Tint Pricing - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Tint Pricing

I know the prices will vary but I'm just trying to get a general idea on a cost. About how much would it cost to get 35% tint all the way around excluding the windshield?

A guy walks into an autoparts store and says "I would like a windshield wiper for my Honda Civic." The clerk thinks a minute then says "I guess that's a fair trade..."

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
around here local i got a guy that uses madico film and gives a lifetime warranty and everything for about $100 bux flat.

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:16 PM

I got my whole car done for something like $85 back in '01 with a 3 year warrantee. Whatever you do, shop around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wow, thats less than I expected, I was trying to get my dad to get it for me as a b-day present and this just makes it easier. Next question is, tint laws in michigan state that 35% is the max but for those people that have their windows tinted darker than what is legal, how much crap do the cops give you, because 20% would look a lot nicer.

A guy walks into an autoparts store and says "I would like a windshield wiper for my Honda Civic." The clerk thinks a minute then says "I guess that's a fair trade..."

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:24 PM

here it cost $120, got mine tinted 3 weeks ago.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:25 PM

I don't think cops should give you any trouble over 20%.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

How do they do aftermarket tinting, is it just the tape stuff?

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Who is John Galt?

120-140 around here for all 5 windows. I'm getting the back 3 done for 100 (stupid IL laws).

Plus, the Tech Article (http://tccoa.com/articles/misc/index.html#) says Michigan has it so that you can tint your windows as dark as you want.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:35 PM

Last week got 15%in the rear and corners, 35%on the passenger. Great job, very pleased. $130
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 AM

I paid 200 for 5% in pontiac last summer
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Jedi Master

i paid $92 for 5% all around, even sunroof

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:14 AM

Damn, I paid $175 for all 5 at 35% (damn state) about 5 years ago. Good thing I got the lifetime warranty.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 AM

I guess I got lucky. Mine was a professional job too. The business is called "Radical Concepts." I had to take it off my front windows though, police did not like it. Good luck!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

So what exactly is the tint anyway, is it a film?

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fan
So what exactly is the tint anyway, is it a film?
yeah, i think so....., lol, j/k, it is a film that they cut to fit your windows.

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:19 PM

....yeah...tint is a film that sticks to the window. I paid about $200.00 to have mine done last year....20% all the way around. As for the cops....it's entirely up to their discression weather or not they want to pull you over...Anything darker than 20% is not a very good idea...to hard to see out at night....dangerous! My old car had 5% all the way around...
"Pros" of tinting- it protects your interior from suns rays, it increases the efficiancy of the a/c, keeps a$$holes from looking in your ride to steal stuff, and just looks cool!!
"cons"- if it's too dark ya gotta worry about the cops harrasing you---they say "how do i know you're not waiting with a shotgun on the other side of that tint"...i guess they got a point....then you have to try to remove it or pay to have it done...or pay a fine.

....just remember if you get your windows done be sure to use window cleaner that's safe to use on tinted windows...Don't use ANYTHING with ammonia in it...i.e..blue or purple windex....it will turn your tint purple!!!
I myself use Eagle One 20/20 window cleaner...which is for tinted windows....orange windex is good to..
Erik
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:42 PM

I got mine done 35 all the way around, for $90 dollars. It comes with a lifetime warranty also......that is to say as long as that shop is there.

Have to get it done again what with them hoodlums smashing the windows while it was at the body shop.........
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 PM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
michigan tint laws for our birds/cougars

any tint% on back 3 windows

a 4 inch stripe along the top of the drivers, passenger, and windshield. but no matter how light you cannot tint the whole window in michigan. but the lighter you go on the windows the less problems the authorities will give you

as far as what i have

5% on back 3 windows-perfectly legal
5% stripe on top of front windshield legal but its 5 inches so that makes it illegal by an inch, but what cop is gonna give you a problem about that
17% tint on drivers and passenger windows, totally illegal in this great state, during the day you can just make out the outline of the dashboard and the steering wheel, cant see anything at night unless in a well lit area.

as far as price

i have found ziebart to be the cheapest around here in michigan.. but compaired to what everyone else spends it still seems really expensive, usually 150-180 for the back 3, i payed another 60 for the driver and passenger window, and then they will usually throw in the stripe for free on the front windshield
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 08:51 PM

I know people around here that have had problems with Tinting Laws. They were pulled over, given tickets, and had to go to court. Now when they got to court all they had to do was show that they removed the illegal tint and the tickets were waved. They were pretty mad considering they lost out on the cost of the tint though. Really though, do you need your tint that dark? I have 30 or 35 on mine and it looks good enough for me. To each his own though. I like to be able to see out of my windows at night clearly..
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I've got to agree with you there. If I were a cop I'd be all over folks with tint that dark. I just don't see the need for it. And the stripe on the windshield seems kinda weird looking to me to. But that again is just an opinion. I've got 37% on all side windows and I think its a little darker on the back window. Not real sure it came on the car when I got it. I had a cop use a tester on the side when I was getting the title inspected just in case. He said my tint wouldn't bother him at all, that 35 was legal in KS, and in our town they didn't even care if it was 30. But 35 is fine with me, I'm an old man who actually LIKES to see out at night!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I think I might go with 20, but I've been arguing with my dad because he believes the sticky film is no good, he keeps saying it wont be any good unless I actually get the windows replaced with tinted ones (no film, just windows that are completely tinted.) But my argument is if I can get one with a lifetime warranty, what is the difference anyway. Does anybody ever have any problems with peeling or discoloring (aside from using cleaners with ammonia.)

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
As far as I know most EVERYONE you see with tinted windows on the street today has the film tint. The differences you see on the roads are dependent on who put it on. It takes a lot of practice, patience, and talent to get it on right. I've seen all kinds of cars on the road with s****y looking "self-installed" tint. Bubbles, streaks, peeling, etc. But I don't think it would give you any problem at all if it were professionally done, and of course you got the lifetime guarantee.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thats exactly what I tried to tell him that the bubbled ones were self-tinted ones and if I get it done professionally it should look alright. I wish I could use you guys to back me up but as soon as I bring up this forum he goes nuts, saying that it could "just be people saying things who don't know crap" and "they've never done anything to their car if they have time to sit around and type on some forum." I find it funny that he sees me work on my car and I still have time to type on a fourm.

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:40 AM

every place that I call, I get quoted in the 200s.....
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fan
Thats exactly what I tried to tell him that the bubbled ones were self-tinted ones and if I get it done professionally it should look alright. I wish I could use you guys to back me up but as soon as I bring up this forum he goes nuts, saying that it could "just be people saying things who don't know crap" and "they've never done anything to their car if they have time to sit around and type on some forum." I find it funny that he sees me work on my car and I still have time to type on a fourm.

Does your dad work, I assume he has time to do seveal other things besides read over your shoulders and worry about your tint. If its installed right good film, it will not lookle wrinkled or bubbly..............and if over time it does, thats what a lifetime warranty is for. For Gods sake do you know how much it would cost to have "tinted" glass installed. I would say your looking at atleast a grand. Probably double that......any body ever check into that?
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thats exactly what I said and he said I might as well do it right if I do it. I'm not payin a grand for thinted windows. I think he has changed his mind now though cause he mentioned the tint again tonight like he was planing on getting it for me for my b-day.

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 05:35 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BaggeD BoooosH
it cost me about 180 to do mine and had to go twice i had double 5 on my sc which is to layers of 5% on the rear, corners, and sides front was 5% and the police man does not like it on the front hahah... u couldnt see in my car for crap it looked bad a$$...

boooosh

BAGGED 97 lx 4.6L
"Original" Cobra R Ram air hood, xenon kit, 18" cragers, 245/45/18s, mac intake, jerry chip, u/d pulleys,and the little stupid crap
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:07 AM

100.00 even, lifetime waranty. This shop has been open for 20 years. T-bird tint is 8 years old, looks great and my car sits outside everyday, all day in this south florida sun. No garage! I've had several cars done there, always a fantastic job at a good price. Look for a shop that does this all day, every day. Not some drunk who does it for beer money.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:32 PM

here soon i am going to get 5% all around, for 100 but it is illegal. the legal is 32, hope the cops dont mind
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Tim Groth Send a message via Yahoo to Tim Groth
I just got a quote to do my '93 SC for $160...this was also with the cost of removing bad tint on the rear...I have done the rest. Pretty reasonable I guess for lifetime warranty. 1 bird I had I got the job done for 105 and 1yr warranty. Needless to say it turned purple and looks bad.

You get what you pay for that is for sure...and a good tint man has my upmost! Try it yourself once and you'll never do it again.

-Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in