looking for body parts - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

looking for body parts

I just got a '90 SC that needs a lot of restoration. I'm looking for a lot of parts that most parts stores (NAPA, etc.) don't carry, and I don't want to have to rebuild a car off dealership prices. I have also checked JC Whitney, CarParts.com, and a couple others without much luck. I need some body panels, some interior pieces including a dashpad, and a lt of switches and electronics. Some stuff I can pull at a junkyard, but I want the electronics and body panels to be new and rust-free. Anyone know where else I could go to find resto parts? Also, what is inolved in pulling the dashpad out of the old style cars? I know how to do it in my 95 but not my 90. The yard I go to for dirt-cheap prices is 45 minutes away so I want to have all the tools and know-how to only make one trip to get this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 PM

If your doing a full resto surface rust on panels isnt really a big deal and can be easily fixed if your gonna repaint then anyways. You can try body shops since most of them deal in cheaper aftermarket knock off parts (but you get what you pay for, most of those need "adjusting" to fit properly)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I'm more worried about interior parts. I just got quoted $50 for the power mirror directional switch, and $430 for a sunroof motor. And that is all at my cost through my corporate account. I don't trust junkyard parts, as I have gotten a lot of bad electronics from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:52 PM

Ive had a few bad ones from the wrecker, but the place here is really good about it, just bring it in and get another one. Guess you just have to decide if the possibilty of bad parts is worth spending 10 and more times the price to get new ones.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SoulCalibur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 232bird
I just got a '90 SC that needs a lot of restoration. I'm looking for a lot of parts that most parts stores (NAPA, etc.) don't carry, and I don't want to have to rebuild a car off dealership prices. I have also checked JC Whitney, CarParts.com, and a couple others without much luck. I need some body panels, some interior pieces including a dashpad, and a lt of switches and electronics. Some stuff I can pull at a junkyard, but I want the electronics and body panels to be new and rust-free. Anyone know where else I could go to find resto parts? Also, what is inolved in pulling the dashpad out of the old style cars? I know how to do it in my 95 but not my 90. The yard I go to for dirt-cheap prices is 45 minutes away so I want to have all the tools and know-how to only make one trip to get this thing.

Dood, try ebay. If you do ASK pleanty of questions. Sometimes things there are dirt cheap. Or even try this group. They can help you alot.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

true, but I don't want to get another 16 year old part that might go out in six months, weeks, or days. I don't want to rebuild this car with old tired parts and end up ALWAYS rebuilding it. And there is some stuff, like weather stripping, that I can't get used. I guess I can, but it would already be useless.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

for small crap like switches , junk yard, i usually take 2 or 3 incase i get a bad one,. besides, i wouldnt trust most mechanical parts from a yard. just on idea alone, but for body and interior their is absoulty nothing wrong trusting used parts . the dash isnt that hard to do,you need to one, unbolt the main harness in the lh side underhood, remove console undo the 2 nuts holindg it to the floor, take the covers off the top and remove the 4 bolts there, pull the door weatherstrips and kickpanes and remove the 2 bolts on each side, on the passengerside you will also need to remove the glove box to get at the bolt. , you need to remove the steering column , there is a nut on the driverside , just above the wiper governor that hold the dash to the parking brake bracket. you nee dto disconnect the rear body harness conenctor on the driverside, you also need to disconnect the plugs in the passenger side kickpanel. also you need to unhook one side of the heater control cable. that should cover it, i have pulled a few in yards , usually around an hour or so .

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

sorry, Soucaliber, I didn't see your post before I replied. I never thought about Ebay, good idea. I'll go check that out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Jk89cat, sounds just like a 94/95 dash. Good, I'll be more motivated to do it now. Thanks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
www.partschannel.com I got my header panel and headlights from there under $150 for everything

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in