TCCoA Forums banner

Power antenna mast

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  30thAnniversaryCat 
#1 ·
Need advice for changing the plastic piece that winds into the power antenna. I am having trouble removing the old mast. Seems stuck. Is it just a matter of having to pull on it REAL hard to get it out of the housing and replace with a new mast? I have no trouble removing the nut that surrounds the sleeve or the sleeve that sits on the fender. Thanks.

#2 ·
When mine broke I found an aftermarket antennae for about 20 bucks online. I don't have a link to offer but I remember that as one of my easier repairs after reading up on it here from searches.

#3 ·
It seems to me there's a piece of plastic on the end of the 'gear' section that keeps it from coming out, but it usually breaks off when it goes bad.

If it won't pull out, you may need to yank the entire assembly; there's at least one screw behind the plastic wheelwell cover.

It may be in the door jamb, but I don't think so.

You pull the nut at the top and the screw, unplug the connectors (Power and antenna), and it slides out from the wheelwell.

Have you tried pulling it up hard, while cycling the antenna/radio on/off?
You may be getting to a good section of gear, and it won't slip past.

These go bad by operating the radio when water is frozen in the assembly; always look, and if it doesn't come up, turn the radio off quickly.
I ran a stereo shop 30 years ago, and we replaced a bunch of power antennas every time we had an ice storm, lol.
$100 a pop, antenna and install. (We didn't have Chinese $10 antennas then, lol.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.