Removing MN12 Headlight Assembly - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Removing MN12 Headlight Assembly

Hi, I was wondering how exactly to remove the headlight assembly from our cars, do you need a special tool or is there a secret to it? Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
i think u'd have to remove ur front bumper cover to get it off but other than that jus basic hand tools will work. ive replaced mine. let me know if u have any questions and ill help out.

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Veteran Poster

wait. do you mean the headlight assembly as in the headlight piece?

or the header panel...the piece the headlights and corners attach to? it's black plastic

the headlight assembly is just these little clips you gotta take out, three per headlight. then the headlight simply slides out. there is a ford tool that helps in removal of the clips, which isn't a bad idea to get. everytime I remove them I break one or two.

the headerpanel only needs basic hand tools. I had to remove the grill on my cougar, corner lenses, headlights, and front bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yeah, I'm trying to remove both headlight assemblys to clean them because being a 1991 they are very yellowed. Once the 3 clip are removed you say they slide right out right? Once I do what I wanna do is there any kind of things I need to do when putting them back on so they dont leak? Thanks.

1991 Cougar LS BlueMax

Current MODs:
Removed Air Silencer
K&N Filter
70mm MAF
9mm Ford Racing Wires

Future MODs:
5.0 Swap
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Another question I have is the cone-like rubber retainers that are behind the clips.. how are they loosened and tightened? I tried tightening one on my driver side headlight and the retainer turned as well as the threads. The last owner was in a minor front end (driver side) accident and the driverside headlight is a tad off and if I knew how to tighten that rubber retainer I could fix that when I remove the light to clean and put it back on after, if anyone knows I would be grateful. Thanks.

1991 Cougar LS BlueMax

Current MODs:
Removed Air Silencer
K&N Filter
70mm MAF
9mm Ford Racing Wires

Future MODs:
5.0 Swap
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven
Yeah, I'm trying to remove both headlight assemblys to clean them because being a 1991 they are very yellowed. Once the 3 clip are removed you say they slide right out right? Once I do what I wanna do is there any kind of things I need to do when putting them back on so they dont leak? Thanks.

Yes, once you remove the clips, they should slide out. Mind you, I only have experience with the 95+ headlights. They may be different. Before putting them back in the best thing to do is to put a bead of silicone where the clear plastic meets the back piece. I'd also smooth it out with your finger to get it in the cracks.

Also, once you get them as clear as you want them, and since you already have them off the car, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a coat or two of clearcoat on the lenses. It'll keep them from yellowing.

Quote:
Another question I have is the cone-like rubber retainers that are behind the clips.. how are they loosened and tightened? I tried tightening one on my driver side headlight and the retainer turned as well as the threads. The last owner was in a minor front end (driver side) accident and the driverside headlight is a tad off and if I knew how to tighten that rubber retainer I could fix that when I remove the light to clean and put it back on after, if anyone knows I would be grateful. Thanks.
Ahh...I hate adjusting these headlights. There is a Ford tool for adjusting the headlights (I'll edit with a link if I can find it.) but it's like $20.

If you want to adjust them anyways. What I did was remove all three clips. Pull the headlights out. Put vicegrips on the black plastic piece, and use an crescent wrench to turn the threads. After doing this, put the headlight back in the car, but DO NOT put the clips all the way down. Just enough to keep the headlight secure. Now take it for a drive and see how it is.

Atleast..that's what I did.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
also I used Mothers mag polsih on my headlights it worked good to clean them ...

after the accident I just bought a new set from partschannel for $120

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks so much 95XR7 for your info its gonna help me alot, my dad too for his Thunderbird. I know there are ALOT of methods of cleaning headlights.. Does anyone have any sure fire ones that when your done they look nearly new? Thank You once again!

1991 Cougar LS BlueMax

Current MODs:
Removed Air Silencer
K&N Filter
70mm MAF
9mm Ford Racing Wires

Future MODs:
5.0 Swap
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Thanks so much 95XR7 for your info its gonna help me alot, my dad too for his Thunderbird. I know there are ALOT of methods of cleaning headlights.. Does anyone have any sure fire ones that when your done they look nearly new? Thank You once again!
I sanded mine with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and then used .....ahh..the name slips my mind. It's for plastics to remove scratches.

If you actually put some time into sanding the headlights, they come out pretty good. I noticed with mine though...mine were colored on the inside and outside. So sooner or later I'm just gonna end up buying some new ones.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yeah sanding is what I was thinking for the outside but I know the outside isn't the only part that needs cleaning.. I heard some guys put their headlights in the oven to get off the yellowed glue inside.. that sounds way to risky to use on the ones right off my car, I think the best ones to use is ones from a junked 91-95 Cougar.. Actually I would love if an aftermarket GLASS headlight came out and buy those. If aftermarket glass headlights were made and sold, that company would make a KILLING from all of us! Well I wanna thank you for all your useful info that you posted 95XR7 now I can tackle my headlights and get them cleaned!

1991 Cougar LS BlueMax

Current MODs:
Removed Air Silencer
K&N Filter
70mm MAF
9mm Ford Racing Wires

Future MODs:
5.0 Swap
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Yeah sanding is what I was thinking for the outside but I know the outside isn't the only part that needs cleaning.. I heard some guys put their headlights in the oven to get off the yellowed glue inside.. that sounds way to risky to use on the ones right off my car, I think the best ones to use is ones from a junked 91-95 Cougar.. Actually I would love if an aftermarket GLASS headlight came out and buy those. If aftermarket glass headlights were made and sold, that company would make a KILLING from all of us! Well I wanna thank you for all your useful info that you posted 95XR7 now I can tackle my headlights and get them cleaned!
I really wouldn't put my headlights in the oven. Cougar headlights are a pita to get apart. I know..I've tried. :P

No problem.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95XR7
I really wouldn't put my headlights in the oven. Cougar headlights are a pita to get apart. I know..I've tried. :P
they arent hard to get apart. i have gotten several cougar headlights apart before with them sitting at room temperature.

steven, see my sig.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
Quote:

Im surprised APC doesnt make some for our cars, Id buy it even though it was APC

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike
they arent hard to get apart. i have gotten several cougar headlights apart before with them sitting at room temperature.

steven, see my sig.
really? I tried on one pair, and they wouldn't come apart at all. Stupid pita's.

Oh well though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in