TCCoA Forums banner

Weird rattle from passenger rear interior over bumps. 97 tbird

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Zeromarine 
#1 ·
Got this weird rattle from the interior in the passenger rear of the car over bumps. Only when the right rear tire goes over a bump. It sounds like it’s behind the rear seat or the plastic trim beside the rear seat area. Sounds like a wire rattaling behind there or maybe the seat creaking in the clip? If it’s even a clip I have no idea. Sometimes I don’t hear it but it’s most of the time. Is there anything behind that plastic trim beside the seat that could cause this ? Or the seat back in the mount? But ya it sounds mostly like a wire or something? I went into the trunk and secured any loose wires thinking it was those but it didn’t make any difference. I noticed a wire loom going into the back of the seat into somewhere so who knows. I’m at a loss.
If anyone has any ideas that would be great thanks.

#2 ·
From someone who just took his interior apart and put it back together, :D all the wires are secured with push fasteners attached to the wire loom. One of yours might be unsecured, but I don't think it would cause a rattle.

You might have a bad bushing on the rear sway bar end link, I'd look there.

Joe

Reactions: Grog6
#3 ·
How about the seat belt buckle hitting against the plastic? I have had that before. Have to get creative in finding a good position for it to rest w/o making noise.

Al

#4 ·
I just replaced the sway bar links a couple weeks ago. Seems it’s been there since then actually. so maybe I didn’t tighten them enough? A loose link would transmit like it sounds like it’s from the back seat area. I guess so as all the suspension is right under it.
Not the seatbelt I know that but thanks ! I sat in the back and I could hear it from what sounded like it’s behind the plastic trim right to the right side of the passenger rear seat.
It’s not so much a clunk sound as it’s more of a wire hitting metal sound to me but it’s weird how I drove it for 500 km silent then all of a sudden it came up, of what seems soon after I changed the sway bar links. Not sure? Or just weird coincidence and it’s a loose wire. Just don’t want to pull plastic apart and create more problems or break stuff.
Thanks everyone

#5 ·
Check the upper shock mount. When they are loose, the sound comes from the rear speaker area. If you pull the trunk carpet back, you will see where it bolts to the body. Depending on where you live, this can be a bad area for rust on our cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.