Darkening faded paint? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Darkening faded paint?

A couple months ago I bought a used fender online with the paint code I needed. I wasn't taking into consideration that the car it was on before could have faded paint or something. So I paid almost $300 for a faded fender that is somewhat noticeable when you look at the car in day or night. So my question is is there anyway to darken the paint or something to that effect? I was hoping it was just oxidized but after I used the meguiers 3-step it didn't look any different. I am really clueless when it comes to paint.
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 04:20 AM

u know a fender is like $50-100 right? $300 is rape
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:26 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rjstat
Sorry to say it but once the UV light bleaches out the pigment in the finished paint it can only be keeped at it's current state. A good autobody supply store could color match the paint to your vehicle. I have a buddy that had a custom color on a show car that got keyed we took the fuel door off gave it to the saleman and gave us a quart of the color and it matched prefectly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_parts
u know a fender is like $50-100 right? $300 is rape
the fender it self was $175 painted and than shipping was almost $100.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
the fender it self was $175 painted and than shipping was almost $100.

ouch I tried some stuff on the roof on my 94 to take out the oxidation its in a black tube I forget the name of it it made it ten times worse

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Well, if it is factory paint on that fender, then it isn't faded and a little polish should bring it back to match with the other panels, unless the clear coat is flaking. Base-clear paint does not fade with sunlight. That is just something body shops tell people to explain why the new paint doesn't match exactly. In reality, the paint will never be exactly the same unless it came from the same batch. If you polish it up and it still doesn't match, there is a chance that either the fender, or the panels next to it, were repainted at some point in the past. If that is the case, then they will have to repaint them and blend the color in to the adjacent panels so that you don't notice it.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Veteran Poster

madmikey is dead on. youre never gonna get a single panel to match. IMHO, the eye notices the gloss difference before it notices the colormatch. so you should get a rotary buffer and some foam pads. an aggressive two step cutting/polishing will make the fender, hood and door look a lot better.

then youll do the whole car and become addicted to your new power tool

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by modbird
madmikey is dead on. youre never gonna get a single panel to match. IMHO, the eye notices the gloss difference before it notices the colormatch. so you should get a rotary buffer and some foam pads. an aggressive two step cutting/polishing will make the fender, hood and door look a lot better.

then youll do the whole car and become addicted to your new power tool
I had the exact same idea so I tried buffing it a few months ago when I bought it it and it didn't help, it probably made it more noticable.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Man, I bought a used fender off of racecougar for $25, along with some other parts. Pounded it out easily. Would've been cheaper for a fender and some paint. I wouldn't think shipping would have been $100, unless he shipped it priority or something. I've shipped an old desk fan (very heavy and large) for under $30. Had to cut the box down a little, or it'd be oversized, and cost another $20. That fender is big, but still you paid way too much.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Like this one, $102 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-R...spagenameZWDVW

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:47 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rjstat
Buffing the fender is not going to help. Factory paint base coat / clear coat or one stage paint will fade with time that is why when a body shop paints a fender or a door they blend all the panels so you can't tell where the repair was. My old man owns a body shop and I have done refinishing and still help him out when he needs it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstat
Buffing the fender is not going to help. Factory paint base coat / clear coat or one stage paint will fade with time that is why when a body shop paints a fender or a door they blend all the panels so you can't tell where the repair was. My old man owns a body shop and I have done refinishing and still help him out when he needs it.

For single stage paint, you are correct, however base-clear paint does not fade. The reason body shops blend is because the paint that they get or mix will not be the exact same color as the factory paint was. The tiniest little amount of pigment can change the color by a noticable amount. If his fender doesn't match the rest of the car, then either the fender, or the rest of the car, or possibly both have been repainted before.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in