Tire and Wheel EMERGENCY!!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Unhappy Tire and Wheel EMERGENCY!!!

Hey, I just got my 255/50/17 rubber on my 7.5" wide Lincoln LS wheels, and tried to put them onto my 1992 XR7.

Problem - they don't mount on the front wheels, because they rub on the joint of the spindle and upper 'A' arm.

HELP!!! How can I make these wheels fit???

Kevin .

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
you can try spacers.

but i dont recommend them, its far to dangerous to put them on. I would just get some other rims. Or you can try sanding down the upper control arm so that the rim wont rub. I know its dangerious and ridiculous to do something like this, but it looks like you have no other choice.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 05:47 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
How close are they to hitting???

You could get those spacers at your local auto shop to set the wheels out.But I wouldnt go more then 5/16 because that is less grip you have on the lug.
Hope this helps,
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I don't think even a 5/16 spacer would give me enough clearance .

Does this issue have something to do with the older style spindle? I think if either the spindle is taller (so as to push the A arm up higher away from the tire), or the A arm is shortened (so as to pull the spindle towards the middle of the car) the wheels will fit.

I'm VERY pissed off and confused here. I KNOW that others have 255/50/17's on their front wheels - and I want to know how that was done.

So, there's a new post on that subject .

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 08:02 AM

only thing i can think of is maybe they are using a 9" wheel or maybe the offset is different. you should be able to run those tires easily on the old spindles, and i know you can run them on the newer spindles because i have on my own car, but on a 9" rim
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 06:05 PM
PostWhore

What is the backspacing on those wheeels?

John
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Supposedly 39, compared to 40 stock .

In the other thread, it is pointed out that with the older style spindles (89-92) that there is more room for a bigger tire, so changing spindles is out...

A 9" wheel would rub worse than a 7.5" wheel Rob . IF I had a 20's up front they'd clear....

One other idea - involves spacers, but the kind you bolt onto your hub:

I do have this style, but in 5/16th, and I'm 99% sure it won't be enough:

This Sucks !!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 06:36 PM
PostWhore

Is that your backspacing or your offset? Backspacing is what matters in wheel clearance, along with wheel and tire diameter.

John
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Backspacing - that's the distance from the flat mounting surface to the edge of the rim?

I'll go measure them now, as I have the rear wheels changed - the fronts still have stock wheels on them....

As for the spacers - good, or bad idea? I realize that a thick spacer puts more stress on the bearings, but does the way the wheel sits change the stresses on it?

Anyways - I'm off to measure.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

OK - I may have solved the problem.

The stock wheels, measured from the mounting surface to the lip of the wheel (NOT the tire bulge) gives me almost 6".

The LS wheels measured from the mounting surface gives me a measurement of exactly 7".

So - I'm out by over an inch! This sucks ***.

Spacers are very expensive too...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 07:04 PM
PostWhore

Exactly...the reason for this..your factory wheels are 6.5" wheels, while your new wheels are 7.5" wide. The offset is measured from the center of the wheel. Your spacer "might" work. The factory leaves a lot of space back there, and you can run them much closer. Give one a try and see if they work. One word of caution though. If you do use them, I don't recommend those cheap flimsy cast aluminum ones. Get a machined aluminum one. I have seen the cast ones fall apart before.

John
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Alright - I'll give the 5/16's a try tomorrow night - but then I may have another issue - not enough stud for the nuts to grab onto. We shall see.

I had this with the Marquis, so I put on longer studs. Either way this is going to cost me...

I guess this was a good lesson in offsets and back spacing, huh? Oh well - I really like these wheels, so I'll do my best to make them work.

I'm going to attract some attention from people with LS wheels so they can have a look here.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 06:52 PM

I actually think LS rims are 60mm BS. I've been researching putting LS 17" Chrome 5-star rims on my Mark 8 and heard a 5/8th spacer up front is the way to go. 60mm-36mm (Mark offset) = 24mm of spacer needed

Of course, i'm new to this so correct me if i'm wrong
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Hey Mike - I've got this figured out for you (us ).

What was preventing my tires from sitting properly, was the upper ball joints 'stem'.

The upper ball joint sits in the upper control arm, and is clamped in place. What I did, is grind off the lower part of that stem, so it's flush with the 'clamp', and then a bit of the clamp (1/16th total). I am now left with about 1/8th of clearance between the top of the tire, and the bottom of the 'clamp'.

I appologize for the vague terminology, but you'll understand when you look under there.

Now, I have a 92, and newer MN12's have a different spindle, but I'm not sure how it's different. Maybe it's lower/taller, who knows.

So, a 5/16, OR 7/16 (not sure which I have - they've been mixed up a bit) spacer is used up front on each wheel, and the tires sit in there nicely. I'll have to see it in daylight to see how it really looks.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 07:04 PM

Nice...i guess i'll have to wait til i actually get the rims. So you had zero problems out back? Just needed spacers up front? It might be different anyway but just trying to get an idea.

Which rims did you get anyway? The 17" i assume? Chrome or silver?

Any pics of the setup yet? do you have any side shots of the rims. I wanna do a side view photoshop of my Mark with some LS rims before I commit fully to getting a set. I need to get rid of the "old man" rims on the Mark 8 and start making the car stand out somewhat. I just got the mark and i guess I've taken the head-turning i get in the stang for granted.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Hey Mike, the wheels from the LS are the EXACT ones as are on this car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871818469 , the newer LS's have a flatter spoke, and I don't care for that style. I would have liked chrome, but these aluminum ones were for sale at the right price - how could I argue .

I think a Chrome one would look good on a Mark 8 - seems that these cars need a 'fat' spoke to look good, a skinny 5 spoke wheel just doesn't look all that good on our huge cars.

I do not have any pics of my setup at all, and will not likely have any until spring when the car gets painted this color ( http://www.slateandcopper.com/Stillw...bor%20blue.jpg ).

Oh yeah - the backs fit with NO problems, but I probably should get underneath there and take a closer look.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MercCougarXR7
Hey Mike, the wheels from the LS are the EXACT ones as are on this car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871818469 , the newer LS's have a flatter spoke, and I don't care for that style. I would have liked chrome, but these aluminum ones were for sale at the right price - how could I argue .

Yup, those are the exact rims i am thinking of. I got the idea because I want to hopefully buy an LS in a few years. I just wanted a more up to date sporty yet not tacky rim for my Mark.

I'm gonna look for a few side shots and do a photoshop to see how they look. I also liked the look of the chrome Lincoln Town Car/continental rim which is the big 17" multispoke flat rim. I actually liked the design.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in