TCCoA Forums banner

TV Cable Disaster

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  dirtyd0g 
#1 ·
It happened. My Daughter had the car and was about 35 miles away when the grommet broke and the TV Cable fell off. She made it home. By that time, the tranny was a wreck. For several years, I've been putting off changing the grommet. :mad: Now, my tendency to put things off has cost me $2,000, all for a $2.88 grommet. Warning for everyone reading this - "Change the grommet".

#7 ·
Richard Dalkranian said:
Pardon my stupidity but is this grommet used on the 94 4R70W trannys too? and if so where is it? Thanks,
Richard
No. The 4r70w uses the computer and the throttle position sensor.

#9 ·
Okay, this should be made a sticky dammit.

I have missed this little tidbit of critical information and my tranny just bit it. All because of a worn grommet/clip, that is now costing me $1500+ for a rebuild. A used AOD is $500 CDN including freight, so what's the point in going through the trouble of Re & Re with an old worn wrecker tranny.

BTW, if you are still able to get them, the grommets are no longer supplied by Ford, at least not in Canada. If your Car is old enough that it has an AOD and you have never replaced that part, save yourself some huge grief and replace it NOW.

Okay. Done. You can go get one now. Bye.

#10 ·
lol, i stock them. quite common for all the aod's.

#12 ·
soop said:
Okay, this should be made a sticky dammit.

I have missed this little tidbit of critical information and my tranny just bit it. All because of a worn grommet/clip, that is now costing me $1500+ for a rebuild. A used AOD is $500 CDN including freight, so what's the point in going through the trouble of Re & Re with an old worn wrecker tranny.

BTW, if you are still able to get them, the grommets are no longer supplied by Ford, at least not in Canada. If your Car is old enough that it has an AOD and you have never replaced that part, save yourself some huge grief and replace it NOW.

Okay. Done. You can go get one now. Bye.
Do you mean the rubber grommet or the brass bushing with the hairclip?

Mike Donley

#13 ·
Mike Donley said:

Do you mean the rubber grommet or the brass bushing with the hairclip?

Mike Donley
It's a nylon sleeve that fits over the pin on the cable end and friction-fits into the hole in the throttle body linkage.

Over time, with engine heat and wear, they break down, crack, and fall apart.

#14 ·
OK, I had a problem with my car not shifting correctly, so I took it to the dealer and they fixed it with a replacement bushing kit. P/N F3SZ 7H303 B. It is a brass bushing that the cable end fits into and a hairpin clip that snaps onto the end to secure it. Costs 1.24.

Mike Donley

#15 ·
just have to add the nylon one is pn eoaz7f330a

#16 ·
When i had my 87 crown vic i used a tie wrap to hold it into place. Then when i started at ford someone gave me the brass bushing and clip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.