Prepping for paint - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Prepping for paint

The time has come for me to get moving on finishing the bird, and I have some urethane gfx that I need to get prepped for painting. They are currently the Emerald green color and look decent. Is it better to sand ALL the paint off until I hit yellow plastic, or should I leave the current paint on there as a base?

Also, in what order and grit would work the best for these peices? Like start at 600, then go to 800, etc...

Thanks!

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 07:20 PM
6th Gear Poster

If they're already painted and the paint is in good condition.. then wetsanding with 600 should leave you in good standing order. If there are any chips in the paint, you want to feather them out until you can't feel them anymore. The paint shop should still prep it to a degree on their own.. but 600ing it should take the meat of the prep work out. You want to make sure the sanding is good, so take a half sheet of paper and fold it into three to get into the spots you can't get a block into. Don't leave any shiny spots, if possible.

a black car.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

thank you. That's what I was looking for. There are a few spots on the rear gfx where it looks like it was scraped on the ground lightly, so I'll smooth those out as well.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbird96 Send a message via MSN to thunderbird96 Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbird96
make sure you use wash them real good.then let dry then use wax and grease remover then sand.If you don't it will drive dirt and contament's in the plastic causeing the paint to lift or blister when flashing between coats of paint. The painter will be cusing ya after he's done and may charge you more for fixing it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 07:53 PM
5th Gear Poster

if the paint is glossy and has no chips or heavy scratches that go into the basecoat or urethane itself then 800 grit is fine. if its got some good scratches or cuts then use handsand with 320 grit, you'll have to primer it but it will get it out better than 600 or 800. like they said above get all the shiney stuff gone or the paint will flake on down the road. best way to get the part clean is to use laquer thinner or mineral spirits, that will get it better than washing with plain water.

94 lx : sold
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 04:56 PM

IF you need some bodywork advice this is a GREAT site....ignore the ad part and go to their Paint and Body Forum...I had a body shop for in the sixties and seventies and every time I go to this website it reminds me how much things have changed...

http://www.paintucation.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in