• 1 Post By dDUBb
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By rhino
  • 1 Post By dDUBb
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Used Griffin Radiator, IRS cover, 408w Motor, Mark VIII Fan

Came to the point of parting out my bird finally. These are listed on ebay: griffin radiator, mark viii fan, differential cover brace, and the 408w motor. Good quality used parts with a hefty discount

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283523055608 radiator
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283523057263 fan
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283523058506 IRS differential cover
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283519938276 the motor, won't ship, don't ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
How many miles on the engine? Did the shorty headers fit well? Did you ever try long tubes?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Less than 100 miles on the engine. Got the project done, had a tree fall on the car during a storm and crush the roof and passenger door. Slowly worked to fix things and realized that I have spent enough money on this project, so time to cut bait. The shorty headers require moving the steering shaft. I think 392 bird had the article here that I copied. The cross member had to be notched for the oil pan and I had to put about 1/4" of washers between the cross member and the body to get the motor to fit. However, it did fit under the stock hood which made it an amazing amazing sleeper. If you find yourself serious about the motor, and plan to put it in a T bird, I still have the car here and could pull the steering shaft mod parts off for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-05-2019, 08:46 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
I thought I got a killer deal winning the radiator for $42.00. I not thinking that any more. Both side tanks are pushed in pretty hard and the top mounting posts seemed to have been cut off...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F57741B4-E94C-4CD7-8A93-838B9E39B6F4.jpeg (1.48 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg B0ACB510-2D2F-4F4D-AC17-9749B2F1BC9D.jpeg (1.56 MB, 4 views)

1995 T-Bird.
PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Stage 2 MHS cams. Kooks Headers. 4,200 ATF Speed converter. BCA Transmission. 4:10s. Tune by Supercoupes Unlimited. 245 RWHP.
3,700 lbs at half tank. Goal- 3,400 lbs
Best of 13.85 at 96 mph. Goal- 11's NA

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine- R.I.P.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
I thought I got a killer deal winning the radiator for $42.00. I not thinking that any more. Both side tanks are pushed in pretty hard and the top mounting posts seemed to have been cut off...
Yeah .. it almost looks like the original Ebay listing pictures were intentionally angled to not show the cut off mounts ( for a custom application of course ) .. well, aside from that it was still a $500 radiator originally. IDK seems like you got what you paid for ?
Trunk Monkey likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dDUBb View Post
Yeah .. it almost looks like the original Ebay listing pictures were intentionally angled to not show the cut off mounts ( for a custom application of course ) .. well, aside from that it was still a $500 radiator originally. IDK seems like you got what you paid for ?
+1 a dented side tank won’t hurt anything and mounts can be easily improvised. You paid $60 shipped for a 3 row all aluminum radiator, considering a new stock radiator costs $83+ shipping I’d still say it’s a killer deal.
Trunk Monkey likes this.

-Matt
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Kind of slapped together

Take that $60, take it to a radiator shop to get it fixed ... even at $100 more, you're at $160, and not a bad price at all for a 3 tube all aluminum radiator!

(I've got an all aluminum coming, albeit not a Griffin, for Ruby Jean as I'm rebuilding her.)

RwP

Fuelly
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I hope you ordered a FLUIDYNE Ralph. I couldn’t be happier with mine. They still have the core that I provided to them to use as as a template.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-06-2019, 08:24 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
Had he stated or shown that the mounts were cut off, that would be a different story. The only status description that was here or on eBay was “used” and “good quality used”. Dented tanks- fine- that’s used (but real pictures would have been nice). But to omit that 2 of the 4 mounting brackets are cut off? That seems scummy. Am I wrong here?

And I would have happily paid quite a bit more, but there were no other bidders. But if I would have know that it had missing mounts, regardless if they could be “easily improvised” by some people, I probably would have passed on the sale.

1995 T-Bird.
PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Stage 2 MHS cams. Kooks Headers. 4,200 ATF Speed converter. BCA Transmission. 4:10s. Tune by Supercoupes Unlimited. 245 RWHP.
3,700 lbs at half tank. Goal- 3,400 lbs
Best of 13.85 at 96 mph. Goal- 11's NA

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine- R.I.P.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-07-2019, 07:15 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, it's scummy. But hey, its the internet. Cavet Emptor.

As Matt said, you still got a good radiator for a good price. You want new, buy new. You have questions or concerns, ask before you buy.

Rhino. Shame on you.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-07-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-07-2019, 09:24 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
I hope you ordered a FLUIDYNE Ralph. I couldn’t be happier with mine. They still have the core that I provided to them to use as as a template.
Well, no; I couldn't afford one, not at those rates.

Not that wasn't a great deal for one, now! Just out of my ballpark pricewise.

RwP

Fuelly
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-07-2019, 09:37 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
What kind did you end up getting?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
What kind did you end up getting?
FM Tuning; price is OK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunderbird...5/254050645757

Not a Mishimoto or Fluidyne, but it is all aluminum.

RwP

Fuelly
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
Had he stated or shown that the mounts were cut off, that would be a different story. The only status description that was here or on eBay was “used” and “good quality used”. Dented tanks- fine- that’s used (but real pictures would have been nice). But to omit that 2 of the 4 mounting brackets are cut off? That seems scummy. Am I wrong here?

And I would have happily paid quite a bit more, but there were no other bidders. But if I would have know that it had missing mounts, regardless if they could be “easily improvised” by some people, I probably would have passed on the sale.
Well, I’ll give you $62 shipped for it

I’m not sure I can even get on board with calling it scummy. You know how aftermarket parts often “fit” these cars, there’s a pretty good chance the mounts that were there were about as useful as they are now, and the OP lopped them off for better fitment, may be the same case with the dented side tanks. At the end of the day this radiator was installed in a running car for presumably many years before being recently parted. “Good used condition” on a mechanical item is just that, it works as it should but don’t expect it to be like NOS, this is salvage terminology, you buy this from U-pull-it it would be considered good used condition(and cost about what you paid).

Now could/should rhino have been more detailed in the description? Yes! But I can only speak from my own experience that just about every aftermarket part on my car needed to be tweaked in one way or another to fit and function properly, and if the choice between listing something like this as “good used condition” and “damaged”, I’d pick the former, because it definitively fits our obscure chassis and does not in fact have any damage to the all important core, which is all that matters with a used radiator.

That you would have hypothetically bid more is irrelevant, you got a good deal in reality, and given the limited market for these cars there was a pretty good chance you’d not get outbid anyway. The OP got $42 for a radiator he originally paid $500 for, you won.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 07-07-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-07-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Sorry you feel this way. And I am sorry that people have to call this scummy. The radiator is in the exact condition it was when I bought it. It fit in my 97 T bird fine with some custom top tab mounts for ten years and never leaked. Anytime someone can get a MSRP $850 radiator for $42 still seems like a deal to me. Feel free to continue to bash my fine quality used products as you see fit. And for taking the pictures to not show the tabs, I took the pictures to not show my flip flops, but welcome to the internet of experts, thank you Al Gore
Trunk Monkey likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Unread 07-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
I took the pictures to not show my flip flops

Im glad you cleared that up. Nobody wanted to see your nasty fucked up looking feet anyways.
Trunk Monkey likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in