TCCoA Forums banner

4R70W Connector Pinout Question

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  RalphP 
#1 ·
I've got a 94 LX with the transmission of doom (Read TSB-95-8-3). Basically 3/4 is fried and I've got junk in the pan.

I've done the Super Coupe swap to a 2002 before and it went fine however I reused by old valve body and wire harness and did not re-pin any connectors. I have a thread bookmarked over at SCCOA for the 3.8 SC swap.

Does anyone here have the pinout required to run a 2002-3 4R70W in a 94 LX? I feel like Grog should - and I've read a lot of his posts but I cannot find the precious pinout info I need.

Many thanks in advance.

#2 ·
#5 · (Edited)
The swap is the same as the one you already did, pretty much.

I would buy new solenoids and stuff.

If you replace the 2002 plug and solenoids with the old style that your eec wants, everything internal will work fine.

You can buy the old style plug and wires new from PATC, as well as all new stuff.

If you have one rebuilt, make sure they use the one piece teflon seals on the Direct shaft and Input shaft; that makes a huge difference in longevity.

If you're a detail-oriented neat freak who loves the smell of Mercon V, you can rebuild your own transmission.
:)

If you use a 2003 tranny, look in the hole for a tailshaft gear; if it ain't there, it can't be fixed without taking it ALL the way apart. It's FILO. :)

BTW; this thread is a great 4R70W rebuild thread, they deserve mad props. :)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/4r70w-transmission-rebuild-diary.128800/

#6 ·
Bought a 2002 Grand Marquis transmission with less than 60K on it. Was pulled 3 months ago. Should be fairly fresh I hope. I need to get the car back on the road by Sunday night so unfortunately a rebuild is not in my future at this time. I plan on using all of the 2002 valve body hardware/electronics except for the TCC which needs to be re-used in my new trans based on resistance and PCM compatibility. I plan to do the swap and drive it while Ford gets back to me on re-programming my PCM for the 1995 code that should keep me from burning up any more transmissions in this car.

Thanks again for all the great reference material. At some point I will rebuild a transmission.

#7 ·
2002 was a few years back at this point, but I've gotten about 3 years out of a jy tranny so far. Each, serially, lol.

:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.