acrylic vs. urethane - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

acrylic vs. urethane

How much better is urethane paint vs. acrylic assuming both were shot with a coat of clear? I got two estimates on paint for the car....$730 for acrylic and about $1000 for urethane. The urethane has a 5 year warranty vs the 2 year warranty for the other, but with a coat of clear and regular wax jobs, is one really a lot better than the other?

(Yes, this is for a cheapo Maaco paint job. The car just isn't worth enough to me to get a high dollar finish on it - I just want it to look better and to get rid of the oxidized color change paint it has now.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Ew, Maaco. Prep it yourself first. Sand it down, tape anything you don't want painted, like your tires. Check out other cars from that shop first. I ought to ask my brother what he'd recommend, since he's in ABT (collision repair, paint).

If you know how to do it well, you could do rattle-can better.

Tech school paint job:

Painted fender, bumper and sideskirts for something like $130. Brother did it himself.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:42 AM
Veteran Poster

with the arcrylics, you have acrylic enamel, then you have acrylic urethane. both are single stage and need no clear. also both went out with the dinosaurs.

the product you should be looking for is a urethane two stage system. thats whats best for a metallic finish. if its a solid color, you can get a real good job from a single stage with no clear, arguably a better shine than clearcoat can provide. but the shine in the job comes from the colorsand/buff, the products, or the application. not from the gun.

for what its worth, if a car is prepped correctly, the crappiest paint will last a lifetime. this flimsy 5 year warrantee has little to do with the longevity of the paint, its more of a risk assesment of weather or not you will go back and complain in a few years. thats right, complain to maaco about a bad paint job. go ahead, theyll just hack it up again.
remember, good painters do work at maaco, cars just get no attention before, or after the paintjob. the two times it counts the most.

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:58 AM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat
How much better is urethane paint vs. acrylic assuming both were shot with a coat of clear? I got two estimates on paint for the car....$730 for acrylic and about $1000 for urethane. The urethane has a 5 year warranty vs the 2 year warranty for the other, but with a coat of clear and regular wax jobs, is one really a lot better than the other?

(Yes, this is for a cheapo Maaco paint job. The car just isn't worth enough to me to get a high dollar finish on it - I just want it to look better and to get rid of the oxidized color change paint it has now.)
I see youre in Arizona, Im in Las Vegas and the burnt out oxidized paint is a problem here too. Let me warn you this. I have a green tbird that i bought from a friend. He about 4 years ago went the Earl Schibe route for the exact reasons that you described. Currently im getting ready to paint the car nicely for myself, and im looking at a total strip job, which makes it more expensive. My current paint has peeled off both bumpers( even though they painted them 3 different times trying to "get it right") the rest of the car looks like it has pimples.

Basically those paint jobs are worthless, and wont stand up well at all in the desert sun. Modbird, and 93pimpin are both right. Id suggest just keep getting estimates.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I do plan to wax it a couple times a year...that helps paint survive the desert sun immensely. The fact is I just can't see sinking a $3500 paint job into a $3500 car. Realistically, I'll probably drive this car for 3-4 years and then get something else, as by that point, she'll be hitting high miles, and I need a dependable commuter, which is what I use the car for.

Not too many confidence votes on Maaco. I'm not surprised by that...their reputation as a cheapo painter precedes them. Coincidentally though, they had a '97 Bird sitting out in front of the store they just did when I took mine in. It looked great.

They charge $150 for the sanding and prep work. I have to heavily modified 4x4's that take up most of my free wrenching time. Sanding a car isn't something I have the time or patience for. That damned driveshaft replacement in the Bird took me pretty much all day last Saturday as it was!

Anyways, the car is in the shop now and I went with the urethane + clear. After the paint cures, it'll get a coat of turtle wax paste, and I'll continue to do this every 6 months or so.

I'll post pics when it's done.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:24 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I have had a couple of cars painted by Maaco and they actually came out good, but I only kept the cars 3 years after that and they still looked good. I went with the Presidential job, which is not the cheapest and not the most expensive. For a $400 paint job I was happy. I did some sanding and even primered the top surface on one of them before I brought it in. I would consider using them again but would remove the trim and sand the whole car and get some upgraded paint. They have paint booths and did a good job spraying it on - the rest I can do myself.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 03:28 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Well if you have desert oxidation, just make sure whoever paints it sands the original surface really well. That would help alot. That has alot to do with the paint failure on my car. hope that helps some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in