talking about the offset)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 12:02 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker
You mentioned some NASCAR rims. I'd like to see some pictures of these as I would like to use some too. I'm planning a brake upgrade & I'll have to buy new rims anyway. What I dont understand is how a FWD rim could look NASCAR...or does your '91 have a RWD offset? (I'm not asking if your bird is FWD...I'm just talking about the offset)

it wont have as deep of a "dish" on them, but there are similar looking wheels out there. when people say nashcar wheels, they generally refer to basic steel wheels that look like the aerowheels(Sp?) that they use in nascar.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Basically those $45 ones you can buy at Wal Mart and that. With OWL tires and chrome lugs they look pretty good.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 04:59 PM
5th Gear Poster

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2087011

Finially found a flatblack bird......its horribly spraybombed
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Who is John Galt?

I had some pics up but lost them when the hosting got shut down (and the computer they're on is 45 minutes away). i'll try to rescan the magazine article and put it up sometime soon.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:39 PM

I think it would look pretty good if it was done right (i.e., with a real spraygun, not a can) I've been considering spraying a couple coats of flat black to cover up the dumpy paintjob until I can afford a really nice one.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Who is John Galt?

I think it looks good when done right. The one I saw was a flat (well, satin) black 93 with gloss black racing stripes and 15" fanblades. it looked sharp.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:44 AM

Mine if flat black right now, it looks really good.....to me.
Sorry but I dont have any way to post pictures.

It came out alot better than i thought it would.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:30 PM

Ill see if I have any pics of my old Capri somewhere, but I dont think I have any after the flat black was done. Had it with the black "rally" rims with the chrome lugs. Not exactly a bird but gives ya an idea of what it looks like as a package.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:32 PM

Man that bird in the link looks awful, that guy musta done that in 30 mins.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigslide
@Sir William: Sorry if I came off sounding like a jerk, I hadn't had much sleep.

@Birdman232: Ebay has NASCAR style steel wheels from time to time. Any good wheel repair shop should be able to hook you up also. I will be painting it flat black primer to check of bodywork that needs finishing touches as it tends to show things up well. I'll snap some pics if I have a digicam by then. Too bad I keep spending all my money on my car ;-)

I'm not sure about the brakes. 13"s under 16" wheels scare me. If it can be made to fit though, it's an option. I just don't want to get stranded somewhere because I smack a rock trying to avoid some road-kill/pothole and I can't get the wheel off.

I'm not racing the car until it's totally finished and I keep having wet-dreams about tubular front and rear sub-frames, so I have some time to think about it.

Stock SC rear brakes and the larger mustang brakes on the front should keep me happy on the street till then.

mustang brakes arent any bigger than ours are.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 12:04 AM

Well, except for the Cobra brakes, anyway. The advantage of the Mustang calipers (99+) is that they're 2-piston calipers which are a vast improvement over the stock calipers. And they bolt right up (well, except for a little grinding, but nothing serious.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in