removing chrome wheel well lips - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
removing chrome wheel well lips

I have a 95 xr7 LE with the tan half rag top and the chrome over the wheel wells, I am missing one of the chrome lips on the front driver side so instead of ordering a set of new ones , I figured I would take them off. Does anyone see any issues I might have in doing this? I plan to just grind of the rivets on the bottom. I think it looks nicer with out them and gives it more of a "mean" look. Any ideas or comments would be apreciated. Thanks, Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have removed one of mine to see if was covering any damage, but I didn't have enough time to take them all off, so I pop riveted it back on until I can either take off the wheel and drill the pop rivets, or use my dremel and cut the heads off the pop rivets.

Only thing I am worried about is damage under one of them (and covered with the wheel well trim) or that the paint will be different color (mine is pearl, and I could see it being a different color with 9 years less sun exposure). I will be removing mine soon though, oddly enough the same time I do that I am adding them to my 2000 Grand Marquis, but that is a different style car, and I have dinged wheel well lips to cover too.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

So today I took them off and it looks a lot nicer I gotta say. I found one minor rust spot on the pass side front in the fender well so I used my angle grinder to bring it down to fresh metal and I will be painting it tomorrow. here are some before and afters
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, with the Bostonian style top, the stock wheels, white walls, and that passenger mirror, I would have left them on.

I would paint the holes from the rivets too, I did that for the mud flaps I removed, one of the mounting points was into the metal lip.

They look okay on my car, but they don't fit the style I am hoping for once I get to do some appearance style upgrades.

--
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well the mirror is being replaced on monday night, so it will look better. 1 of them was missing and another was dented so I figured this would look better. I also plan to go with cobra r style rims in the some what near future, and as for the tires I am losing the white walls asap.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
looks good without the chrome

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Street Freekz

Send a message via MSN to 96_Cougar Send a message via Yahoo to 96_Cougar
With the Bostonian style top I think I'd have left them on but it still looks good & will look even better I think with the Cobra R's.

In Memory of FD 420

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave" ~ Elmer Davis, American news commentator (1890-1958). God bless all veterans: past & present.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishkah
I think it looks nicer with out them and gives it more of a "mean" look. Any ideas or comments would be apreciated. Thanks, Jon
Well being as your missing one of them and another one is dented sure go ahead and take them off - i never liked them anyway - but don't delude yourself that granpa's south florida retirement limited edition cougar looks meaner without them. It still looks like an old folks car, just different that's all.

I appreciate you want ot put some nice rims and rubber on it but with that old mans roof on it is it even worth it? imo these vinyl clad cougars never look good when muscled up or blinged out. It just looks weird.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

ehh for a free car how could I argue esp with only 62k on the clock. I agree I don't really like the top but I still want to try and make it look nicer I had thought of taking the top off and sanding/grinding it down to bare metal filling in any holes and then taking it in for paint but that would cost more then the car is worth so I have to see what I end up doing with the car.

oh and I also plan to lose the luggage rack on the trunk but I think I may be better off just swapping out the lids from another cat.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Hittin' Switches

Send a message via AIM to musto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
Well being as your missing one of them and another one is dented sure go ahead and take them off - i never liked them anyway - but don't delude yourself that granpa's south florida retirement limited edition cougar looks meaner without them. It still looks like an old folks car, just different that's all.

I appreciate you want ot put some nice rims and rubber on it but with that old mans roof on it is it even worth it? imo these vinyl clad cougars never look good when muscled up or blinged out. It just looks weird.

i disagree, i think it looks better with the top on.

I dont care too much for the cougars without the top. I dont think it looks like a old persons car, i think it looks pretty tight.

at least the top adds some style to it. The regular cougars are what looks like a old persons car.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

what is the bolt pattern on these wheels? 4.5x5? and does anyone know where I can find cobra r replicas or the real ones ? or something similar for cheap?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

wheels are 5x4.25, NOT the same as the factory or aftermarket Cobra Rs for Mustangs, HOWEVER there are Cobra Rs available in our bolt pattern and better back spacing. Finding them Cheap, that is another thing. You might also be able to find some SVT 17x7 Cobra R wheels, FRPP no longer makes them, and most places are out of stock, but you might find some used or someone might have them. Someone here recently scored a set. 7 inch is too narrow for me, but for my 89 where I want passenger style tires and not UHP or HP tires, it would be better. A 235/55/17 would look good on them.

For a free car, do what you can to get it looking the best for as little money as you can. If the wheel well lip moulding is missing and damaged, take them off, I wouldn't try anything with the top, it isn't something I would buy (I passed up a 91 Cougar with a 5.0 but had the bostonian top when I bought my 89 with the 3.8, a soft top doesn't suite the car, like it does an 80s Crown Vic/Grand Marquis for example).

--
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 01:44 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Bangster now this is Just me, If you would take off the chrome and lower that CAT she would be smoking
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bird
Bangster now this is Just me, If you would take off the chrome and lower that CAT she would be smoking
The bostonian tops and the chrome wheelwell trim have never been at the top of my "likes" list.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 04:04 PM

My Cougar has the Landau roof on it and it's one of the things i like about it..... It makes the rear three windows smaller. I also have vertical "coach lights" on the sides that i dig. I'd post pics but I can't.....or something.

There's a link in my sig though.....

Eric

Oh yeah.....Got the V8 too.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in