17X9" Cobra R wheels??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

17X9" Cobra R wheels???

I am looking at a set of 17X9" Cobra R style wheels now on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1872642707. Is the $500 they are getting for the wheels sound like a good price. I have seen the SVT Ford TBird wheels as low as $190 each but they are 7.5". Will the 9" wide wheels clear with little or no rubbing with a 245/45/17 tire?

Thanks for putting up with a newbie,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:40 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
Well i have em.

yeah i have the 17x9's with 245/45/17's and no rubbing at all. Do put the sticky weights dont put the weights that go on the side of the rim, b/c i have them on the sides and they rub when i turn the wheel completely.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:14 AM

Hi,i've seen all the wheel and wheel/tire combos that place has for sale on ebay. he has chrome, silver with or without tires and his prices are ok even with shipping. A friend bought a set from him earlier this summer and they looked good. He has had a nightmare of rebalancing and changing wheels around to get rid of a high speed vibration though.I have had my stock 95 v8 over 105 mph and he was in the passenger seat freaking out at how smooth my stock 15 wheels and new michelins felt.I think the place on ebay wheels are fine its just the nature of very large and low profile tires to be kind of hit and miss with vibration though. When he put em on his tbird I saw it in his driveway and thought thats for me too.But after driving it even at 75 mph I felt like crying-I knew I had to make a choice between looks and function. To be honest with you I am older than most of you and if I had the money I blew on cars I would have a second house right now.I have had over 100 cars,many models 2 or 3 times.One thing I ALWAYS remember-putting true spokes on or custom wheels and then start chasing the vibration,wheel balance,new tires blah blah blah. Truth is NOTHING feels as good as stock.The factory engineers know a thing or two.Really. Good luck,and keep your passion for cars.Always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
SVT Tbird wheels about $170 apiece thru five star ford.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 02:11 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh Heilig
There shouldnt be a problem i too have 17x9 inch wheels and 245/45/17 tires and no rubbing at all even thinking about lowering 1.5 inches.

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 35th Anniversary. True duel exhaust with x-pipe and stainless steel magna flows. Cold Air induction system.TintedWindows.Costum Black and silver painted Cobra Rs
1994 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe.[crushed]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:01 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
I have 17x9s with........

245-45 in the front and 275-40s in the back.The Oldguy is right though.A factory wheel will always be true to balance and shape compared to an aftermarket wheel,unless you are paying about 1000 a rim and they are truly hub-ecintric,or how ever you spell that.After market companies say they are but rarely are they.
Just my .02
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I think I am going to go with the 9" R's. I found a killer deal on some Kuhmo 711 tires in 245/45/17. I'll post some pics as soon as I get them in and on.

Thanks again,

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in