Rear-end damage. (56k don't even bother..) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Rear-end damage. (56k don't even bother..)

Alright, some of you may know that I got in a wreck back in like January. Icy roads, basically slicks on the back, etc etc...you get the idea.

Well, for those of you that don't know. I went into a ditch backwards after spinning and hit passenger side quarter panel, and rear bumper first.

Basically what I'm asking is your opinions on this. What's the cheapest, best way to fix this? I really don't want to pay a body shop, so I'd prefer to do it myself or at the shop. I know for a fact the frame IS NOT bent, just the quarter panel. I've had that thing up on a lift at work checking every section of the rearend, quite a few times and everything is straight, but the quarter panel.

Here's a shot with the cover on. If you notice the 6+ inch crack in the cover. Directly behind the forward section, it is bolted into the quarter panel. Meaning, it's been pushed in towards the center of the car.

Here's a shot of some other damage caused by the ditch. ...

The circled sections show the only differences between the driver side and the passenger side. On the passenger side, looking from the rear, it also looks like a crap weld started to break.

Here, if you compare the distance between the quarter panel, and the trunk at the very top of the picture, and where it started to round, you can see it's been pushed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Lithsanatrex
eeeh.. that is gonna be very tough to get lined back up right. i had all kinds of compression bends like that on ym tbird when i wrecked it (jumping RR tracks and landing half and half on asphalt and dirt ) and they quoted me around 3800 to get it straight again. i dont knnow how chepa it i gonna be, but for the bumper, you can try and glue it then fill, sand and paint and go from there with the bodywork. hope everything turns out okies.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithsanatrex
eeeh.. that is gonna be very tough to get lined back up right. i had all kinds of compression bends like that on ym tbird when i wrecked it (jumping RR tracks and landing half and half on asphalt and dirt ) and they quoted me around 3800 to get it straight again. i dont knnow how chepa it i gonna be, but for the bumper, you can try and glue it then fill, sand and paint and go from there with the bodywork. hope everything turns out okies.
Well, the bumper..I'm just gonna buy a used one and get it repainted with the car.

As far as the compression bends. I wonder if it'd work to break the welds where it's boxed, pull out the side of it, then completely reweld it. I know it won't be perfectly straight, but I want it less noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Veteran Poster

although you said the "frame" isnt bent, to yank the quarter back, it should go up on a frame rack to be pulled. BFH might work too. just dont cut the welds if youre not replacing the panel. might as well go to the body shop to get the buckles out. gotta do whatcha gotta do.

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 03:45 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Lithsanatrex
yeah, get a quote first tho, if it is too high, use it as a trade in on another one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in