Trunk Supports - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
shaken, not stirred

Trunk Supports

Does anyone have the Trunk supports from a mustang installed in their MN12? If you do, do you have pictures of it? I always read they are from a '94 mustang but i always wondered if anyone ever has done this. i don't thingk i have ever seen a pic of it and i am tired of getting my head whacked by a run-a-way trunk lid.
thanks

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Who is John Galt?

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Wow, That is me, Cool... LOL.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
shaken, not stirred

My bad! I konw i had searched before and never found anything, and here someone does it a week before i ask. thanks

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Veteran Poster

do you know how long are they extended?,if i go to the junkyard tommarow im curious as to if ones off a probe or somthing would work too.

-Doug
95 T-bird, purple python,i'll drive it again.........someday.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...73&ref=profile
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Here's a repost of a more permanent method of installing the lift struts, complete with pictures and part numbers.

The methods shown above are fine, but the strut can pop off the torsion bar at any time, usually just before you want to open the trunk.

PM me with any questions

Trunk Lid lift strut information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just completed installation of a trunk lid lift strut. This lift strut allows the trunk lid to go up completely. It does not fly up, but rather goes up at a nice rate. It also closes nice, and it minimizes the chances of the lid slamming shut.

You will need the following parts.

1. Lift strut - Ford part number is F4ZZ-63406A10-B and is from a 1994 Mustang GT.
Cost: $20.67 with member discount

2. Ball mount bracket - McMaster Carr part #9512K91 (Qty. 1) Cost: $1.20

3. Coupling Nut- McMaster Carr part #93355A105 (Qty.) 8mm x 1.25 pitch x 1 1/2" lg.
Cost: $2.87

Note: I use the NJ branch of McMaster Carr, phone 1-732-329-3200

4. Pan head screw - #10-24 unc x 1" lg, with hex nut.

To install:

1. Screw the coupling onto the existing stud, as shown in photo

2. Attached ball socket fitting included with lift strut, to other end of coupling.

3. Enlarge top right hole to 1/4" dia. in ball mount bracket, to fit around trunk torsion arm.

4. Place ball mount bracket in position shown in photo, and drill a 3/16" dia. hole thru trunk arm, to line up with top left hole in ball mount bracket.

5. De-burr both sides of hole in trunk arm, and install pan head screw.

6. Attach lift strut to both ball sockets.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 04:50 PM

I got tired of trunk lid going down when unloading trunk on an incline so I put 2 lift struts on my trunk. When I push the remote trunk button I can eject a cat over the hood. JK.. It flies up real nice.. Thanks for the pic's
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 AM
4th Gear Poster

This may sound like a stupid question, but are the struts from a 94 mustang GT hood or trunk? I just figured they may have put them on the trunk of a mustang and not the 'birds. I am definitely doing this mod!

Thanks,
Mike
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh68 View Post
This may sound like a stupid question, but are the struts from a 94 mustang GT hood or trunk? I just figured they may have put them on the trunk of a mustang and not the 'birds. I am definitely doing this mod!

Thanks,
Mike
94-04 Mustang GT TRUNK STRUTS for our trunk lifts...I ordered them from late model restoration a.k.a 50 resto, however, you can probably get them elsewhere...with the following MCMASTER-CARR parts:

9512K91 - BALL STUD MOUNT THAT GOES ON THE TRUNK LID ARMS YOU NEED TWO OF THESE *I used self tapping screws to attach them, used two, one in each hole, and the third hole goes on the metal piece coming out of the trunk arms.

93355A105 - COUPLERS TO ATTACH TO THE STUDS INSIDE THE TRUNK UNDER THE PACKAGE SHELF YOU NEED TWO OF THESE

9512K98 - BALL STUD MOUNTS TO SCREW INTO THE COUPLERS LISTED ABOVE, YOU NEED TWO OF THESE (these where not mentioned above, but they are pictured on the red car's installation)

I just did this mod this week and it's just great...trunk opens real fast even on a steep hill and will stay open, yet is still easy to close.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
94-04 Mustang GT TRUNK STRUTS for our trunk lifts...I ordered them from late model restoration a.k.a 50 resto, however, you can probably get them elsewhere...with the following MCMASTER-CARR parts:

9512K91 - BALL STUD MOUNT THAT GOES ON THE TRUNK LID ARMS YOU NEED TWO OF THESE *I used self tapping screws to attach them, used two, one in each hole, and the third hole goes on the metal piece coming out of the trunk arms.

93355A105 - COUPLERS TO ATTACH TO THE STUDS INSIDE THE TRUNK UNDER THE PACKAGE SHELF YOU NEED TWO OF THESE

9512K98 - BALL STUD MOUNTS TO SCREW INTO THE COUPLERS LISTED ABOVE, YOU NEED TWO OF THESE (these where not mentioned above, but they are pictured on the red car's installation)

I just did this mod this week and it's just great...trunk opens real fast even on a steep hill and will stay open, yet is still easy to close.
I just did the mod yesterday evening.
there was one problem with the parts listed, the ball stud (9512K98), is a different threading than the couplers (93355A105) and needs to be re-tapped to fit correctly. I chose to re-tap one side of the coupler to 5/16 and leave the other side as m8.
also the hole on the ball stud mount (9512K91) that needs to be enlarged needs to use a 5/16 drill bit, any smaller and it wont fit around the little stud sticking out of the trunk arm. it will be a very tight fit so use a small deep socket over the trunk arm stud and tap it into place with a hammer.
my trunk opens fast now and stays open.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Just to clarify a couple of things..........

1. The Mustang GT trunk struts come with a ball stud. (EDIT: I ordered mine from Ford) This screws into the coupling - which screws into the stud sticking out of the rear deck shelf. It should not be necessary to re-drill or re-tap to make these fit. Mine went in straight out of the package with no mods.

2. Enlarging the hole on the bracket.

You want that to be a tight fit - so use the 1/4" dia. drill bit and if it won't fit, I would then use a 17/64 dia. drill or a 9/32 dia. drill until it fit.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling-Thunder View Post
Just to clarify a couple of things..........

1. The Mustang GT trunk struts come with a ball stud. (EDIT: I ordered mine from Ford) This screws into the coupling - which screws into the stud sticking out of the rear deck shelf. It should not be necessary to re-drill or re-tap to make these fit. Mine went in straight out of the package with no mods.
I ordered my trunk struts from 50 resto and they didn't come with the ball stud
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
I ordered my trunk struts from 50 resto and they didn't come with the ball stud
I got my struts from rockauto and they didn't come with ball studs either
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:13 PM
5th Gear Poster

Are the people doing this removing the stock torsion bars?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
3rd Gear Poster

If you look in the picture it looks to me that the torsion bars are still intact.

My Lug Nuts Require More Torque Than Your Honda Makes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
5th Gear Poster

Yeah, they are still there at the time the picture was taken, but were they removed later?

If your not removing the torsion bars then I'm not really understanding the point of adding the struts.

I'm converting my trunk over to struts because the torsion bar springs are in the way. So far, my two struts will open the trunk half way but not hold it all the way open. I'm going to have to tweak the geometry and maybe step up to stiffer struts. I decided to look here to see if anyone else is doing what I am. They kinda are, but not really. I want to understand why others are adding a strut(s). Can anyone explain it?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

On my 95, the torsion bars where not strong enough to hold the trunk up, especially after I added the SHO spoiler to the car....same thing on the 96 I have now...It seems to me that if you remove the torsion bars completely and only rely on the lift struts they might not have enough gusto to open or hold the trunk up...these especially help if you park on a steep driveway like I do...trunk will NOT slam down no matter what.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 PM
The Parts Guy

Anyone know what strut p/n or extended/compressed lengths would work for a Cougar?

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
On my 95, the torsion bars where not strong enough to hold the trunk up, especially after I added the SHO spoiler to the car....same thing on the 96 I have now...It seems to me that if you remove the torsion bars completely and only rely on the lift struts they might not have enough gusto to open or hold the trunk up...these especially help if you park on a steep driveway like I do...trunk will NOT slam down no matter what.
Wouldn't a simpler fix be to adjust (twist) the bars more so they are stronger? Oh well, I see what you mean.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 1WLD BRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
Anyone know what strut p/n or extended/compressed lengths would work for a Cougar?
I just got done doing this to my '96 Cougar today. I used the stang trunk struts. but instead I made mine a more permenant install. I cut the mounting hardware out of the back of my wifes '96 Explorer that we are scrapping, and welded in to the Cougar. I am happy with it so far. I have a Saleen S351 wing and it opens no problem at all.

Here is a video clip of me poping the trunk on my remote:

My Cougar Domain
XBox Live: cn1WLD BRD
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:34 PM
PostSlut

is that it?

I thought the idea was to lift it all the way up?

You did say the lift supports were used, so maybe with some new ones, it will take it to the top?

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 1WLD BRD
Those ARE brand new. and the idea is to HOLD the trunk up not lift it. do these supports lift the trunk on stangs? Nope.... they are just meant to hold them up. mind you, with out the wing on there it lifts them right to the top no probs.

My Cougar Domain
XBox Live: cn1WLD BRD
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

I got rid of my trunk springs and added 2 strong shocks. It will pop it completely open. I'll post pics soon.

1WLD BRD positioned his shocks for max force when the trunk is closed. As it opens, the force weakens. If you want to spread the force more evenly you have to mount the shocks higher in the front, like to the rear deck, and mount the other end closer to the trunk hinge pivot point. Try to use as much of the stroke as you can.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-21-2010 at 12:01 AM.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:07 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WLD BRD View Post
Those ARE brand new. and the idea is to HOLD the trunk up not lift it. do these supports lift the trunk on stangs? Nope.... they are just meant to hold them up. mind you, with out the wing on there it lifts them right to the top no probs.
I've had the trunk supports on two 95 tbirds with spoilers and it lifts the trunk up all the way, but mine were mounted right to the hinges and on the stud that hangs down from the rear deck.

Mike
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Veteran Poster

I just got a set of these from the wreckers from a 94 or maybe a 95.

They're way too long to screw onto that stud that hangs down, and mount to the trunk hinges.

When the trunk is open the struts would only be extended about 4" from a possible 12" or so.
I'm not even sure if it would be able to close like that either. the struts might get fully compressed before the lid is closed.

They do have a different part number though, but I think they are marked as 1994.

so where can I score a pair of shorter ones or where could I mount the other side so it has better travel?

Rest In Peace Mom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in