Meguiars Plastix - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to BlownSix Send a message via Yahoo to BlownSix
Thumbs up Meguiars Plastix

Just wanted to let any skeptics know that this stuff works. My headlights were a little foggy but not yet to the yellow stage. I applied some of this and it makes a HUGE difference. They are so much clearer.

Black '94 SC 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
Now clear coat them.

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 02:56 PM

That stuff is the best, I posted about that stuff awhile back when I cleaned my lights up, and they were BAD. I used Turtle Wax rubbing compound to start and then Meguires Plastx to finish them and the results were amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

it works...but not for long 3M is better!

I also got ok results with the Meguires PlstiX, but didn't last long. Then I used 3M Plastic cleaner followed by 3M plastic polish (available at NAPA). The results were much better, and lasts a lot longer. I do it every 6 months or so, and my lenses look a lot better now...i might try using the rubbing compund beforehand, too..i think i have some at home.

whatever you use, it's probably a good idea to put a thin coat of regular wax on the lights afterwards, to protect whatever finish you achieved, so you don't have to do it too often...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Passenger one was cleaner. Driver's was foggy until I cleaned it.

Did look like this:

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

My Thunderbird's headlights where in nearly new condition when I bought it, a year later when I got rid of it, they wheren't bad, but they had gotten worse over just that one year. I never really did much to protect them. I NEVER polished the focus's headlights, and after three years, they where pretty scratched up and quite foggy. I didn't start trying to clear them up until after the damage was done. Now on my Mustang, I have used PLASTIX every couple months or so, since day one. They are still clear. If I can keep the lights relatively clear and nice and don't have to replace them until the car is paid off, then I will feel that I was successful. It would be nice if manufacturers figured out a way to keep the lights from fogging up....the ultra-clear plexi lights look great when they're clean and new, but they get NASTY if you don't take care of them...it's a shame. It'd be nice if they where glass.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:49 AM

I used Mothers "chrome and metal" polish on my Mark VIII and it worked great.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Poster

I have tried pretty much everything under the sun and nothing beats the tried and true coarse and fine rubbing compounds w/1000,1200,1500,2000,2500 wet sand. The other option is to goto autozone and they have a headlight wet sand/polish kit for 14.99 It works pretty amazingly well. But anything can so long as you take the proper time and effort into the wet sand... The more you put into it the better. Also more stages of sandpaper helps. If I use it on my cd's im certainly going to trust it for my headlights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in