Alternatively Flashing Lights / Blinkers - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Alternatively Flashing Lights / Blinkers

So, I was checking out the Tech Articles and came across the "Alternatively Flashing Lights" in Exterior Articles (hence why I posted this here and not electronics) and I was a little confused on it. I know I can do the modification, I'm just having a bit of trouble understanding what exactly is being said in the first two steps.

"1) On the front headlights, cut the ground wire that runs to the center lamps
2) Take the bulb side of that black wire, extend it using another piece of wire that you can buy at any Radio Shock, and route it to the blinker lamp (12" should be enough)."

Step one wasn't quite specific enough. In my car, both of the wires looks black so I don't know which one to cut. Step two just doesn't make sense to me, lol. "The bulb side of the wire" means.. what? lol. If anyone has done this mod and can maybe explain it a little bit, that would be awesome.

When I'm looking at the left hand side center light, which wire do I want to cut, the one on the left or the right? And when I'm looking at the right hand side center light, which wire do I want to cut, the left or the right?

Like I said, the mod seems easy enough, I just don't want to cut the wrong wire. And off hand, anyone know what gauge wire that would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Banned

thats what i thought also but if you look realllly reallly close you can see that the two wires arent both black. one is dark brown and the other is black....brown is power side going to the bulb and black is obviously ground. that should help you out.

-Mike
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

So, I cut that black one, right? lol. I just want to be absolutely sure. Last thing I need to be doing is cutting wrong wires! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
I did this mod, put in Super white LEDS, now at night I just flash my hazards and poeple think I am the cops....

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 09:11 AM
6th Gear Poster

Yes. Cut the black wire on the center marker light (cut it half way or so from the bulb connector and the chasis). Connect a piece of wire to the wire comming out of the center light. Now run that extra wire to the corner light. There you want to splice it into the wire that powers the turn filament in the corner light. On my 97 I believe the Drivers side was green, but I don't remember for sure. Just use a test light to check which wire gets the power when you turn on your turn signal for that side.

Remember it will only alternate when you have your "Parking" lights on. When they are off your corner light will function the same, but the center light will very faintly flash at the same time as your corner light.

If you need anymore help I will see if I can get a picture for you, so long as no one laughs at me for using a snap-splice connector on the corner light. I haven't taken the time to solder it in yet.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

tyman00, thanks for the detailed description, that helps a ton! If you feel like getting pictures that would be great, but I'm not making a request for them .

Last edited by Nick388; 03-17-2006 at 05:14 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Ah, there we go! I managed to get one of them done before it got TOO dark out and it really looks good! If anyone was thinking of doing it and wants to see exactly what it looks like, go to: http://www.flurl.com/item/alternating_blinker_u_96575/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
I wish I knew how to post this kind of stuff, I really think mine looks just as good if not better...darn, anyone care to assist?

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick388
tyman00, thanks for the detailed description, that helps a ton! If you feel like getting pictures that would be great, but I'm not making a request for them .
No problem. Glad I could help. Congrats on getting it to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in