TCCoA Forums banner

Frustrating fuel filter issues

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  T6Rocket 
#1 ·
Removing this damn fuel filter is starting to become a very frustrating process for me. I bought the 8 dollar fuel line release kit at oreilly in an attempt to release the front line from the fuel filter, but it seems when I push the release tool up in to the line, the thing still wont pull off. Dont know what it is im missing here.

#2 ·
I haven't worked on a fuel filter in a long time but I thought both ends had the little white clips. Or is it one white clip and a spring lock on the other side?

Anyway, on spring locks, once you push the tool in to release the spring, pull it back out then try to pull the filter off. Sometimes the tool will hold the filter on.

#4 ·
Fuel filter was super easy for me, take the filter out of the bracket and then pull the black and white clips out, I managed to break one but that doesn't matter since most fuel filters will come with the clips. Use the quick-disconnect tool and push it inside the line to release the spring and pull the filter away from the line. Sometimes the spring won't go in from corrosion or whatever so push the tool in further.

#5 ·
If you are using a metal disconnect tool- I have never had good luck with those. I use a set that is plastic that I think I got from Car Quest. They are all white on a black rack. They are a little thinner then the metal tools and a bit plyable, which help message the spring open.

Reactions: mcm51
#8 ·
It helps to have a good fitting tool. IIRC, I got my latest one at Advance, which worked great.

They are all made a little different. A good fitting one will take it right off, but a different brand of the same tool won't touch it. It's a crapshoot. Don't force it, or it will bend the tabs, making all future removals next to impossible, right tool or not.

Al

Reactions: mcm51
#10 ·
It's all in the diameter - if it's a touch too small, it won't expand the clips enough. I have a metal one.

Al

#13 ·
The big issue is usually the o-rings being melted to the fittings.

:)

#14 ·
I think I just yanked too hard and messed up the spring before I realized it required a "tool". I guess I could always cut off the braided section and replace it with rubber high pressure fuel line hose.

Of course add a pair of hose clamp clamps. One to go on the filter and the other where I splice into the line.

#15 ·
I had to make my own tool for my 97 Cougar. I took a Techron fuel additive bottle and used the neck of it, slit it and made it into a wedge with a spot that allowed me to get it in place and slide into the spring lock and release it.

I can't find a picture of it, but I have all manner of spring lock tools and none of them worked. The cage style (not enough room to get it on there), the plastic ones (not strong enough to press in place without deforming), scissor type (not built with close enough tolerances didn't close to a round shape), the aluminum single size each one tool, don't remember why it didn't work.

#17 ·
Are these the ones? 4 Piece Fuel and Auto Trans Line Disconnect Tool Set

These look better made than the ones I have, but I question the 4, but on'y having 3 sizes, and the part that slips in looks too big to fit.

I don't remember what my 97 Mark VIII has (the filter requires the wheel and fender liner to be removed) but it didn't cause me any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.