End of the road for 96 Cougar - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

End of the road for 96 Cougar

Sadly the time has come for my cougar. I have to suck it up and part it out and junk it. Too much rot, too many required repairs, too much body damage from serious jerks who like to do hit and runs. It's time.

So, I'm trying to gauge interest in the part out for my Alpine Green 96 Cougar.

roughly 135K on it give or take. Engine runs well, typical rusty crusty New England block though so you may not be interested in it. Trans is iffy, if you are seriously interested and are local you can pick it up and pay me a few hours labor to pull it.

Body is pretty well beat, RH door and trunklid are nice, everything else has it's flaws. Cladding trim is junk, hood and fenders have been hit as mentioned, bumpers are both cracked (again people suck) and the trunk carpet is junk.

The grey leather interior is really nice, drivers seat is the worst with only one tear and a few cracks in the leather. Needs to be cleaned but it's all there. It has a hacked to fit '97 console top in it with an LED mounted in a burn hole for cosmetics . Carpet has a hole worn in it where the loud pedal is so that probably isn't somethin to go for. Dash surrounds are driver quality.

I have set of Monroe EZShocks in the front with a few thousand miles on them and a set of gabriel rear shocks new in an open box. If you want the fronts, you'll have to wait until I can pull them at my shop in a few months.

Car has the K&N filter with the brackets and such, filter could use a cleaning but it's in great shape. Tailights and the rear panel all have cracks, not really worth too much to anyone who isn't desperate.

I think that is as honest of a representation for the car I can give, if anyone is interested in anything or wants pictures and a shipping quote let me know and make an offer on the part you want.

Sad to see the car go, but they can't all live forever!

Thanks for your time guys!

My cougar is finally getting some much needed love after my caprice got into a horrible accident

So I made her semi-presentable and am looking forward to getting to know her better through this wonderful forum!

---1996 cougar XR-7 4.6---mods(not much): NGK plugs for tune up, new rear shocks, bondo in the rockers, K&N Cone.
Hopeful mods: Tints, cougar 7 spokes and fold down seat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:04 PM
PostWhore

Garage
How's the exterior upper windshield molding? My 97 is missing one.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 AM
3rd Gear Poster

hood frt mldg ? condition?
thank you!--irv

96 XR7-36000 miles- pretty much mint
4.6--ZU blue, all leather,autolamp.auto temp
r. power seat added .sold in july-14
bought back-dec,14 left w/25000.came
back w/36000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Cougar Pilot

I'm looking for the parts to do an intake swap. Detailed list here:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=117556

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
How's the exterior upper windshield molding? My 97 is missing one.
They don't interchange between Cougars/Tbirds

-Matt
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:45 PM
4th Gear Poster

How are the sunvisors? I need a grey pair for my 96 cougar...
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 01:02 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
They don't interchange between Cougars/Tbirds
I keep forgetting that. Makes no sense to me why they'd put a different outer windshield molding on the car.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
I keep forgetting that. Makes no sense to me why they'd put a different outer windshield molding on the car.
Not to stray off topic but The Cougar originally did share the black/rubber Tbird windshield and forward roof trim from 89-92, with Cougar specific rear roof trim to match. In 93 the Cougar's windshield trim was now shared with the new Lincoln Mark VIII, which surrounds the windshield in two pieces joined at a seam in the center, no longer tied to into the roof moldings, which were now a separate body color seamless pieces spanning across the whole roof.

-Matt
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:59 PM
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.

Garage
Is it power seats? If so, how is the driver motor?

-Kurt
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6L Bone Stock.
Undergoing a light refurbish
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 07:29 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Not to stray off topic but The Cougar originally did share the black/rubber Tbird windshield and forward roof trim from 89-92, with Cougar specific rear roof trim to match. In 93 the Cougar's windshield trim was now shared with the new Lincoln Mark VIII, which surrounds the windshield in two pieces joined at a seam in the center, no longer tied to into the roof moldings, which were now a separate body color seamless pieces spanning across the whole roof.
Which looks quite a bit better in my opinion. Didn't know they where shared with the Mark though. That's interesting. I knew they were different between the birds and the cats. Rayo has a nice post about that. Or at least the bird part numbers.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvin View Post
hood frt mldg ? condition?
thank you!--irv
The chrome strip? It came off a while back, broken tabs on it, sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat94 View Post
I'm looking for the parts to do an intake swap. Detailed list here:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=117556
That's a little involved, will have to wait until I get it to my shop to tear that out. I'll let you know once I really read into that other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
How are the sunvisors? I need a grey pair for my 96 cougar...
Good shape, a little dirty on the drivers side and the fabric on the mirror cover is peeling off. $15 plus shipping and they're yours with all the hardware etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92CougLS View Post
Is it power seats? If so, how is the driver motor?
Goes forward all day long and never in reverse, if it's something you're still interested in just pay shipping but I wouldn't mess with it TBH

My cougar is finally getting some much needed love after my caprice got into a horrible accident

So I made her semi-presentable and am looking forward to getting to know her better through this wonderful forum!

---1996 cougar XR-7 4.6---mods(not much): NGK plugs for tune up, new rear shocks, bondo in the rockers, K&N Cone.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by all2doors View Post

Goes forward all day long and never in reverse, if it's something you're still interested in just pay shipping but I wouldn't mess with it TBH
Thanks, no worries. How's the rear reflector panel?

When you say console top, is that the piece with the cupholders? Or the actual lid on the center console? If it is the cupholder piece, how "hacked" is it? Could you give me a pic to see how it looks?

-Kurt
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6L Bone Stock.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92CougLS View Post
Thanks, no worries. How's the rear reflector panel?

When you say console top, is that the piece with the cupholders? Or the actual lid on the center console? If it is the cupholder piece, how "hacked" is it? Could you give me a pic to see how it looks?
I have two of them, one was "tinted" with that VHT nite-shades stuff, the other has a hole in it (this car was an effing target in parking lots back in college) I'll get you pictures of both.

By console top I do mean the cup holders, It was one of those I didn't buy the heater pipe deals and I notched out the smaller cup holder so it would sit flush. I'll get you some pictures of that stuff this weekend.

Feel free to PM me your email or cell number and I can send the pictures the minute I take them.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:38 AM

Garage
Hey, I PM'd you, let me know what's up.

-Kurt
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6L Bone Stock.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 05:01 PM
4th Gear Poster

I'll have to pass on the sunvisors, mine are in the same shape ... Thanks though

Is the plastic underpan on the front bumper okay? It is the part that covers the radiator and such and is attached by a few plastic push-in like fasteners. I'm missing that on my tbird. IDK if its too big to ship or not, probably like 1'X4'. Doesn't weigh much though.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
I'll have to pass on the sunvisors, mine are in the same shape ... Thanks though

Is the plastic underpan on the front bumper okay? It is the part that covers the radiator and such and is attached by a few plastic push-in like fasteners. I'm missing that on my tbird. IDK if its too big to ship or not, probably like 1'X4'. Doesn't weigh much though.

Kenz,

Do you mean the one that is typically removed to change the oil filter? If so, funny story, I took it off to do my first LOF years and years ago, left it off put it back on one day and that night it came off at speed on the highway. So if that IS the one you want, unfortunately I have nothing to offer!

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:30 PM
4th Gear Poster

Thanks anyway!
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:35 AM
4th Gear Poster

let me know if you still have the gauges I will like to have it. I kind of broke my needle while trying to replace my gear in side of the odometer.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 09:08 PM

Garage
How about a 4.6 engine wiring harness? the one that goes to the injectors?
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 09:53 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Got any photos of the interior? Are they the cougar specefic seats with the emblem, or the plain grey leather?
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to digitalgreasemonkey Send a message via Skype™ to digitalgreasemonkey
thermostat housing bolts please! *i broke one of mine* and will probably do it again.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to digitalgreasemonkey Send a message via Skype™ to digitalgreasemonkey
oh. And i would like to buy those little ><>] bolt things that hold the inner upper control arm bolts in. Lost one into the dark reaches of the inner frame.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalgreasemonkey View Post
oh. And i would like to buy those little ><>] bolt things that hold the inner upper control arm bolts in. Lost one into the dark reaches of the inner frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalgreasemonkey View Post
thermostat housing bolts please! *i broke one of mine* and will probably do it again.
Sorry, I couldn't take apart the suspension. Had to bring it to the yard somewhat rolling. If I don't sell the intake this weekend I'll PM you for an address and send you the bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg1988 View Post
Got any photos of the interior? Are they the cougar specefic seats with the emblem, or the plain grey leather?
They're just plain gray leather. Drivers seat is rough, power seat inop. Rear and passenger seats are much nicer! If you're interested in the probably astronomical shipping costs I will get pictures for you and PM/email/text them to you.

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Poster

Is the shift knob and button somewhat intact? The black button that you push to shift from park decided to break and fly out of my car. But I will buy the whole thing if necessary.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93mark8rules View Post
Is the shift knob and button somewhat intact? The black button that you push to shift from park decided to break and fly out of my car. But I will buy the whole thing if necessary.

Yup, still intact. I can send you pictures of it tomorrow if you PM me your personal email or cell number, whichever you prefer. Pics will be later in the evening however.

LMK

post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Just wanted to add a few things...

The car has been sent to the crusher but I still have tons of parts. Misc lights that weren't cracked, full interior sans carpet dash and airbags, side glass and door windows, two year old intake manifold, radiator, alternator, coil packs (one OEM one aftermarket replacement)

I have a used but in very nice shape trailer hitch for Tbirds/cougars and the 1996 FSM for those who may want to fix their own stuff!

post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Any chance you have the trunk lock assembly and the trunk button/lock from the console (with a key)?

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco1385 View Post
Any chance you have the trunk lock assembly and the trunk button/lock from the console (with a key)?

yes actually I do. I also have the glove box door but I can't remember which key that is.

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Can you get me a shipped price for those? I don't want the whole glove box door, but I'd like the lock if it matches the trunk.

Let me know. Thanks.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Poster

i never got a pm. so i am assuming you were not able to get those little suspension clips for the upper control arms, or the radiator housing bolts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in