I Think I'm In Trouble......... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
I Think I'm In Trouble.........

well, so you know the story, my 1992 thunderbird had a salvage title since before i bought it a couple of years ago, and after doing some carfax research i found out it had been a florida lease vehicle and eventually made it over here to texas, shortly thereafter it was totalled in waco, t-boned on the driver's side, then was rebuilt in eagle pass and sold to the previous owner's father, the body work has, pardon, had held up well, until recently,

check out the pics, i doubt there is any way i can fix this, it is way too extensive for me to try it on my own, i think i would need a whole 1/4 panel, and there is no way i can afford to get it fixed at the shop, so what should i do? try to get rid of it before it gets worse, trade in, it is worth nothing, or just drive it till the wheels fall off? i'll be getting a 1996 explorer xlt 4x4 hopefully in august for about 2 grand, so i won't be able to do anything until then, so whuddya think? please help give me some ideas, pics:

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
when did it start? from what i can see you have chipped/wrinkled paint and maybe a crease in it somewhere? youd have to get a new quarter panel, unless your good with bondo. (im iffy at bondo). its not as bad as ive seen though

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 04:14 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to goodguy
im no body man but that looks like the bondo is cracking. The weld and metal may still be good. I'm thinking just stress cracks from the road and week bondo. I also sent you a pm to give you another option. (free)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Full Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguy
im no body man but that looks like the bondo is cracking. The weld and metal may still be good. I'm thinking just stress cracks from the road and week bondo. I also sent you a pm to give you another option. (free)
hey, i got your pm, and replied, anyways, yeah, i don't know when it started, had to of been recently, and yeah i'm pretty good at bondo on small areas, but this area is huge, i'm talking from the door jam to the taillight and from the rear 1/4 window to the bottom of the body, even on the door itself, even though i wouldn't know why, it's off of a blue car and has been sprayed silver.

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Veteran Poster

the cracks in the door are bondo cracks. that kind of stuff just happens over time. the cracks under the pinstripe is just cracked paint. comes from poor prep deep down in the body line. the paint shrinks as it cures, and if the areas not sanded well, the shrinking process pulls the paint out of the body line.

See all those pinholes in the paint right above the stripe? those are pinholes in the mud that ANY decent painter would have filled, especially on a metallic color. looks like theres hundreds of them.
Paint work is horrible, but if youre broke, your main focus it to stave off the rust monster. Wait till a hot, dry period, so theres no moisture in the cracks, the fill up the cracks with superglue or silicone or something that will keep out the water when it rains. dont do it to the body line, it looks like theres paint under there, not metal. but where mud cracks, there is metal right there, the cracks will trap rain, and eventually rot from the inside out. too bad you didnt live closer, I'd fix it all for a couple hundred.... wonder what that door jamb looks like....

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Full Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by modbird
.....wonder what that door jamb looks like....
like crap, they didn't do a very good job, i'm just afraid the whole thing is just gonna fall off and have basicly the whole thing fall apart, if it wasn't such a huge area i would try to fix it, but something that large is just way outta my league, i'm thinking about getting rid of it while i maybe could still squeeze a few bux outta it, but it might be too late to do that now, i just hate having the thought of driving around with a huge f'd up area on my car, granted it's not much but it still didn't look half bad before, lol, but i'll see what happens....

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:07 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
hey quityer*****in and count your blessings, my whole front end is still primered black from damn near a year ago, so bite me!! j/k man, you know I'm playing. If you can, I'd do the silicon idea stated above. If you're really that worried about it, get rid of the car quick and try to make a few bucks back. if you want to keep the car a little longer and don't want the cracked look, just pull all the old crap off, make it look half decent, and spraypaint it. Granted it's nothing spectacular but it'd be dirty cheap and it'd last you til you bought the exploder

BTW, your car looks like crap! <~ too bad there isn't a butt wiggle

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Full Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon5783
hey quityer*****in and count your blessings, my whole front end is still primered black from damn near a year ago, so bite me!! j/k man, you know I'm playing. If you can, I'd do the silicon idea stated above. If you're really that worried about it, get rid of the car quick and try to make a few bucks back. if you want to keep the car a little longer and don't want the cracked look, just pull all the old crap off, make it look half decent, and spraypaint it. Granted it's nothing spectacular but it'd be dirty cheap and it'd last you til you bought the exploder

BTW, your car looks like crap! <~ too bad there isn't a butt wiggle
dork, , but i'd really rather have the primered look than having bondo fall off of my car while i'm driving, man would that suck!, lol, acting all cool with my system bumping trying to impress people and then have a big chunk of bondo fall onto the street, OMG, i think i would die, hey, maybe that's what accellerated the cracking, cause my car shakes like a mofo with the system up, maybe to many vibrations and cheap body work don't mix, lol.....

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:28 AM
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
bah itll buff right out honest but honestly i think you could do it yourself and fix it.

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Full Metal

i think i might be able to..... nah, it would prolly look worse than what it does right now, it has too many contours, i just don't think i could do it, give me a hood, or any small flat metal surface and i could smooth it out with bondo easy, but it is the curves and stuff that i screw up on all the time, besides i looked inside the quarter panel behind the rear speaker and it looks nasty, it was a really hard hit, i bet it is at least a 1/4 of an inch thick with bondo, no wonder it started cracking.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizon
dork, , but i'd really rather have the primered look than having bondo fall off of my car while i'm driving, man would that suck!, lol, acting all cool with my system bumping trying to impress people and then have a big chunk of bondo fall onto the street, OMG, i think i would die, hey, maybe that's what accellerated the cracking, cause my car shakes like a mofo with the system up, maybe to many vibrations and cheap body work don't mix, lol.....

That's awesome! I always laugh at ricers with body damage or a half-a$$ed paint job, then I realize my car isn't doing much better, haha. I hear ya about the vibration, I've got most my car dynamated and I STILL can't get my doors to stop vibrating. MORE DYNAMAT!!

+1

Elliot
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:18 AM
Resident redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizon
i think i might be able to..... nah, it would prolly look worse than what it does right now, it has too many contours, i just don't think i could do it, give me a hood, or any small flat metal surface and i could smooth it out with bondo easy, but it is the curves and stuff that i screw up on all the time, besides i looked inside the quarter panel behind the rear speaker and it looks nasty, it was a really hard hit, i bet it is at least a 1/4 of an inch thick with bondo, no wonder it started cracking.
well go at it with a hammer then and knock out as much of the dent as you can. the lines arent that hard, yo ujust have to watch what your doing and go to the end of the car a couple times to make sure the line is still there.

-Steven

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Dim Bulb

yeah chor, don't be a wuss, get out there and try something new!

+1

Elliot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in