Time for paint - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Time for paint

Its time to paint the Tbird, and I've decided I'm going with Maaco. I know some people have had bad experiences with them, but I got several estimates, and Maaco wants $1400 compared to $2800 - $3200 from other independent body shops.

I took a look at some of the work they had finished (there happened to be a '95 bird in the parking lot) and it looked pretty good. I've learned you usually get what you pay for, but I just couldn't see paying $3K for paint for a 1994 car that's probably worth about the same.

I'm dropping it off this Saturday and should be done by the next Saturday. I will post the results and my comments and hope it will help anyone contemplating a Maaco job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Well I think the main problem with them is that they tape off around trim and such...it should really be removed completely so that the edge of the paint is protected once the trim is reinstalled. If you can remove it yourself real quick, that should help.

What color(s) are you getting?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:40 PM
PostWhore

I agree. The more prep work you can do on your own, the better it will be. Remove headlights, trim, whatever.
Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

About removing the headlights...is it legal to drive (even during the day) with no headlights?

Also the trim...what pieces should be removed? I assume the ones over the windshield and the rear window, other than that not too sure, and not sure how to get the ones I mentioned off anyway. And I have the Xenon ground fx, I guess it would be better if I take that off too? Honestly I'm a little scared about what I might find under there, and about putting it back on properly.

Thanks for the advice!

BTW I'm keeping it the same color, the Royal Blue (paint code KM, which is odd b/c this site only lists KM under 1996 in the tech articles section)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:05 AM
3rd Gear Chirper

I think that trim just pries off of there, you could always swing by a body shop and ask them to show/explain how and what needs to come off.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Paint is done!

Maaco had to keep the car a few extra days because they scrwed up something with the tape and had to repaint something...anyway they had it 9 days and I got it back yesterday. Its been rainy here so I haven't had a chance to inspect it super close yet or take any pictures, but from what I've seen so far it looks pretty good.

On the negative side, there is one small spot of overspray at the top of the black piece on the door between the two windows on the passenger side. Which, coincidentally, I had asked them to repaint in black for me but they neglected to do so. Maybe adding the second color was too complicated for them Also there are a few small scratches on the front of the hood which sucks b/c I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of bringing it back and having them fix something so small.

On the positive side, I was charged exactly what the guy wrote up the estimate for. From what I've seen the work itself looks pretty good, not perfectly smooth, there is some slight orange peel effect in some places, but you really have to get close and look to see it. The ground effects look great, so nice seeing them without paint peeling off!

Overall, definitely worth going with Maaco and saving $1500, especially since this is my everyday car. I'll post pics as soon as i clean the yellow headlights and we get a nice day here.

Hope this is of some use to someone.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
3rd Gear Poster

my sister had her car painted up there about 5 years ago, an the paint still looks pretty good a little faded up good. they charged her i think $500, after my dad an i took all lights an trim off and did all the body work.

u could try a little bit of crab cleaner to take the overspray off (worked for my sisters)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in