Headlight adjustment - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Headlight adjustment

how do you align headlights? I've had two people do it (including FORD) and they just keep making worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:46 PM
CEO, WT Club

Send a message via AIM to GODSPEED Send a message via MSN to GODSPEED
4mm socket or something? Anyway...do a search or google it and find a diagram on what it should look like. Park in front of a wall, and adjust them yourself. If you dont find one, let me now monday and I'll mail you the one I have saved at home. It's pretty easy to do, just takes a few minutes.

-Joel

Previous MN12s:
'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 - Performance White
Bought 01/12/08 w/ 33,000 original mi. Big plans, little execution. Sold as a fallen victim to life's happenings.
'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 - Performance White
Leaky shifter @ 137,441; what a good ride. Gone to the crusher, but not forgotten... moth and rust doth corrupt.

'13 Mustang GT Premium 5.0L V8, Auto, Brembo, Black - Daily Dark Horse
'11 Edge SEL AWD 3.5L V6, Loaded, Black - For the Misses
'98 F-150 XLT RegCab 8'Bed, 4.6L V8 4x4 ORP Oxford White - Work Truck

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Banned

well you have a 96+ stly headlight so turn the threaded part sticking through the lock that holds the light to the header panel. i forgot what size the tip is of the thread but i just used pliers. park your car facing a wall maybe 20 feet away from it. there are two threads to turn for adjustments. the one closer to the middle of the bumper is for up and down adjustments. turning the thread clockwise/counter clockwise will cause the light to move up and down. the thread closer next to your corner lights will adjust left and right motion by turning the thread counter/clockwise.

adjusting your headlights/foglights will do wonders for your light output on the road:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
when you say 20 ft away from the wall, do you mean that is where the beam should end?

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Banned

no the beam should not end at 20 feet. i would say knee level 20 feet away..i know thats not accurate but i cant seem to remember the exact number at the moment.

-Mike
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:12 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I found a good site that shows how to do this. I have cut a few excerpts from the various sites. Hope these help.

On level ground, put your vehicle in front of a wall as close as possible. With tape, put 2 crosses on the wall that correspond with the vertical and horizontal center lines of both headlights. Back up 25 ft., keeping the vehicle centered with your crosses on the wall. Turn on headlights. Low Beams should be hitting the lower right sections of the crosses. High Beams should split the cross hairs. Turn the horizonal and vertical adjusting screws (located at the headlights) to make adjustments.

The technical legal specification in the USA for headlight height adjustment is 2.1" below the center at 25 feet and the right to left adjustment should be centered at 25 feet.

There is also a site that has a .PDF file. The link is below:

http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-...-PROCEDURE.pdf

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in