Car Audio for TCCoA Member Only - Image Dynamics - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Car Audio for TCCoA Member Only - Image Dynamics

I posted this in the audio section but thought it would be well suited here too.

*Moderators, please know that I'm not a vendor...merely a LONG TIME TCCoA member (dating back to the BirdCat days) that would like to pass on a deal to our community as this forum has helped me tremendously over the years. This is my way of giving back and showing my gratitude…while offering awesome sound gear to our members.

My employer (SoundEthics.com) recently allowed me to pick up the Image Dynamics line of car audio equipment. We are now an authorized internet dealer for Image Dynamics. If you aren't familiar with Image Dynamics, the equipment (subwoofers, speakers and amps) that they produce is absolutely top-notch and have exceptional sound quality with no sacrifice on output. This is not your typical bass-head car stereo stuff…but is capable of extreme SPL if that’s what you desire. This is serious gear, aimed at the audiophile and those who enjoy their music the way it should sound. I’ve been running a pair of IDQ12 subs for several years and they are amazing! Very articulate with all types of music, they play very deep and they pound when I ask them to.

Anyway, I've gotten approval from the higher-ups to offer a very generous discount to fellow TCCoA members! For example: 25% off all Image Dynamics Subwoofers, exclusively for TCCoA Forum members. You can use the “Make an Offer” button and in the notes field, enter “TCCoA” – please also send me a PM if you are interested (and please don't share this information anywhere else on the web) so I can verify that you are actually a member. If your “offer” isn’t within our margin tolerance, I will personally counter-offer with our rock-bottom price (as long as I see “TCCoA” in the notes field). You can bypass the whole offer button thing by calling me directly. 800-541-2478

I'd like to add that I recently installed a pair of IDMAX 12 D2 v4 subwoofers in my Jaguar XKR (my newest toy) and the results are nothing short of amazing. The bass is very articulate, tight and detailed without missing a note or beat. I've heard MANY subs in my 15+ years in the audio industry (audio went from hobby to habit about 10 year ago) and these are at the very top of the list, regardless of price. These are louder and play deeper than my IDQs in the Tbird and I would put them against subs that cost 2-3x the amount (cough JL W7 cough). Sure I've heard louder, but very rare to find bass with such hi fidelity and such extreme output. My favorite sub for years has been the JL W6v2 and this IDMAX may have just stolen the number one position. That particalar install is a rear seat delete, with a temporary sealed enclosure. I’ll be trying ported next spring before I build the final enclosure.

I also heard the top of the line IDMAX 15 v4 in a Mercedes CLK430 (infinite baffle install) and it had similar sound characteristic of the IDMAX 12 with a higher level of output and notably more authority on the lowest of low frequencies. I’m considering a pair of IDMAX15 in my 97 MN12. Very tight, fast and accurate...not boomy at all, like some think a 15" subwoofer would sound. There is something special about this driver! The mercedes also has Image Dynamics XS65 speakers installed in the front doors (can't remember his amp but it was also ID) and in my opinion they sound better than my Boston Acoustics Pro60SE component set...smoother but still crisp and detailed (and loud).

97 Black LX (current project) SVO Supercharger, 4.10s, Dirtyd0g TC, 2.5" duals, Eibachs etc...

*Retired*
97 Pearl White LX - AED, 3.73, 80mm MAF, 70mm TB, 300HP JMod, Marauder TC, Tranny Cooler, Dual 2.5" w/ HF cats, GT intake, MKVIII driveshaft, Tokico HP suspension, 89 SC sway bars.

97 Limited Edition - 00 PI swap, 3.73's, Mark VIII TC, Steeda U/D pulleys, FRPP 9mm plug wires, 02 MAF, 02 Intake tube, J-mod, 2.5" true duals w/ hi flow cats, H-pipe, CAI w/ 9" k&n cone filter, Jerry Tune

96 Thunderbird LX

94 Cougar XR7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I was running an IDMAX 12 in my Bird before the engine gave up. Running off of about 1.2k rms it was very accurate. I have a second IDMAX 12 that has a bad coil. Would this apply to a recone kit?

FWIW, I was considering running the pair in my Bird but I didn't want to give up all of my trunk. The one is in a 2 cube box @ ~30hz off of an MTX 1501D. These are top quality subs for sure.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Absolutely! I can order a recone kit for you. PM me if interested.

Regarding the space issue by running a pair. If you've never heard an infinite baffle install, I highly suggest it. Every bit as accurate and loud as sealed while retaining 90% of your truck space...and far less power requirements to reach desired output levels.

97 Black LX (current project) SVO Supercharger, 4.10s, Dirtyd0g TC, 2.5" duals, Eibachs etc...

*Retired*
97 Pearl White LX - AED, 3.73, 80mm MAF, 70mm TB, 300HP JMod, Marauder TC, Tranny Cooler, Dual 2.5" w/ HF cats, GT intake, MKVIII driveshaft, Tokico HP suspension, 89 SC sway bars.

97 Limited Edition - 00 PI swap, 3.73's, Mark VIII TC, Steeda U/D pulleys, FRPP 9mm plug wires, 02 MAF, 02 Intake tube, J-mod, 2.5" true duals w/ hi flow cats, H-pipe, CAI w/ 9" k&n cone filter, Jerry Tune

96 Thunderbird LX

94 Cougar XR7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Another member will soon have a pair of IDQ 12s!

*Retired*

96 Thunderbird LX

94 Cougar XR7
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
Absolutely! I can order a recone kit for you. PM me if interested.

Regarding the space issue by running a pair. If you've never heard an infinite baffle install, I highly suggest it. Every bit as accurate and loud as sealed while retaining 90% of your truck space...and far less power requirements to reach desired output levels.

A true infinite baffle has the downside of reduced mechanical power handling due to the lack of added stiffness from the [lack of] enclosure. If using multiple woofers on a baffle, then it likely isn't infinite baffle, for the condition: Vb >> Vas must be satisfied. So if it can get just as loud as a sealed enclosure, it's just a low-Qtc enclosure, not true infinite baffle. There is no free lunch.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
A true infinite baffle has the downside of reduced mechanical power handling
Sure, power "handling" is decreased but power requirements are also decreased to reach xmax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
it's just a low-Qtc enclosure
Sure, the trunk acts like a large (Low Q) leaky enclosure...but as you know, that's what most in the car audio community consider IB.

Technicalities aside, after listing to an IDMAX 15 IB (in a Mercedes CLK430), my next sub install in the new bird will definitely be an IB setup (also an IDMAX15...maybe even a pair). This is coming from someone who has used sealed for 15 years. I've tried low-tuned ported a few times too...but always went back to sealed...with the exception of my wife's car, which I built a 4th order with a rear deck blow through and it sounds great.

*Retired*

96 Thunderbird LX

94 Cougar XR7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in