TCCoA Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

13" Cobra rotors

12K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Flex 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Joe,

Just wanted to see if there is any interest. I need some for my own cars so I asked if they would do a GB and he said yes if there are 10 or more. They are a brake dealer so I would imagine he could do as many as we get.

My apologies to management.

#5 ·
Just check out a place called "brakemotive" on ebay, I have a set of their 13" cobra rotors sitting next to me, they are good quality, but much lower in price. Metal is metal, as long as they lathe them properly and chamfer the slots and drill the holes properly, then you're good.

#6 ·
Ok dudes,

I just got this answer from DRT-Sport;

1 price only.

If you get 10 or more it will be $245.00 shipped include the new bolt pattern.

Woody

This is more than I expected as most sellers are not willing to chop off a third of the price. Anyone interested? We have 7-8 right now with myslef and a few from the SCCOA.

#7 ·
I'm interested in a set

#8 ·
What are the payment arrangements?

I'd only send any payment(s) directly to the seller with an agreed upon discount code indicating that the purchase being made is part of this group purchase.

So what have you arranged with the seller?

#10 ·
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have been out of the city hunting.

Don't worry. I don't want your money or the hassle of arranging for shipping nor would it be practical for them to ship to me then having me pay to ship. The shipping is included in the price so basically if you add yourself to the list, I will present your names to Woody as part of the buy and then you pay them directly. I did the exact same thing with my Optishift tansmission controller buy.

I have looked at a lot of rotors and could not find anything of this quality for the price. The prices shipped are substanially lower than anything offered for the birds.

#9 ·
I need a set for the front of my car also but no bolt patten change.

#17 ·
You'd be better off getting a group buy on Competition Limited headlight harness or if you're serious, an actual HID retrofit setup from theretrofitsource.com.

With running just an HID bulb you will just be scattering the light beam. When I tried out an HID kit I thought it was comparable to my high beams, and I'm sure it would have blinded oncoming traffic like high beams, except I had an odd/bad glare that shot out to the side of the vehicle. This wasn't a quality issue, just the nature of the beast of running HID kits in halogen headlamps. In my small town, I did not want to be "that guy in the TBird that blinds everyone," so I returned them.

Like Rob, just trying to save you some money/time with my personal experience.

If you still insist on getting the HID kit...I found the 6000K kit too blue, 4300K will be closer to the halogen color output and is supposed to be better for the human eye to see in.

#14 ·
Stock Cobra rotors are also not cross drilled and or slotted either. Most of the aftermarket rotors out there are also just above minimum tolerance for thickness and cannot be machined once they are warped or worn which happens pretty quick due to them being so thin. A cheap friend of mine just found that out the hard way buying bargain basement brakes for his 90 ragtop.

I am going to have to say it comes down to the old adage, you get what you pay for. My car will hopefully be putting down 325 ponies with a tune. My brother's should be making 100 more than that when it is together. The last thing I want to do is pray that my brakes are good enough if I have to slam into them in an emergency.

#15 ·
Just wanted to throw this out there for an FYI.

I've bought HUNDREDS of rotors over the years, tried turning different rotors and here is what I've learned.

If you groove the rotors (like letting your pads wear out and still driving it), it can be turned/fixed and will stop smoothly.

If your rotors are warped and you think you can turn it to fix it - it's NEVER worked for me - never stops smoothly.
Warped rotors MUST be replaced IMHO.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
My bird makes 735 whp and it stops just as good on 65 dollar rotors as it does on my Baer 2 piece design ones, that were 400 bucks. All the slotted rotors do is chew your pads off.

I work on cars everyday, I can replace a rotor and get the customer a warranty, they warp they're replaced no questions asked. Also, you want a top notch rotor for the Cobra brake setup? Well the best is Brembo hands down but not many gonna pay that price.

Flex I'm just trying to save u guys some money.

#22 ·
X's 2 on what Robert said. I have stock ones on my mustang and KVR drilled ones on my Tbird and they stop just the same..
Would i like to have cross drilled & slotted on my mustang?.. Sure.. But only to match my rear rotors and for looks.. lol

#18 ·
And if you've got a Gen1, and don't want the HID scattering or to do the full retrofit, there's always the HIR bulbs (9012s replace 9006s, 9011s replace 9005s).

The 94+ TBird (and 96-97 Cougar) guys are out of luck due to the 9007 used. And for 1991-1995 Cougars, you need to upgrade to the Grand Marquis headlights instead of the factory lights.

But I do love my 9012 HIR lowbeams :diablo:

RwP

#20 ·
Two things.

1) The arc of a HID is not at the same place as the 900x filament, so the reflector isn't focused right. Therefore, you get more light "scattered" about and less down the road.

2) A lot of people buy bluer lights than optimal, so the water vapor in the air scatters the light and reflects it back more than optimal. This is often confused with "But it's so much brighter!"

As an example, with my HIR low beams adjusted by spec, I can see mile markers a mile or more away on a clear moonless night when I'm on the road by myself. (I can with others on the road and with the moon, now - but those times, it may not be the headlights!) With the HID high beams, I can ... barely see that same mile marker.

That's because I don't have the projector, so the light is not beamed properly.

Consider taking your current bulb out of the headlamp, and firing it up. How well will it light up down the road just sitting on the fender? Now put it back into the reflector, and how well does it do?

RwP

#29 ·
You will need to at least upgrade to a 93+ spindle set so you can bolt on compatible calipers and a compatible bracket.

For a 1990, without the other changes, no.

RwP

#28 ·
Standard t-bird pattern requires redrill as mentioned above. 13" rotor kits put on our cars require at least a 17" wheel for clearance. You would also need to relocate the caliper farther out to accommodate the larger rotor. 99-04 Cobra calipers are typically the choice when doing 13" rotors.
I do not know if you can use a different mounting bracket and retain the stock calipers tho. Can anyone verify that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.