Quick question on 95-96 seat brackets and 97 - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 94badbird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quick question on 95-96 seat brackets and 97

I'm planning on tossing in a new set of corbeau sport style seats and store away my factory seats want to keep them mint in case of ever re sell the car .
The passenger seat and back seat have never seen an Ass sat in them more then a handful of times ive confirmed that with original owner .
So corbeau they actually oddly enough carry the 95-96 thunderbird seat brackets proprieatary to work and bolt to their seats still but fail to mention 97 availability...I assume it's no diff ?!

So question is there any difference in bolt pattern and or floor pan design from the 95-96 Lx to any 97 model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I believe all the seat brackets are the same for the MN12, regardless of generation/year.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 159k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 150k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 176k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 5.0 View Post
I'm planning on tossing in a new set of corbeau sport style seats and store away my factory seats want to keep them mint in case of ever re sell the car .
The passenger seat and back seat have never seen an Ass sat in them more then a handful of times ive confirmed that with original owner .
So corbeau they actually oddly enough carry the 95-96 thunderbird seat brackets proprieatary to work and bolt to their seats still but fail to mention 97 availability...I assume it's no diff ?!

So question is there any difference in bolt pattern and or floor pan design from the 95-96 Lx to any 97 model.
I have used Corbeau brackets and have two complaints:
1) I remember having the cut the side bracket where the stock seatbelt would bolt onto since it hits the transmission tunnel. shit design. Hopefully they fixed it but I doubt it. I think this was an issue on the drivers side.

1.5) I also remember having to enlarge one of the forward mounting holes slightly to get the bolts to line up.

2) Double locking sliders can gum up with repeated use (granted, a track car with random holes in the floor and no windows except a front windshield is a much dirtier environment than a street car). This might necessitate some cursing while you unbolt the entire seat, flip it up, and move things around to reset the sliders so they are both in the right position.

3) I also found that when the single locking slider is all the way back (the position I need b/c my battery is mounted in the passenger footwell), the adjusting arm (which doesn't move with the seat) sticks out too far forward and can get stabby with your ankles. I ended up cutting mine down on the passenger side.

4) #2 bugged me enough that when I upgraded my driver seat from a Corbeau to a Bimarco Grip Halo seat, I went ahead an bought a new set of single locking sliders. I then found that under max cornering, the seat would rock ever so slightly (we are talking about 1mm). Its noticable (esp when you are using a 5pt harness) and I attribute this to slop in the teeth (it NEVER slips teeth though which would be a safety hazard). I haven't taken it apart to see if I can cut deeper grooves but I wish it was better. FWIW, my Audi's driver seat rocks ever so slightly as well and that's all OEM Recaro BS.

Bottom Line: The Corbeau sliders are usable but they are by no means perfect. FWIW, I never found a better option for sliders. Now that i have the corbeau bases that have been modified to work with the tbird, I suppose I could be on the lookout for better flat sliders (maybe try Jegs or something in the future). Since you need both the bases + the sliders, I'm not sure there's a more cost effective option (unless you fabricate your own base OR buy/find a set of tbird OEM manual sliders).

Slider-only options (what i'll try next)
JEGS Performance Products 70220: Seat Mount Slider Brackets Dual Locking Sliding Style (locks into four locations) | JEGS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Un...-/131499815857
https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...gSeatHardware/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1153

Other Options (never tested)
Ford Thunderbird 94-96 Seat Brackets
Recaro Seat Slider - Inside/Outside Locking-Stable Energies
I remember seeing another company that offered seat brackets but they were in the $150+ range.

PS. Repeated removal/reinstallation of your seats may cause you to loosen up the front mounting bolts to such a point where they never fully tightened. When I showed the bolts to a friend who runs the local CC machine shop, he commented that the bolt design (slightly oval so it engages the threads only on two sides vs all the way around) seems to be designed so that a factory worker can install them with an impact tool and they will "self thread" if needed. They aren't meant for repeated installation/removal. To fix my issue, I ended up enlarging the hole slightly and rethreading it for a slightly larger bolt (went from the stock M8x1.5 to the slightly larger 5/16-18). Problem solved.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Quote:

I have used Corbeau brackets and have two complaints:
1) I remember having the cut the side bracket where the stock seatbelt would bolt onto since it hits the transmission tunnel. shit design. Hopefully they fixed it but I doubt it. I think this was an issue on the drivers side.

1.5) I also remember having to enlarge one of the forward mounting holes slightly to get the bolts to line up.

2) Double locking sliders can gum up with repeated use (granted, a track car with random holes in the floor and no windows except a front windshield is a much dirtier environment than a street car). This might necessitate some cursing while you unbolt the entire seat, flip it up, and move things around to reset the sliders so they are both in the right position.

3) I also found that when the single locking slider is all the way back (the position I need b/c my battery is mounted in the passenger footwell), the adjusting arm (which doesn't move with the seat) sticks out too far forward and can get stabby with your ankles. I ended up cutting mine down on the passenger side.

4) #2 bugged me enough that when I upgraded my driver seat from a Corbeau to a Bimarco Grip Halo seat, I went ahead an bought a new set of single locking sliders. I then found that under max cornering, the seat would rock ever so slightly (we are talking about 1mm). Its noticable (esp when you are using a 5pt harness) and I attribute this to slop in the teeth (it NEVER slips teeth though which would be a safety hazard). I haven't taken it apart to see if I can cut deeper grooves but I wish it was better. FWIW, my Audi's driver seat rocks ever so slightly as well and that's all OEM Recaro BS.

Bottom Line: The Corbeau sliders are usable but they are by no means perfect. FWIW, I never found a better option for sliders. Now that i have the corbeau bases that have been modified to work with the tbird, I suppose I could be on the lookout for better flat sliders (maybe try Jegs or something in the future). Since you need both the bases + the sliders, I'm not sure there's a more cost effective option (unless you fabricate your own base OR buy/find a set of tbird OEM manual sliders).

Slider-only options (what i'll try next)
JEGS Performance Products 70220: Seat Mount Slider Brackets Dual Locking Sliding Style (locks into four locations) | JEGS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Un...-/131499815857
https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...gSeatHardware/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1153

Other Options (never tested)
Ford Thunderbird 94-96 Seat Brackets
Recaro Seat Slider - Inside/Outside Locking-Stable Energies
I remember seeing another company that offered seat brackets but they were in the $150+ range.

PS. Repeated removal/reinstallation of your seats may cause you to loosen up the front mounting bolts to such a point where they never fully tightened. When I showed the bolts to a friend who runs the local CC machine shop, he commented that the bolt design (slightly oval so it engages the threads only on two sides vs all the way around) seems to be designed so that a factory worker can install them with an impact tool and they will "self thread" if needed. They aren't meant for repeated installation/removal. To fix my issue, I ended up enlarging the hole slightly and rethreading it for a slightly larger bolt (went from the stock M8x1.5 to the slightly larger 5/16-18). Problem solved.
Well for the lack of headache and hassle seems they will suit me . I can take Into consideration everything but the slight tilt issue ... I Don't plan to hard core race or autocross or anything . Just want to preserve the seats and use a set of corbeaus
Great advice btw!
I surely didn't believe something for the tbird like this would even be in manufacturing still
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Well for the lack of headache and hassle seems they will suit me . I can take Into consideration everything but the slight tilt issue ... I Don't plan to hard core race or autocross or anything . Just want to preserve the seats and use a set of corbeaus
Great advice btw!
I surely didn't believe something for the tbird like this would even be in manufacturing still
Corbeau will NOT be a lack of a headache. Be prepared to modify it as mentioned above.

Oh, the final seating position is a good deal LOWER than stock.... by several inches This isn't a big deal for me because a) we don't have a dash anymore and b) racecar.
I do recall that when I first installed the corbeau seat (and we had the drivers side of the dash still in place), you would think to yourself "hrm --- i feel like a granny driving".

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Banned

Sc seats, why not? They are great and look better than after market seats and they offer great stability for cornering hard and comfort for drives..
Woodman likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:03 PM
The Parts Guy

For the reasons mentioned above, I cut down/welded up a pair of MN12 manual seat tracks to mount my Corbeaus to.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 PM

Garage
I know that this is an old thread but I'm at the point of considering how to mount my seats. I've looked at the price of the Corbeau brackets and I'm just not feeling it. Is there any reason why I wouldn't just make my own?

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in