Problem with Paint Cracking on the Cobra R Hood... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Problem with Paint Cracking on the Cobra R Hood...

Well any paint experts here? I have some pics of whats happening with my hood. The paint is cracking and is just about to start peeling at the corner of the hood. Is it possible that the fiberglass hood is cracking, or is it the way that the shop painted the hood? I'd like to take care of this problem so it doesn't come back.
This pic shows where the paint is cracking by the left (right in the pic) air intake.

And this pic shows the back edge of the hood where the paint is just about to start peeling....

It looks a lot worse in person, the camera didn't pick up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
I doubt the fiberglass is cracking, my first guess is whoever painted the hood didn't prep it properly. How long have you had the hood on the car with paint?

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Well that spot at the back of the hood is definitely a problem with the prep work. As for the cracks by the scoop, it could be either the paint or the hood, but since it is peeling at the back, I would suspect the paint first. Take it back to the shop that painted it for you and see what they say.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon5783
I doubt the fiberglass is cracking, my first guess is whoever painted the hood didn't prep it properly. How long have you had the hood on the car with paint?
About 2-3 years, but it started cracking after about 6 months
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I have a similar problem with my Mach 1 hood, I think it is cracks in the gelcoat in the fiberglass. I'm not sure how this may help you, other than give you something to look at. One of my cracks is due to the underhood bracing coming away from the surface of the hood at the rear by the windshield. I corrected this with a little PL Premium construction adhesive.

-John Fordham

Thunderbird and Cougar Club of Southern New York
1993 Cougar XR7 302 HO AOD
240,000 miles and still running strong

1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer 302 HO AWD
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL
Well that spot at the back of the hood is definitely a problem with the prep work. As for the cracks by the scoop, it could be either the paint or the hood, but since it is peeling at the back, I would suspect the paint first. Take it back to the shop that painted it for you and see what they say.

Mike
I still think it sounds like prep work problem

+1

Elliot
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:21 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rjstat
I have simular problems with my brothers 68 vett the cracking and crazing paint which was caused by age. Fiberglass cowl hoods flex check the support framing look for any separation at the air intakes are caused from the flexing of the fiberglass and time cause the paint to crack and flake. Yes flaking paint is a sign of poor prep work of the paint surface. The vett has been painted twice since he's owned it he bought it in 78
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstat
I have simular problems with my brothers 68 vett the cracking and crazing paint which was caused by age. Fiberglass cowl hoods flex check the support framing look for any separation at the air intakes are caused from the flexing of the fiberglass and time cause the paint to crack and flake. Yes flaking paint is a sign of poor prep work of the paint surface. The vett has been painted twice since he's owned it he bought it in 78
Well I've looked at the bottom of the hood and it seem like everything is still in good shape, nothing feels loose. I hope it was just the prep work and not gelcoat cracking, this way the cost to repaint it will be lower. I'll see if I can take it to a paint shop and see what they tell me.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
I can tell you right now by that last pic its definely paint. the paint didnt adhere with the primer all too well. Did they bake it or just let it sit out and dry?

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I have seen similar problems with bad prep, and not just on fiberglass. Had an MG I had years ago painted, and after six months, paint was cracking and eventually was falling off is chunks.

Had to sand the old crap off and start again. Luckily it was a small car.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkadder
I have seen similar problems with bad prep, and not just on fiberglass. Had an MG I had years ago painted, and after six months, paint was cracking and eventually was falling off is chunks.

blkadder, where in west palm are ya?

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Dim Bulb

Quote:

Yep, if it was bad prep work, the hood's gonna need all the old paint stripped/sanded off. I'd suggest going back to the shop and waving any sort of warranty in their face

+1

Elliot
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:

We had an MG once. Saw a similar problem with the paint. We sold it after it took 6 months to get a replacement master cylinder from Britain.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

how old was the hood before you got it painted? meaning from the time the hood was molded til the time it was painted how much time passed?

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead
how old was the hood before you got it painted? meaning from the time the hood was molded til the time it was painted how much time passed?
It was in my basement for about 1-2 months before it received paint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in