Painting tips - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Painting tips

Hey, Guys

Can someone give me some tips on painting my hood and trunk.

The clear coat has given up on my 96 black Tbird and I want to paint it myself.
Like type of paint and prep ideals...tips...???
Thanks,

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Section off part of your garage for a pretty air tight area, get some good airfilters, get a good size compressor, and get some decent guns. Then practice on some old body panels. Do lots of reading on prep work, it's very important. Unless you are willing to put a lot and time and money in to this isn't not going to come out well. You are probably better off spending $500 to have somone respray your hood and trunk. The ABSOLUTE minumum you will spend for decent equipment is 1000-1500, and you could EASILY spend 5k. Also good paint is very expensive too.......sorry to burt your bubble, but if you want a nice finish it takes lots of time and money.

95 LSC- Mods: 2.5 dual exhaust, 3.73s, 17x9 cobra R Rims, SCT dyno tune, MM driveshaft, 249 rwhp/ 268 ft lb tq
97 Base- Mods: Forged motor, Eaton m112, 2.76 pully, too many mods to list..........
My Car Domain Page
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 01:15 PM
6th Gear Poster

There is tons of information out there. One of the sites message boards that I visit once an awhile has a forum dedicated to body work, and they are really good about answering questions. I learned quite a bit there already. www.hotrodders.com/forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 06:56 PM
3rd Gear Poster

No dude go for it. Anything would better than that frosted clear coat right? Rent a compressor and a decent spray gun starts at $150 bucks. The paint will be like $400 at least. Practice first on other junk and make sure you have water filters on that air hose. Even tiny amounts of water coming in from the air compressor will ruin your finish. And you gotta have a clean room, no dust whatsoever. Then you gotto know about the paint you're using. Like with this one kind, an expert told me that you gotta spray paint over the primer within 4 hours so that the two layers will chemically bond. That's just an example of one of those things that you don't know that'll get ya. And there are a bunch.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 07:42 AM

Or borrow a friends, then its free.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks,

What do I have to lose some paint and then I have to sand it again.....I will just take my time, and see what happens...to me better than paying someone to much money to do it. I have already sanded the hood and primed it so it does not rust, just need to sand the trunk and then work on the smaller turnk to paint first.

Any tips on technique on spraying? Acrylic or enamal??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
6th Gear Poster

Awe... forget about spraying. Just go to the hardware store and buy a roller and some good out door paint. If you feel like spending a little extra have them mix the paint to match your car.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Veteran Poster

as for paint, go with a two stage urethane. base coat, clear coat. beginners can also have good luck with single stage if its a solid color. the car's black right? single stage will be way cheaper and will hold up just as good.

dont sand a panel until youre ready to spray it. it should be sanded, scuffed, cleaned, taped off, sealed, based, cleared. in that order, all at the same time. none of this sand it, pretend-prime it and not finish it crap.

since youre already past that point, get it painted fast. any primer that you got from a rattle can is most likely laquer based, and will absorb moisture from the air after 8 hours. it will transfer said moisture directly to the panel, and it will trap it there. right under your new paint. keep the final grit at 500 or higher, and you wont see the scratches in the finished product. its all about the foundation you build your house on.

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks I will paint my hood tomorrow, after I wet sand the primer and clean it good.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 03:17 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 95RoaringCougar
any pics?

brought the cat from the dead...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Did not get to it this weekend but I am working on painrting this Sat.

Will take pics.

Wish me luck...I am very paitient.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in