walmart screwed me - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Question walmart screwed me

so i am so frustrated with the one of 3 walmart here in town. i took my bird to them to get the oil changed on the 28th of march. so i havent drove my bird for 2 weekes and when i went to start it up a couple of days ago i heard a loufd grinding sound. so i reported it to them and the had me fill out a complaint form, and came to my house checked it out and there was an fresh oil spot, and they filled me up told me to come to the shop and they would redo the job. so here idsthe
question i have "it has quieted down a little, and they gave me a 25 dollar gift card to satisfy me". could there be engine damage or not. i have got 3 quotes so far from 1890.00 as far as 4900.00 bucks, the most expensive is the dealer which i figured, what do i do. a buddy of mine said he can fix it for me. do i fix it and whaterver is left spend it on the bird or what.

can you guys give me some insight.
flybird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If the engine was making a grinding noise, it is done and needs to be rebuilt. Don't let the fact that it quieted down fool you. I would suggest you get what you can from wal-mart as compensation, buy a PI motor to replace your existing one, and learn the valuable lesson of not trusting anyone to work on your car.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

What did Walmart do wrong and what is now wrong with your car as a result?

Mitch
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
If they hadn't put the oil back in at the store you would have known immediatly!

How did you get the car home?
Did it run smooth on the drive home?
Do you think they under filled the car when they refilled the oil?
May be they didn't get the drain plug or filter on tightly enough and the oil leaked out on the way home or in your driveway or garage?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 04-17-2008 at 03:25 PM.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
They probably either left the drain plug loose or double-gasketed the filter. He said there was a puddle of oil under his car, so it must have leaked out of somewhere.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Why on Gods green earth would you take your car to Walz-Mart???

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
if it is still making odd noises the motor is screwed, contact the lube manager or district manager and tell them the issues your having.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
like the other guys said...it makes no sense.....why take it to wal-mart when you can do it yourself?......you dont need more than 1 parking space to do it, and all of 20minutes or less.....i work two jobs and take 5 classes and still manage to do all my own work on my car

also since you said "a buddy of mine said he can fix it for me. do i fix it and whaterver is left spend it on the bird or what."

what exactly is "it"?
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
How bad is the noise? Where is it coming from? Did it make the noise on the way home from Fart-Mart? Where did it leak out from? Ask them where it leaked from. If it is they're problem, then your gonna need a lawyer to sue them. Then you can get a rebuilt motor and install it.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
After several issues with mechanics years ago, I went to the library and started learning how to work on my own car (except alignments). Even when I got new tires from Costco, I took the tires off my car, threw them in the truck and drove them down to Costco and had them replace them that way.

I have little faith in mechanics anymore. "Get it in, get it fixed (whether it's right or not) and get it out..."

I'm even reluctant to take my Town Car in for a recall on the speed control.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
Why on Gods green earth would you take your car to Walz-Mart???
Really. It's bad enough they are destroying America, so you are supposed to let them destroy your car too?

Bob
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

You let walmart "the king of discount stores" work on your car?

I would tell them straight up: you're fixing this to my satisfaction, now, or I am suing you. End of story.

Then get them to pay you the cost of a PI swap and be done with them forever.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
one in a million

I would not accept anything from wal-mart "25 dollar gift card" without talking to a legal assistant first... IMO

Good luck tho with what ever happens..
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
fyi you accepted hush money

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

walmart screwed me

i usually change the oil myself, but i thought id try them out. also the engine has quieted down but im still hearing it a little. someone told me i can still have engine damage. also a buddy of mine has worked on cars for 30 plus years and he told me to get the money from them , then turn around he will help me with the problem and whatever is left, put it into the bird.

flybird
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderferret View Post
Really. It's bad enough they are destroying America, so you are supposed to let them destroy your car too?

Bob

Are you agreeing with me?

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 AM
PostWhore

Sounds to me like the best excuse for a PI swap ever. Not to mention it's paid for by wal-mart. I'd say have a mechanic figure out exactly what the problem is and what the cause was and verify that walmart is at fault. Above all else, make sure you get a lawyer to go with you. As clean of a bird as you have (minus the wing and fake hood scoop) it would be a real shame to see it in the junkyard solely because walmart screwed up something as simple as changing the oil.

I'm Mister_T and I approve this message.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 AM
6th Gear Poster

You are not telling us what happened. When they removed the oil filter, did the O-ring gasket stick to the adapter and then they put the new filter on top of it? I have seen this before.

Mitch
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 AM
PostWhore

sucks man but my 92 5.0 was a victim of a similar incident, the old lady that owned the car before me took it to 5 min oil change to get the oil changed. they supposily changed the oil and when she left she heard it was making a loud clanking noise. she drove it straight to the dealership and they told her she had thrown the main bearing and they quoted her $4500 to rebuilt the engine. she drove the car home and parked it, 2 weeks later she put a for sale sign on it and i purchased the car for $500 w/ 108k miles and the back seat had never been sat in. she was the original owner and ordered the car to her liking back in 92. car was recently repainted 6 months to me purchasing it and had the suspension redone at ford less than a year before i got it. she also had the a/c system redone less than a year before i bought it. car was in mint shape with all service being done by ford and the interior was flawless.

anyway, i put oil in it and it fired right up first time every time. the fools at the oil change place simply forgot to put oil in it. i was lucky, even though she drove the car approx 3 miles with no oil in it whatsoever. it didn't damage the engine enuff for the rings to leak. it didn't leak oil at all, didn't even loose oil between changes.

i raced it for a year never lost, raced a 95 4.6 bird, 2k integra w/ motor swap, and a 02 ls1 camaro with a slipping auto trany in july of 07 i hydrolocked the motor by driving through a puddle of water with my bumper mounted cold air intake

swapped out the 5.0 for a 351w
now the car has bigg plans

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd get a lawyer and see what they say. You'll have to take it to a reputible mech to have it checked out. Then they will go from there. Never take it to Wal Mart or any other place for that matter. If you have to for some reason, then double check all their work. Like when they change my wifes oil. I check it every time. Pisses them off. I don't trust them. She has lifetime oil changes. So I know some thing is up with that.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:36 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post

Are you agreeing with me?
Yes! I have no love for Wal Mart, as if you couldn't tell

Bob
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
I hate walmart with a freakin passion. I hate them, I hate them. I don't want them.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

F**K WAL-MART!

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to punkrokr1701 Send a message via MSN to punkrokr1701 Send a message via Yahoo to punkrokr1701
yeh man sorry to hear that but hey in the long run you get a new PI intake hehe, freakin wally world krap only thing their good for is diapers

98% of teens have turned to rap; if your one of the 2% who still listen to "real" music copy this
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativedetroiter View Post
I hate walmart with a freakin passion. I hate them, I hate them. I don't want them.
WalMart is the poor persons friend...
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Save the Panther

The funny part is he's only PO'd at one of the Wal-Marts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsplayer View Post
so i am so frustrated with the one of 3 walmart here in town.

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Sorry I had to...

I'd be careful if I where you...you don't want to make the Wal-mart angry.

Listen if you want to fight the Wal-mart you have to find the heart....I've said too much....find the heart...argh...it's near the television department....arrrrrgh! urk!

post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Seriously the Wall-Mart is dangerous like a 1 eyed driver in rush hour traffic.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
... a 1 eyed driver in rush hour traffic.
HEY! I resemble that remark!!!
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 PM
PostWhore

Garage
lol

yep I can agree with everything said about Wal-Mart from personal experience. I used to stock groceries and work out in TLE. They are the biggest pile of holy crap on the face of this planet. they from the time I worked in TLE they fired and/or drove out all there good Tech's, and hired a bunch of morons fresh from there GED tests who knew nothing about cars. I watched them leave lug nuts loose, not put oil in cars, forget to put oil filters on, drop cars off swing arm lifts.... you name it. I finally had to get out of there, so I started calling in till they fired me. dont EVER, EVER take you bird to them or any other quick lube. they will put that car in an early grave.

P.S. Stiffy Lube is far worse at oil leeks, loose filters,and tweeked drain plugs IMO. i got allot of there Mile Guard crap wile working the pit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in