Painted Couger bumper on a T-bird, anyone? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Painted Couger bumper on a T-bird, anyone?

I have a mildly modded 1997 4.6 Thunderbird. I would like to get a 96 or 97 Couger front bumper and paint it black to match my car, then run an expanded mesh grill. My question is : how do you prep the chrome strips for paint, and is a flex agent in the paint mandatory? Also, what are some locally available filler types for the license plate holes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

the "chrome" strips are most likely (if I recall) a stick on type deal....you can either peal them, or worst case, sand them off....as for a flex agent...well, noting is ever mandatory, but some things are just a good idea, so, definantly go for it, you don't want cracking/chipping/peeling paint and it WILL happen on urethane. as for filling the holes....I dunno, body filler of sorts? I'm sure there is urethane bumper filler out there somewhere. You'll notice better cooling with that bumper. and why not go mesh-less and rig up a "flying" (floating) bird emblem i.e. mustang mach 1 grille style only problem there is you get rocks hitting your radiator like my car

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 07:27 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rjstat
There is a primer that will adheres to the chrome I don't have any pics but I have seen a 96 cougar where the owner cut out all the of the center vertical barsand installed a mesh from the back side and used the out support for a frame. The header panel is the same but there is work that needs to be done to the hood to mount the grille. The hole for the grille should be there the holes for the eyebrow mldg are not I have also seen the mod with or without the eyebrow mldg.
Oh buy the way none of the grille part are stick on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in