Car Wash...Good? Or Bad? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Car Wash...Good? Or Bad?

What's up?

I live in NJ and the winters here can get cold....In the summer I usually wash my T-bird myself...But when it gets cold....I need to take it to the car wash. I have the stock fluminum 15" fan style wheels. I don't want to damage these wheels, they look excellent.

So before i go to the carwash, I needed some ?'s answered.
First I went to one car wash that I used to use for my 88 t-bird....I asked him about the brushes and stuff they use for wheels. He said he uses safe stuff and for painted aluminum it would be safe, he didn't actually seem like he knew exactly what he was talking about.
The second guy I went to, I have used before for my 88, but not much.
Anyway...He gave me details and knew what he was talking about.
First, their advertisements and business cards say "BRUSHLESS" on them.
He told me that a while ago they used to use some kind of acidic solvent to clean wheels, until they found out that it was destroying wheels of repeated customers and making the wheels fade.
Now!!! he says they use a water based solvent, and the brushes they use are very soft....He said for blackwall tires like mine, they don't use the automatic spinning brushes (they only use it for whitewalls) and that when my car goes through the wash, those auto spinning brushes will be retracted, and will hardly if anything ever touch the wheels, (they won't be spinning.) they only use the hand brushes...He said everything will be completely safe.....he showed me his Lexus truck that was parked there, and he has aluminum wheels also (not sure if their painted aluminum or what) anyway he showed me his wheels and they were very clean (no damage)...he said he runs it through his carwash all the time.

My question is: what do you guys think? is this ok? what should i be looking for?
All suggestions, opinions, input, feelings are greatly appreciated and welcome
Thanks
BeirutsFinest

Last edited by BeirutsFinest; 10-23-2002 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:00 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
this is what i would do:
next time you get your car washed, take it to a drive thru one at a gas station. when you get home, just get some paper towels, wet them down and wipe down your wheels with them. i have the same wheels as you, and the front ones always collect that brake dust crap. so i just wipe them off with wet paper towels and dry them off with dry paper towels. that way you dont damage your wheels with any brushes or solvents. for your tires, i guess get a cheap soft brush from walmart and hose your tires down and scrub away. just my opinion. hope this helps any.

mike

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:01 PM

Post 1000 uses

Did you know that WD40 will remove brake dust?
Try it, spray some on the wheel be careful not to get it on the brake rotor, let it set for a minute and the crap just wipes right off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Yeah

What I used to do and what i plan on doing is....Going home after going through the car wash and cleaning the wheels again myself (Nobody can clean wheels the way the owner of the car can). But do you think I'll be safe with the way they clean my wheels before i get home and clean them again myself??

Thanks
BeirutsFinest
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:35 PM

i say just go to a self serve car wash.......there's plenty of 'em here in NJ and you can wash the whole car like you want to and do the wheels at the same time......

it does suck not being able to wash your car aroud here w/ our drought situation.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

My Problem

94birdNJ

i don't have a problem washing the car....I can do it in my own driveway easily....But, the problem is the cold wheather....washing the car yourself in the colder wheather is different than washing the car in the climate of Florida, Texas, Cali or any other state with year round warm wheater...you know what i mean?

BeirutsFinest
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:49 PM

hahah......yeah i know what you mean,......we go from 80 degree weather to 40 in like a week......it's been gettin pretty cold around here and winter hasn't begun....

i've always heard that brushless carwashes were supposed to be the best,.....i'd just rather throw on the parka and whip out the 'ole hose. lol.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Anybody Else??

anybody else have any input, suggestions or opinions on this??

BeirutsFinest
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:57 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
I have some input..........

Stop being a sissy and just wash it in your driveway.No really,Wash the car at a car wash and then do your rims at home with a warm bucket of water.Just be careful,do it in the daytime because the water will freeze and cause your brakes to ice over.Trust me,did that and almost crashed an 86 Cougar I had.
Have fun up there in Jersey,its nice and warm here,lol.
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in