TCCoA Forums banner

Fog lights

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  white lincoln 
#1 ·
I just got a set up Hella fog/driving lights and reading through some of the articles on here, it seems there are various ways to install them.

Is there a general write up on installing these on a 94 Cougar?

I would like the driving lights to come on when the brights are on. These are fog/driving lights so I was thinking of putting in a switch for the Fog light side. Was there ever a fog light switch on the 94 Cougars? If so, where was it? I was thinking it went where the coin holder is next to the ash tray.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Also, do I need to add relays for each lamp? I see that there is a slot in the relay box for a fog light relay, but there is no wiring to it or connectors for the relay to connect to.

Suggestions?

#3 ·
Cougar's didn't have Fog lights after 92 but the 94/5 Tbird SC and 94-00 Mustang GT used these switches that pop right into the coin holder spot.

As for wiring relaying and such, no, you only need one relay for the pair, two since they're dual beam(one relay feeds high, one feeds low).

If you want high beams to trigger the the driving lights, the easiest way would be to splice the high beam wire going to the bulb and run it to the relay coil

#4 ·
I found these two switches on Amazon to fit in the coin slot:

which is $36!

This one is cheaper, but not real nice looking.

I was also looking to put them in idiot lamp plate under the radio.

#6 ·
I got the lamps today. I like them, they are pretty nice. They came with two relays, one for the driving light and one for the fog light. The switch is a dual switch, one way for fog, one way for running light.

I think I will mount them in the same location but will need to be extended out, they are just a little large to fit inside the air slots where Mike has his.

I am going to put the switch in the idiot light plate in the dash, it will fit real nice there. I have an extra idiot light plate to drill holes in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#8 ·
Update

I got the lights installed and they are very nice. They really light up the road in front of me.

1) I used a 3 ft wood ruler and placed it in the front of the center grill and made marks on either side of the upper wall of the left and right lower vents of the bumper cover.

2) I centered and mounted the brace with two metal screws from Ford cars from the junk yard.

3) I mounted the lights and ensured they were equal and straight. I had to redo the left side because it was not centered in the vent or straight with the bumper cover.

4) I ran the wires up to the battery, then tied down all the wires from the lamps to the battery socket. I used the clip nut holes to tie the lines too. I also used a couple of clip nuts and screws to ground the lamp wires to the frame.

5) I took the battery out and tied down the wires that go to the switch in the cabin around the wall of the outside of the frame where the battery bay is.

6) I already had a hole in the firewall where my amp power wire went through so I used that hole to run the lamp wires and lamp power wire through.

7) Running the wires above the pedal assembly and through the center console from the drivers side, I ran the wires through the center console to the shift console.

8) I hooked all the wires together and the lights worked first time!

I still need to make an oval plate to go under the switch, but it fit in the coin socket real well. Using the coin holder, I will cut out a round peice from something like a black CD case and fasion it to full in the open area of the coin socket.

I shoved all the extra wire and relays in the empty space behind the idiot lamp panel.

All in all it was pretty easy to do and the instructions where not hard to follow. I did have to read it a couple times to make sure I understood the wiring diagram, which was not that great but functional for it's means.

To adjust the lamps, I parked the car in front of the garage door at night and adjusted them according to where the headlights shine. The driving/fog lights are below the low beam area. I had the car 25 ft back from the garage door per the instructions.

Wobble from being mounted to the plastic bumper cover? On the passenger side yes, a little. No more than I had on my Mark VII when the fog light tension springs gave out. I will fix that by mounting the bumper cover to the frame better than the factor did.

I did have one problem at first (when testing) with the drivers side lamp. It was real dim compared to the passenger side. I checked the lamp by putting a ground wire from the battery ground to the brace of the lamp. It lit up bright. I then replaced the screw I used for the ground wire of the lamp and that took care of that.

Low beams:

High Beams:

(yes, I need a paint job)

Reactions: canrockwell
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.