Goodbye Kermit the 1995 Ford - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Goodbye Kermit the 1995 Ford

I've never parted out a car. So, just to make sure I'm not leaving anything behind worth while; so far I've removed:

Alternator
MAF sensor
Newer serpentine belt
New idler pulley
Under hood, door, trunk, rubber seals
Instrument cluster w/new odometer
In dash air vents
Shift lever cover
Front/rear bumper covers, and front header panel, and all front and rear light assemblies, (except for right trunk light).
Tires and wheels, of course.
Mandrel bent exhaust system, and O2 sensors
Body side molding
Third brake light assembly

Question: Would it be ridiculous to remove the rear foam cushion between the bumper, and the cover? I don't want to send anything to the crusher that's needed.

I'm not trying to sell parts, but if someone needs something mentioned above, I'm here to help.

And, I don't know if there is any value in the 4.6 engine, or the transmission. I kind of doubt it, though.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Probably a long shot but what rear diff is in the car. Is it trac lock? Also how much for the exhaust setup?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird0718 View Post
Probably a long shot but what rear diff is in the car. Is it trac lock? Also how much for the exhaust setup?
Rear diff is 3.27, no trac lock.

As for the exhaust, it consists of:
2 new high flow CATs running into a Magnaflow X-pipe resonator, w/2, 21/4" aluminized pipes into 2 Magnaflow performance style knock off mufflers.

It would probably cost more to ship than it's worth. The Trubendz cost me $180, add another $400 or so for the catalytic converters, the X-pipe, and the mufflers. So based on the above info, what's your opinion? The system has approx. 5,000 miles on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 03:10 PM
5th Gear Poster

I'm curious about the seals condition. Do you think they are reusable? Lots of glue on them?

Tan seats? interior?

I'm not sure if you are going to be selling or are just having fun taking the car apart.

I'm also not clear about what crosses over for my 1992 like the alternator, I just had issues with mine and was thinking about a junkyard spare.

I recently posted looking for an Addco rear sway bar 1-1/4".

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I was primarily interested in the diff if it was limited slip so I’ll pass on that. I wouldn’t need the cats for the exhaust but I feel you may be right about it costing a lot to ship.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
I'm curious about the seals condition. Do you think they are reusable? Lots of glue on them?

Tan seats? interior?

I'm not sure if you are going to be selling or are just having fun taking the car apart.

I'm also not clear about what crosses over for my 1992 like the alternator, I just had issues with mine and was thinking about a junkyard spare.

I recently posted looking for an Addco rear sway bar 1-1/4".
Thanks for asking, Gordon. The seals are in very good condition. I have only the passenger side, trunk, passenger rear window, and under the hood seal

The seats are tan. The driver side is crunched to half its size, as the car was T-boned there.

I'm going to hang on to the alternator, and MAF sensor, though. I may remove the IAC valve since it came to mind recently, but I'm open to offers.

I failed to mention I've also save the auto climate control switches, including the surround, the cubby insert, and the low fuel, coolant, windshield washer fluid, indicator lamp module.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
After TCCOA/SCCOA, Craigslist is your friend. Then for some bits you have no idea if you can sell or not (the long tail of crap that doesn't sell within 2 months on the first three above, Ive found eBay to be worth it. It's all about how long you want to chase the last few bucks. Most of the hot bits I was able to unload in 3 months (80% of what's sellable) and then it would take 1-2 years to get rid of the rest of the crap.

1) Lots of the suspension bits can be shipped (like the front spindles). Ditto with wheels/tires. This may make scrapping the chassis problematic but it can still be done.
2) The engine/trans might not be worth shipping but can be sold locally. Someone will have a project that wants this stuff esp if you work a package deal (and take the time to pull the dash engine harness + ECU harness.
3) Even if the TL unit can be sold w/ shipping cost effectively, you may find a buyer for the whole pumpkin + axles locally. A tbird IRS setup is popular to swap into other project vehicles (ex: V8 Miata or IRS cobra kit).
4) Try selling things like the exhaust locally before shipping; I was able to sell off a 1 pc exhaust system (15' long) that was in no way shippable for $80-120 (something like that).
5) Try selling the fenders & hood locally, as well.

For big stuff like the interior bits, I've found buyers for stuff using Greyhound Terminal-to-Terminal shipping if your stuff is in good enough condition to merit shipping AND you found zero buyers locall. You might be paying $80 to busshipper.com and only netting $20-30 bucks for yourself but in the end, I looked at this as a way to get $20-30 bucks I wasn't making before.

FWIW, I found the modules to be the hardest to sell (outside of the ECU). They simply didn't fail enough to generate a consistent demand. Also, the blower motor assembly was hard to unload as well. The interior plastic bits were often the first to go if they were in good condition (driver side seat panel and gauge surround being #1 and #2). For an early tbird, the automatic seatbelt motors + interior rubber track was also popular if they were undamaged. I was also never really able to sell the window glass(both the rear ones as well as the side windows and the sunroof glass). That's typically a local only sale and most people who have busted windows go to a shop vs CL.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Last edited by S4gunn; 06-04-2018 at 12:33 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:56 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
The empty cast iron engine block is still useful for the "Old lady test".

If you catch someone fucking the old lady, you see if they can walk out of the river carrying an engine block.

Seems fair.

(Just joking, for anyone wondering)

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Eulogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird Bob View Post
I've never parted out a car. So, just to make sure I'm not leaving anything behind worth while; so far I've removed:

Alternator
MAF sensor
Newer serpentine belt
New idler pulley
Under hood, door, trunk, rubber seals
Instrument cluster w/new odometer
In dash air vents
Shift lever cover
Front/rear bumper covers, and front header panel, and all front and rear light assemblies, (except for right trunk light).
Tires and wheels, of course.
Mandrel bent exhaust system, and O2 sensors
Body side molding
Third brake light assembly

Question: Would it be ridiculous to remove the rear foam cushion between the bumper, and the cover? I don't want to send anything to the crusher that's needed.

I'm not trying to sell parts, but if someone needs something mentioned above, I'm here to help.

And, I don't know if there is any value in the 4.6 engine, or the transmission. I kind of doubt it, though.
Final report, and history.

1995 LX purchased in 2006 w/180,000K $2300
Invested $3000 or more in repairs, exhaust, stupid K&N cone filter, tires, and maintenance.

Parted out for personal use: Newer alternator, newer MAF sensor, dual exhaust, Cooper tires w/5000K

Today, Kermit went to his final resting place. Wrecker came, hauled him to local scrap yard, $85.00 fee. Scrap value @ $180 ton. I received $114.80.

It's all good. I'm very happy with my '97 bird. Just thankful I don't live in a hot climate, because my entire AC system needs replacing.

Thanks for watching, and contributing thoughts. I've learned a lot here.
I'm especially glad to have saved the front bumper cover which is proudly on display in the rafter over my tractor. Keeping it helps ease the pain of losing a faithful friend who served me well for 100,000 miles.

Last edited by Tbird Bob; 06-07-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: After thoughts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in