• 1 Post By V8ThunderCat
  • 1 Post By MerkCougar
  • 1 Post By V8ThunderCat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
97 Thunderbird Spoiler with working LED Third Brake Light

I've got a very nice LX wing from my 1997 Thunderbird. It is red, paint is good, marks in the pictures are wax where it's hard to get off while attached to the car. All mounting bolts are in excellent shape, all factory nuts included, third brake light works fine, spoiler is not sagging or cracked. Asking $50 + shipping. Had someone in California interested and shipping to there worked out to be $19, but he dropped off the face of the earth so it's back on the market. So figure about $70 all told. I can get a shipping quote from UPS very easily.

(Emeril not included, sorry)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 02:28 AM
4th Gear Poster

Im EXTREMELY interested... However I think I just noticed thunderbirds are laser red only, thus not able to match my dark toreador red correct?
Old 03-03-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerkCougar View Post
Im EXTREMELY interested... However I think I just noticed thunderbirds are laser red only, thus not able to match my dark toreador red correct?
I'm very sorry, apparently I didn't subscribe to my own thread!

I will find out what my paint color is and let you know. For the cost of the wing, it wouldn't be too hard to get it resprayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
I am paint code E9, which is Laser Red.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 PM
4th Gear Poster

Haha I was wondering if maybe I said something annoying or stupid. Or that maybe it bothered you because I asked about the paint and then answered my question so I'd maybe I'm paranoid ha. I'm going to check my paint code right now and see what it is. I wonder how much it would cost to paint int
Old 03-10-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Haha I was wondering if maybe I said something annoying or stupid. Or that maybe it bothered you because I asked about the paint and then answered my question so I'd maybe I'm paranoid ha. I'm going to check my paint code right now and see what it is. I wonder how much it would cost to paint int
I don't seem to be getting notifications for this thread for some reason.
If the paint code works for you, or it's not too bad to get painted, it's yours. Feel free to message me, I get notices for those at least!
Old 03-12-2016, 08:57 PM
4th Gear Poster

Where would I tap into a power source to install this though? I'm pretty sure the paint codes aren't even close.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Where would I tap into a power source to install this though? I'm pretty sure the paint codes aren't even close.
Mine has a cable for the brake light, plugs into the harness for the third brake light, should be able to pull it from the rear package tray, maybe extend the lines. Not sure if the plug in is the same, but should be easy to adapt, pretty much just power and ground, triggered with the brake lights.

Here's some pictures I just took. There's a cable that is snaked through the trunk lid, runs out the driver side corner and down into the passenger cabin. You could see if your car is pre-wired for it, the termination is right in the middle of the trunk lid on the back side where the license plate goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160312_211723.jpg (2.84 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160312_211705.jpg (3.50 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160312_211634.jpg (2.38 MB, 4 views)
Old 03-12-2016, 11:33 PM
4th Gear Poster

My understanding is that if there's that green and black cable come from the said area on the car I should have that clip to the harness by the light aswell.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Woodman likes this.

Gotta love me a Cougar,... Cars and women alike.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
My understanding is that if there's that green and black cable come from the said area on the car I should have that clip to the harness by the light aswell.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That's my assumption too. Easier to wire them all the same than to wire them differently for a simple little add on like a spoiler.
MerkCougar likes this.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:06 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
That's my assumption too. Easier to wire them all the same than to wire them differently for a simple little add on like a spoiler.
I only got that assumption from the pictures you just too I didn't know it beforehand ha. I appreciate the time you took for that. Is you bird your daily?
Woodman likes this.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
I only got that assumption from the pictures you just too I didn't know it beforehand ha. I appreciate the time you took for that. Is you bird your daily?
If there's no snow on the ground, I'm driving it. I have a work supplied van I drive to and from work (except on Fridays/really pretty days where I don't have to drive to many clients) but yes, she's my daily. I'm looking at a 2002-2005 Explorer for a winter beater.

My bird is Traveler's old bird (he's a member here) and he did most of the good stuff to it (PI Swap, Mark VIII TC, Rear pumpkin/Aluminum rear lower control arms, 3.73:1 trac lok, front and rear shocktower connectors, Mustang GT PBR Swap, 1.5" Eibach drop springs, KYB GR-2, 89 SC Front and rear sway bars, 93 Mark VIII one piece aluminum driveshaft) and I just have done a few things to make it "mine" such as removing the wing (will be filling the holes when I'm ready to dip the car), putting 18x9 5x108 wheels on it, soon to come Cobra front and rear brake upgrade, and fixed a few little issues with his accessory gauges (the mechanical ones were leaking, so I installed electrical ones), better Sony stereo with bluetooth and front/rear USB, Sony 4 way 5x7 speakers all around, and a 12" MB Quart dual voice sub in a box in the trunk with a 100W amp (not much, but enough for my needs).

I have her up on stands right now until I can get the rear upper control arm bushings pushed out and new ones pushed in, hopefully this week that will be done. Here she is as of yesterday...

And this is her when she's not getting worked on.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:48 AM
4th Gear Poster

Ay it runs well is all that matters. Did you put v8 badging on the front quarter panels
Woodman likes this.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Ay it runs well is all that matters. Did you put v8 badging on the front quarter panels
No, Traveler put those on, they're 96-98 Mustang GT badges. I like them, but not 100% sure I'm going to keep them when I dip the car.

Current plan is to mask off and repaint the LE stripe silver, fix the chips and such, clear coat it, let it dry, then mask it off and spray four coats of flat black plastidip, followed by two coats of glossy clear plastidip with black pearls mixed in, followed by another two coats of glossy clear. I'm hoping that it'll be deep enough to swim in, and if I don't like it, I'm only out a few hundred bucks, and can pay someone to repaint it professionally. I've had good luck with plastidip on my former Mustang though, so I'm hoping it looks good, and it will be more resilient than paint. I am going to prep the car first, get some of the hail dings smoothed out, but she should look nice when it's done, and the silver LE stripe will offset it nicely.

Here's a before and after of some wheels I did for my Mustang with plastidip just out of the spray can. I ground them down with a wire wheel and some fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the corrosion.

Before:

After:
Old 03-14-2016, 09:05 PM
PostWhore

Very nice look to those rims!

If you still have the spoiler whenever I get my pell grant refund I'll buy it and try painting it green or black. I am adding red to the car but probably not on the trunk but I could always change my mind. Either way I want a spoiler with working L.E.D.s. I've always wondered if the trunk of a Cougar messes up the angle of the spoiler but I'm assuming in the end they are all identical.
Woodman likes this.

-Randy-
Old 03-14-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
Very nice look to those rims!

If you still have the spoiler whenever I get my pell grant refund I'll buy it and try painting it green or black. I am adding red to the car but probably not on the trunk but I could always change my mind. Either way I want a spoiler with working L.E.D.s. I've always wondered if the trunk of a Cougar messes up the angle of the spoiler but I'm assuming in the end they are all identical.
If it's still here, it's yours.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:57 AM
4th Gear Poster

Hey that plastidip looks real nice. What I've learn from my field and when prepping metal for a desired or required finish is that 90 percent give or take a few, all comes down to the prep work and how nice you have the surface in order to adhere and bond with whatever material look your going for. I actually know a guy with I believe it is a 350z who high lighter green plastidipped his car and it only cost him 600 and time. I have to say it came out nice that's for sure. Ima see if I can get a photo. Cause the way I know him is more so like second hand. You know friend of a friend...you did a fine job on those rims I must mention again.

Me personally I would love to do something with the body mould strip I have all around my cougar, it is the one thing I hate about this vehicle otherwise, I love her like fat kids like diet coke.
Woodman likes this.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Hey that plastidip looks real nice. What I've learn from my field and when prepping metal for a desired or required finish is that 90 percent give or take a few, all comes down to the prep work and how nice you have the surface in order to adhere and bond with whatever material look your going for. I actually know a guy with I believe it is a 350z who high lighter green plastidipped his car and it only cost him 600 and time. I have to say it came out nice that's for sure. Ima see if I can get a photo. Cause the way I know him is more so like second hand. You know friend of a friend...you did a fine job on those rims I must mention again.

Me personally I would love to do something with the body mould strip I have all around my cougar, it is the one thing I hate about this vehicle otherwise, I love her like fat kids like diet coke.
Mine has that huge 96/97 body side molding that is attached with bolts. I toyed with getting it removed, filling in the holes, but I like the LE stripe mine has now, so when I dip it, I'll repaint the LE stripe with the same silver color, then mask it off and dip the rest so I can peel that masking off and keep the silver stripe as an accent.
MerkCougar likes this.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:47 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Mine has that huge 96/97 body side molding that is attached with bolts. I toyed with getting it removed, filling in the holes, but I like the LE stripe mine has now, so when I dip it, I'll repaint the LE stripe with the same silver color, then mask it off and dip the rest so I can peel that masking off and keep the silver stripe as an accent.
Ayyy how bout I send you mind so you can help a brohan out?
Woodman likes this.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Help me by the dip your car kit and I'll do it up right for you.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:02 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Help me by the dip your car kit and I'll do it up right for you.
I really am just interested in getting the wanna be silver/chrome stripping you see above this bumper damage plastidipped. Just because I haven't seen one restoration of it that didn't end up looking as bad as it was before. And I figured I can't go wrong with the plasti. Sorry to jack your thread. Just think of it as free bumps! I would definitely pay for your efforts along with materials.
Woodman likes this.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
I really am just interested in getting the wanna be silver/chrome stripping you see above this bumper damage plastidipped. Just because I haven't seen one restoration of it that didn't end up looking as bad as it was before. And I figured I can't go wrong with the plasti. Sorry to jack your thread. Just think of it as free bumps! I would definitely pay for your efforts along with materials.
It's really not hard, and you can peel it off if you screw it up.
Check out www.dipyourcar.com, lots of videos on how to do it, different finish options, etc.

If I weren't all the way across the country, I'd be all over doing it with you. I plan on doing my entire car once I can afford it. My brakes are postponed now because of getting some cherry SC Seats, so my Cobra brakes are my next upgrade, followed by fixing the AC, then I'll have to get a hood, then the plastidip.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:07 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
This got me thinking about how Mythbuster's Adam Savage showed us how good chrome tape (air duct tape) can look. Might be worth a shot. Another thing that can easily be peeled off. I had once used it to cover the faded paint on the door next to the window and it looked good for a long time. Then again this car had more chrome than what my current one has.
Woodman likes this.

-Randy-
Old 03-21-2016, 02:36 AM
4th Gear Poster

Dip de plasti

Quote:
It's really not hard, and you can peel it off if you screw it up.
Check out www.dipyourcar.com, lots of videos on how to do it, different finish options, etc.

If I weren't all the way across the country, I'd be all over doing it with you. I plan on doing my entire car once I can afford it. My brakes are postponed now because of getting some cherry SC Seats, so my Cobra brakes are my next upgrade, followed by fixing the AC, then I'll have to get a hood, then the plastidip.
Tell me about it.!?!? I would kill to have someone in AZ to talk to and teach or learn from each other about our MN12S.when I was a newbier new I was so excited about the AZ chapter sadly my excitement fizzled away faster than it was created.
However at least there's the Internet. I'd like some cobra brakes. Me currently on scarlette I am sprucing up the interior making it 2 tone with burgundy and my tan. It looks awesome in my opinion will get photos as soon as she's done with her face lift. After that I gots me some billy shocks AKA bilstein and tomorrow will be new front sway link end bars along with polyurethane sway bar bushings front and rear.

You think the chrome tape would work? I just don't wanna look like one of the vatos in my neighborhood that tape their grilles and antennas with that shit to complement their shitty car equipped with rims that cost more than the car itself.
I was thinking about putting chrome strip moulding from eBay right on top of it?
Woodman likes this.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
I'm not going to do the tape, and any tape you put on the Plastidip will only adhere to the dip, so if it moves, it'll tear the dip.

My plan is to mask off around where my LE stripes are, prep them, and paint them with a fresh coat of silver, followed by some clear. Once that dries, I'll unmask the moldings and mask over the paint, then dip over everything, and once I'm done with the dip, pull away the masking and have a nice, sharp cut between the black and the sliver.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Sale pending

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:56 AM
PostWhore

Thank You, Woodman!
Woodman likes this.

-Randy-
Old 05-07-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
Thank You, Woodman!
Thank you!

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in