Question about "Alternatively Flashing Lights" tech article - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Question Question about "Alternatively Flashing Lights" tech article

I recently did the article and it worked just as it said it would (I was only interested in the front ones, so they were the only ones I did). I was curious though, if anyone else did this, what gauge wire did you use (I believe I used 20-22) and do your center lights seem a bit dim? I have the same bulbs in all four sockets yet my center bulbs are dimmer. I was at a shop the other day (for other reasons) and thought I'd ask the guy about it, so I explained the setup and he understood how it worked and he said they were dim because I cut the ground (which is what the article specifies). I was thinking what if I connected the ground back to the center lights and just had that setup like the splice on the corner light? Would it hurt the wiring? Let me know any feedback.. Maybe my gauge is too small? I have thick automobile wiring, too.
Thanks ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
6th Gear Poster

20-22 is too small for that, IMO. Use 18 ga.

The reason your center lights are dimmer is because you are feeding off of a ground that goes through the filament of the corner light. The filament decreases the strength of the ground/negative charge so your light isn't as bright.

If it still doesn't make sense I will see if I can draw a picture explaining it a little better.

BTW, if you hook up the ground to the center lights and still keep the wire connected to the corner lights you will blow fuses when you turn your signal lights on because you are creating a short. So either leave the ground for the center lights hooked to the corner light for the alternatively flashing lights, or hook the ground for the center lights backup, but remove the wire going to the corner lights. (You of course will not have alternating lights if you do the latter).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

tyman, thank you for the response. I was worried about not getting a response and almost hooked up the wires in the way you said would blow a fuse... good thing I didn't, lol..
Yeah, the guy at the shop did mention that it was dimmer because I cut the ground, but I wanted to make sure. No need for a diagram, I understand .
Is there any way to make the light bright without hooking it back to stock, such as LED? Was just curious. Thanks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:23 PM
6th Gear Poster

At first I thought you could use a brighter bulb (3457). But I remembered that the parking light filament (which is the filament that flashes now) doesn't get brighter with the 3457 just the turn signal filament. (The center lights don't even use the brighter filament of that bulb it just sits dormant)

But I found this thread and Traveler (the very last post) confirms my thoughts on being able to rewire the socket of the center light so the turn signal filament turns on instead of the parking light filament.

If you can't figure it out I might take a look at it on my Cougar and see what I can come up with (I might want to do it on there too, I just made myself be content with the dimmer center light, now you got me thinking
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Do *not* use the higher filament if you do the alternate flashing, I did that and it leaves the turn signal indicators on in the dash as there's too much voltage going back through there. It will work just fine though if you don't do the alternate flashing.

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:53 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thanks for the info. I believe you but my little mind cant figure out why it would get feedback. Can you explain?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Back in Black

Administrator

I'm not sure the exact voltages the parking lights use, so I'll just use X and Y for the values.

Stock setup Power/PowerWire -> X -> Ground/GroundWire
Alternative flashing Not Flashing Power/PowerWire -> X -> Ground/GroundWire
from Signal Indicator -> Ground/PowerWire for high filament of turn signal
Alternative flashing while Flashing Ground/PowerWire <- X <- Power/GroundWire from Signal Indicator

The problem with switching to Y in the last two is that you are now pushing Turn signal strength voltage through the wire that makes the turn signal blink, hense turning on the turn signal indicator in the car since it thinks it's now on.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
6th Gear Poster

It make a little more sense now. This only happens when you turn your turn signals on, right?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

It happens whenever your lights are on as it's still pushing the higher voltage through the wiring, just backwards. It makes a weird buzzing noise in the cabin too while the flasher tries to figure out why it's constant voltage and not cycling.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 04:03 PM
6th Gear Poster

Now I get it Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in