TCCoA Forums banner

Side to side wobble on the highway during left turns?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Grog6 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6. Recently it has started wobbling side to side when I'm turning left on the highway around 70mph. It feels like the rear end is shaking side to side. I let my brother drive it while I followed, so I could watch it. It is not driving straight. The rear end is walking out to the right. I lifted the car and did not see anything obvious, but I don't know where I should look or what to look for. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

-Brian

#2 ·
Check all of your bushings, try moving the wheel in/out side/side while in the air, check the rear subframe bolts, toe compensators, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, etc.

#4 ·
I'd be checking wheel bearings, toe compensators, spindle bushings, and the control-arm-to-frame bushings, in that order.

Subframe bushings also, but they seem to last forever down here in the south.

RwP

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
What I found.

The right wheel bearing is definitely bad. The sub frame bushings look good. The boots on the toe compensators are torn, but I could not feel any play in them. If I push in, on the top of the left tire it has about an inch of movement. It's moving in the area in the picture.
I'm not sure what the part is called. Thanks for the advise. Looks like I have some work to do.

#8 ·
I dunno what it is about right wheel bearings - I've got a rebuilt set of spindles with brand new bearings in them (USA-made Timkens) just sitting to go in Ruby Jean, and ... it turns out I'll have to do that this weekend, the passenger side bearing is dying.

RwP

#9 ·
I replaced the control arm bushings. I pulled the right suspension knuckle. The Haynes manual has no instructions on replacing the wheel bearing. It just says to take it to a dealer or machine shop to have it replaced. Is that what I have to do, or can it be done at home? I have replaced bearings on my atv axle by hammering them out/in with a large socket. Could I use a similar technique for this bearing? Thanks again for all the help.

#10 ·
I am back on the road. I could not hammer the bearing out. I also could not find anyone open on Saturday to press it out for me. So I bought a 20 ton press from craigslist. I pressed the hub out of the bearing, barely. It sounded like a gun shot when it finally broke free. I could not get the bearing out. I tried heating it, penetrating oil, and an air hammer to get it loose, but nothing worked. I returned the new bearing, went to LKQ and got a complete knuckle assembly with hub for $28. Everything feels nice and tight, and much less noise on the highway.

#11 ·
You have to press those apart and back; it took ~18k psi to move the last set. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.