Need a lighting expert (Porkchop?) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Need a lighting expert (Porkchop?)

Hey, I came across these on Ebay. Now I know they won't just "bolt in". But anyone have any thoughts on how easily they might be modified to fit in the T-bird headlight housings? They look pretty similar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...ayphotohosting

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

Although it looks like it would be a pretty easy swap you have to take into account what size they are, and the quality of the projector. There are all kind of different brands out there such as hella, piaa, valeo *i have those*, and more. Honestly i would stay away from any apc style headlight seeing how they are mostly for looks. Heck, ive seen square headlights with projector lens' in the middle for about 50 bucks a pair. That doesnt mean that your car will produce the same lighting and looks as a bmw stlye projector. If it did then i would of got a set of cheap ebay lights (such as the link you have provided).

Also the projectors use halogen 9005 lights and if you wanted to convert them to hid the light output would be a lot different, kinda like putting hid bulbs in out halogen lens, all projectors are designed for a specific reason. Some are daytime running lights, high beams, or regular headlight beams.

They sell projectors on ebay for retrofit all the time. Search "projectors" and you will see a good amount of bmw/lexus/hella projectors such as these. I bought my projectors on ebay for about 60 bucks and spent about 40 bucks on materials such as fiberglass, sandpaper, paint, etc. If you have the skills to sand and paint and use fiberglass then you can make the projector housings yourself and have that custom look to it. It will be the same amount of work to get those stang lights to work in tbird lights.

So, all in the end it comes down to the quality of the projectors. Look on ebay and experiment. My first set of projectors were a learning experience and didnt go too well for me but that experience helped me out alot when making the set i have now. Do the work right the first time around and stay away from those cheap ebay wanna be apc lights. I doubt they work as good as mine...

Hope that helps

-Mike
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Actually that helps a lot. Thanks Mike.

by the way, have you gotten those wires yet?

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
<<< SOLD >>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
Actually that helps a lot. Thanks Mike.

by the way, have you gotten those wires yet?
i just got them 15 minutes ago...lol no kidding

im off to work in bout 2 hours so i will try to swap the wires real quick and hopefully send them out tomorrow, if not saturday for sure.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
lol No rush, as you said I've got two cars and the one that those wires came off of isn't going anywhere for a quite a while.

Since you're car was previously red under the hood, do you have any idea where I can get something to change the blue parts of my CAI to red ones?

http://members.tccoa.com/traveler/UnderHood.html

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Yea well the wires are on and i thought you needed them asap but i guess no rush but i will send them soon. The engine bay looks a HELL of a lot better with blue wires..

Here are the red wires that i wiped with dielectrical cleaner..

As far as changing the blue rubber couplers on your intake they sell black/red/blue at autozone. Right before i sold my car i powdercoated my RMTube black and changed the black couplers to red ones. I couldnt find any pics of them but yes the sell them in the ricer zone of autozone
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Thanks a bunch, now all I have to do is find an Autozone. (danged small towns)

And they do look good on there (if I do say so myself! )

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop
The engine bay looks a HELL of a lot better with blue wires..
It looks real good Mike.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
why is it that they make projector kits for everything except thunderbirds? Hondas, Focus's,Mustangs... etc...

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Banned

because there are thousands of peope out there that will buy thier rice'd out crappy quality products. Last time we talked about euro tail lights and 95% that replied said hell no....THATS why
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I wouldn't mind having projectors. They look pretty good, and they do light up the road. (My girlfriends BMW had them and now her 99 cougar has them) But the "euro-taillights" are just idiotic looking. IMO

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhumane
long did it take you to make those projectors porky? you could start a micro manufactuing thing. lmao.
well i took me a good long weekend. i had the weekend off work for the first time and i just finnaly had time to do it. its just too much work and effort to find projectors that are close to the size of the projectors i have but its not too difficult.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in