Spring Cleaning Time! - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:07 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Thermite works wonders, and won't piss off the neighbors.

It's a bit rough on the paint, however.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:58 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Taking advantage of the decent weather we've finally been getting, I decided to awake the T-Bird from it's winter slumber.

I have it stored in my driveway under a ShelterLogic garage. I disconnected the battery tender, picked up all dryer sheets and Mint X trash bags I had placed under the hood. Then I go inside to start it. Apparently I had a visitor(s) over the course of the last month after I last checked it. Strong odor, more like urine. Looking for suggestions on proven cleaners and methods to get rid of the odor.

I'm probably going pull the seats and most of the interior out to do it, can't wait to see what I might find. I'm thinking of an ozone generator air purifier, but I might do that after I clean everything up. Open for suggestions, steam clean the rugs and seats, vent cleaners for the A/C.

Funny thing is, the trunk and under the hood are fine. No signs of any visitors, just the interior.

Joe
I detail by trade , I wouldn't suggest ozone unless you like a morbid lingering smell of a pneumonia like smell that lasts along time.

Commercial size Carpet extractor , possibly a foaming spray chemical I used called xtra duty works well .
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:03 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 5.0 View Post
Quote:
Taking advantage of the decent weather we've finally been getting, I decided to awake the T-Bird from it's winter slumber.

I have it stored in my driveway under a ShelterLogic garage. I disconnected the battery tender, picked up all dryer sheets and Mint X trash bags I had placed under the hood. Then I go inside to start it. Apparently I had a visitor(s) over the course of the last month after I last checked it. Strong odor, more like urine. Looking for suggestions on proven cleaners and methods to get rid of the odor.

I'm probably going pull the seats and most of the interior out to do it, can't wait to see what I might find. I'm thinking of an ozone generator air purifier, but I might do that after I clean everything up. Open for suggestions, steam clean the rugs and seats, vent cleaners for the A/C.

Funny thing is, the trunk and under the hood are fine. No signs of any visitors, just the interior.

Joe
I detail by trade , I wouldn't suggest ozone unless you like a morbid lingering smell of a pneumonia like smell that lasts along time.

Commercial size Carpet extractor , possibly a foaming spray chemical I used called xtra duty works well .
Vesco oil products can be ordered online and they make a fabric neutralizer chemical with a mix of cherry or some scent that mixes in with the carpet extractor and steaming water
Make sure it has 100psi of extracting pull
And use fans on all floors while drying it with the cars heater on floor .
But I would definitely extract carpets and seats .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I was going to update this thread, thanks for doing it for me.

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest ozone unless you like a morbid lingering smell of a pneumonia like smell that lasts along time.
You mean ammonia?! Just kidding, had to do it! Ok, this is the first I heard about this, thank you for the info.
Quote:
But I would definitely extract carpets and seats .
Did that right away, they're at a detailer now and I'm picking them up in the morning.

Back to business at hand. Things are pretty much cleaned up and I'm getting ready (I thought I was) to start putting this back together.

Inside of the car is good, but to me there's been a lingering odor. And the only place that I really couldn't get at is the frame rail area where Matt said earlier the sunroof drain tubes run. So I figure while I had time before work to try and check a couple of things out. My shop vac has round attachment that can fit over that hole so I tried to see if I get anything, nothing. Then I try my small air compressor and start blasting air in there, mother of freakin' God! Blew some crap out but what a stench.

Matt or anyone else that might know. Can I get at that frame area somewhere else to clean this thing out. I was thinking under the door sill plate and going that way but wasn't sure, either that or drill holes to access it.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
I was going to update this thread, thanks for doing it for me.

You mean ammonia?! Just kidding, had to do it! Ok, this is the first I heard about this, thank you for the info.

Did that right away, they're at a detailer now and I'm picking them up in the morning.

Back to business at hand. Things are pretty much cleaned up and I'm getting ready (I thought I was) to start putting this back together.

Inside of the car is good, but to me there's been a lingering odor. And the only place that I really couldn't get at is the frame rail area where Matt said earlier the sunroof drain tubes run. So I figure while I had time before work to try and check a couple of things out. My shop vac has round attachment that can fit over that hole so I tried to see if I get anything, nothing. Then I try my small air compressor and start blasting air in there, mother of freakin' God! Blew some crap out but what a stench.

Matt or anyone else that might know. Can I get at that frame area somewhere else to clean this thing out. I was thinking under the door sill plate and going that way but wasn't sure, either that or drill holes to access it.

Joe
The rockers are filled to the brim with foam for the majority of the length, as you’d see through the slots if you pull the sill plates off. Odds are unless the mice chewed it out(in which case give a high five their little carcass!) they probably didn’t move past the rearmost portion of the rockers

-Matt
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
So no other way to get at it, shit! I'll pull the plates off later, but I doubt they chewed it out either.

Joe

post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Garage
Acetone will likely dissolve out the foam; It might be worth a try.

If it works for you, that's my next job.

Spraying a rust inhibitor in after the foam comes out is probably required.

Drill a hole in the bottom, acetone or toluene to wash it out, and backspray rust mort sounds good to me.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:33 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Acetone will likely dissolve out the foam; It might be worth a try.

If it works for you, that's my next job.

Spraying a rust inhibitor in after the foam comes out is probably required.

Drill a hole in the bottom, acetone or toluene to wash it out, and backspray rust mort sounds good to me.
Are you guys on the topic of finding a method on getting rockers cleaned out and rust inhibited? I've been following the thread about a stench in the car ..
I want to attempt this in some way. Is the foam in there like a modern expanding foam ? Or just a really dense foam like upholstery foam.

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 06-06-2019 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote for you! :)
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I'm looking to get them cleaned out and remove the stench.

So I guess if I need to remove foam and use a rust inhibitor afterwards, I guess that's what I need to do.

Under the carpet, there's foam in spots under the front seat area and it looks like the expanding foam. Solid too!

Joe

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
That's the same thing, but denser, and called "Seam Sealer".

Remember _badbird95's weight removal thread?

He used a torch, iirc.

You could just wash everything out with bleach, then rinse it really well.

post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
I thought of that, but wasn't sure if it would drain out properly. Matt mentioned the drain holes are small and I know now there's a lot of "shit" in there to block them.

I'm trying to think if there's something flexible and long enough that I can work in there to clean it out.

Joe

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:12 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
That's the same thing, but denser, and called "Seam Sealer".

Remember _badbird95's weight removal thread?

He used a torch, iirc.

That’s neither seam sealer or the expanding foam, those are the remnants of the tar sound deadener mat on the floors. Foam won’t have paint on it like that, it was applied after paint during assembly.
Grog6 likes this.

-Matt
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:18 AM

Garage
Joe, I've washed out the interior of a car with a hose and then using a shopvac to get the water out; I didn't quite get the lid on a can of paint tight, and it opened when it fell over as I took a corner.

My shopvac has a drain at thebottom and if you pop it loose, turning on the SV will suck it closed, turning it off lets it drain, so I didn't even have to keep getting out of the car to empty it.

Wash, scrub, drain, repeat.

I did have to wash all the paint off the driveway, tho.

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 PM

mice only need a hole about the size of a dime to squeeze through. They will eat adhesives as a supplemental meal during colder months when food sources are more sparse. I work for a large pest control company and living in Memphis TN, I deal with this kind of stuff on a daily basis. Any holes that you can "plug" make sure to use metal and secure with screws not an adhesive. Just cleaning everything out though and putting it back in should do it. I store my vehicle for long periods of time. Next time make sure to thoroughly clean the interior and exterior and remove all leaves, pine needles etc from the cracks and crevices (usually around or under the hood and trunk lid) with a shop vac prior to storing the vehicle. Then every couple of weeks open it up and start it for a few minutes. Rodents hate change and will avoid a changing environment as best they can.

Good Luck. Been there before. Oh and pretty much any disinfectant should get rid of their pheromones they laid down in their urine. They do this for landmarking. They can't see well so they following that nasty scent to find their way to a food source. It's not as tough to get rid of as something like cat urine or pee from an 8 year old boy who can't grasp the idea of peeing off the deck and not just outside the back door. But thats another issue for another day

95 Lx 4.6
coming back to life!
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Thanks Travis!

I did some poking around on it yesterday. I removed the door sill plate so I could figure out the next move. Foam, foam, foam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
they probably didn’t move past the rearmost portion of the rockers
Now I understand what you meant here. Looks like when Ford built it, there's a "pocket" in this area where there's no foam. The driver side is filled right to the hole, but the passenger side is a little bit larger, now wonder these little shits hung out there! I'm buying some small bottle style brushes, so hopefully that area will finally be taken care of.

Finished up working on the seat tracks. Driver side was a piece of cake, passenger side not so much. It was always slow and I think when I bought it the motor may have been going. The forward lift doesn't work at all and after moving it back and forth a couple of times it stopped all together. Motor was getting warm, so I'm not bothering with it. Dug out the old manual track so that's going back in.

Joe

post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:28 PM

Joe,
Instead of foam do you have steel wool? Rodents hate steel wool. They can chew through foam and use it for nests when necessary. Also something that I thought of, How close to your home did you store your car? If its in a garage or carport please check your attic for mice/rat droppings.

95 Lx 4.6
coming back to life!
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
It was always slow and I think when I bought it the motor may have been going.

Joe
You can rebuild a seat motor like a starter; the big deal is always grease turned to glue, and the copper rotor connections get burnt and don't connect.

YOu can usually fix them with sandpaper, by spinning the rotor with a drill, and touching some 220 or 400 grit sandpaper to the copper, then spray it clean with cleaner that won't dissolve lacquer. I always slightly sand the ends of the brushes, if they look burnt. Don't make them shorter, lol.

You can order brushes by size on the web, if the springs are wasted. If it's overheated, the springs on the brushes may have lost their tempering.

I'd say those don't have bearings (probably bronze bushings), but if they do clean them out, and relube.

Relube everything, reassemble, and it's good as new.

post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:16 AM

RIP Bill Paxton...also use that orange "nature" stuff if you've got weird animal smells in your car, I can attest that they remove odors. Snakes work too but they're not available in an aerosol canister.
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Travis,

The foam I was referring to was the factory foam in the rockers. That gives me a thought, try and stuff steel wool in there to keep them out. The car is in the driveway under a ShelterLogic garage away from the house. No problems in the house with them, but I know they've been hanging out in a storage shed in the yard.

Greg,

I was thinking of looking into that sometime in the future. Someone did a rebuild thread a while back, I'll have to go look it.

David,

Are you referring to the orange Simple Green? I'm sure snakes will work, but not ready for that yet! Greg also said to use snakes!

Joe

post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Passengers don’t need power seats

I don’t like the idea of steel wool in there, I feel like it’ll act like a sponge, quickly rust and then rust the surrounding metal.
Rodeo Joe and Grog6 like this.

-Matt
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
... Greg also said to use snakes!

Joe
For the record, snakeshit smells WAY worse than ratshit.
Rodeo Joe likes this.

post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Thanks Matt!

I started second guessing about it for the same reasons and you helped me put that idea to rest. I'd like to get something in there to fill the void in case they come back, no place for them to settle down. Maybe I can find small caps to cover those holes.

Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in